FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts nukke's clay play - new mug in the work
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
nukke's clay play - new mug in the work
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 10:35 am   Permalink

Hey NuKKe
those Moai are very cool.
can I buy 1?

or are they for your house?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-03 10:35, bigtikidude wrote:
Hey NuKKe
those Moai are very cool.
can I buy 1?

or are they for your house?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

let's take it offline

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 12:48 pm   Permalink

thank you all for the comments about the Moais. I'm happy to say that a couple of weeks ago one of the gang landed safely somewhere in the US and handled a portion of Mai Kai Barrel of Rum, so I've been told
Here's my piece for the Tiki Art Swap that's taking place here in the forums.

It's a ceramic wall plaque made of red (background) and white (carved bit) clay, adapted from a wooden plaque-shield that belongs to a friend's mom, who was PNG's honorary consul here in Israel. Her apartment is filled with amazing Oceanic art and artifacts. My friend had promised me a play-date with her mom in a couple of weeks - can't wait!

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-30 1:07 pm   Permalink

Very cool nuKKe! You going to take and post pictures of the PNG goldmine?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 1:16 pm   Permalink

Cute Moais
and this PNG Swap piece is most excellent!
GIRL POWER!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-30 12:48, nuKKe wrote:
thank you all for the comments about the Moais. I'm happy to say that a couple of weeks ago one of the gang landed safely somewhere in the US and handled a portion of Mai Kai Barrel of Rum, so I've been told

Oh, you mean this one.......

& very nice piece for the Swap!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 2:07 pm   Permalink

Hey NuKKE,

That Swap piece is just breath taking!! Two thumbs waaaay up :-)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 3:51 pm   Permalink

I like that piece a lot! How about another pic or two from an angle?

[ This Message was edited by: 4WDtiki 2009-06-30 15:51 ]

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 10:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-30 14:00, croe67 wrote:

Oh, you mean this one.......

& very nice piece for the Swap!!

Yes! Thanks for posting!

nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 10:37 pm   Permalink

thank you, MDM (it's already there), LLT, Babalu and 4WDTiki.
I haven't taken pics from other angles, as there is nothing to see on the side.
Oh, I wanted to show you this -

(sorry for the pic that really doesn't do it justice). Grandma Malka finally gave up and gave me this wall piece that she carved. In the mid 1990's my grandmother started takig woodcarvind/ sculpting classes at the senior citizens' community center in her neighbourhood. Her tutor, she always tells forbade them using reference images. "Work with your imagination and with the wood", he said. This is one of her first pieces, carved in 1995. Born and raised in Tel Aviv, I don't think she knows what tiki is (she's been to Florida in the late 1970's, but couldn't confirm a visit to the Mai Kai (as opposed to my maternal grandparents who've been to Hawaii and to a Benihana restaurant, evidence is
here). It is neither 'pure' tiki nor African, but I've always loved this slim and smooth piece and for a few years I've been nagging her that I want it. She refuses to part with her work and it took alot of persuasions from my uncle, who noticed my fascination with this piece, but eventually she gave it to me.
Grandma stopped carving a few years ago, due to neurological deficiencies and now lives in an apartment filled with wooden glory - from kitchy bamby pieces (she managed to sneak a reference image once!) to neat abstract-modern creations. This one greets whoever enters our living room - mostly the cats.

nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 12:29 pm   Permalink

Long time no updating and I've got plenty of excuses in hand. Here are the main two:
1. In July my ceramics teacher gave birth to a beautiful baby girl (whom I had the honor to nanny for a couple of months in the winter) and took a maternity leave for a few months.

2. For someone who makes her living off of the internet I'm really lousy when it comes to actually uploading pictures.

I haven't been making many tikis this year, but until I actually take pictures of completed projects, here's a progress shot of Cook's Loot, a series inspired by a sculpture taken by Captain Cook on his expedition to Hawaii It's HUGE and the mold is so heavy that I am discouraged by it. The first bisqued, underglazed, double-glazed duo went in the kiln for the 3rd time on Thursday, but here it is, fresh out of the mold.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-10 7:03 pm   Permalink

nuKKe, good to see your work again. Sounds like life is full! Cook's Loot is a hoot! Hope you sell it for lots of cash so you can buy your own kiln

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-10 7:28 pm   Permalink

Cook's Loot- what a great name! Can't wait to see the finished pieces.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 01:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-10 19:03, MadDogMike wrote:
nuKKe, good to see your work again. Sounds like life is full! Cook's Loot is a hoot! Hope you sell it for lots of cash so you can buy your own kiln

LOL - looks like I need it, because my teacher's closing down the studio in a couple of months; she's doing the escape to the country thingy and while raku sessions are planned, it cannot be compared to the weekly classes.

croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 05:12 am   Permalink

WOW!!!!!

That looks just AMAZING - a very original & cool design for a mug!

Oh, and welcome back

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation