FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Bilge Ľ Ľ Has today's TC crowd lost it's original warmth?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Has today's TC crowd lost it's original warmth?
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 08:41 am   Permalink

This is regarding the awesome show we attended last night at the fantastic Don The Beachcomberís. Tikiyaki Orchestra was awesome! (love their karate PJs!) And Donís was brilliant with an essence of vintage tiki I havenít felt since the Royal Hawaiian. The drinks were great, the food was fab, the music was superb.

HOWEVERÖ.

I wasn't sure I should say anything, but maybe I'm not the only one. I'll stick this in bilge, as I'm sure quite a few members will believe it to be so.

I hate to cast a disparaging word, but not everyone was having a good time. I was really kinda surprised (and sad!) to see so many sour faces! Sitting at the tables, waiting for the music to begin. People out at the main bar, waiting for drinks looked especially annoyed. I was seated at the bar and when I tried to talk to them, I was (somewhat) politely ignored.

I had met a few new people that happened to be there (not TCers) and was filling them in on everything. They commented that we didn't seem to be a very happy group. One gal from Colorado asked if we were a bereavement group! Like cancer survivors or something! I thought to myself she was nuts. But as I really looked around, I could see how she came to that conclusion.

I went up to different people that were sitting around, not chatting, and said hi. I received lukewarm hellos, half hearted hiís and one cold stare! Two people told me their TC screen names were something outlandish and false. Very aloof and remote! My husband sat alone a few times, saving my seat as I visited the restroom or made runs to the bar for us. Usually, on my return, I would find him engaged in conversation with someone. He said not one person said hi or spoke to him as he sat there alone. This is unusual.

OK. I get that maybe I donít look just like themÖI donít wear the spiffy 50s mod clothes or the BC glasses that make me look like a cool nerd. I also donít wear the vintage bark cloth gowns, or anything vintage for that matter. I am not a rockabilly, surf punk, 40s wannabe or pretty much tiki wearing anything. But that used to never be a problem. I wasnít wearing smelly, torn clothing. I did not look like a dirt bag. I was not inebriated to the point that I was obnoxious. I didnít look any where out of the norm. Whatís up with this?

Iíve been hearing a few grumblings from people that events are overcrowded, impersonal, and somewhat snooty. Itís like a lot of people have become standoffish and inaccessible. Superior acting. Even elitist.

I was drawn to this crowd over 4 years ago because of the warm, friendly, all encompassing manner displayed by each and every one of the lovely citizens of TC. They were just happy to meet and greet any one from any walk of life, no matter what they were wearing, what there job was, or their station in life. I thought it was the mai tais and rum, at first. But as I got to know them, I found it to be a genuine affability that ran through this crowd. We always felt like we could step back to a time when people were civil, polite and welcoming to each other. THAT is swanky.

What gives? Donít get me wrong. Itís not everyone! But it sure is hard to meet new people nowadays! Is it the economy? The National mood? Is there a conspiracy I'm not aware of to curtail the welcoming of too many of the masses?
I canít figure it out. I'm kinda heart broken.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-04-19 10:23 am   Permalink

Go to Bamboo ben's nooner on May 3rd, and GROG bet it will be a much different vibe. Tiki Oaisis is always a blast, also.And don't be shy.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 4:31 pm   Permalink

My opinion is that whenever I am out and about I concern myself very little with the rest of the folks and have a great time regardless.

If I am having fun than pretty much everyone else doesn't matter.

It's a shame you felt a negative vibe but next time you are out among the tiki crowd dont worry about anyone but yourself. Than you know you will always have a blast.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 6:30 pm   Permalink

After reading another thread, I see what was going on.
I guess with it being such a busy night, the staff was overwhelmed. A lot of folks were saying they were unhappy with the food, drinks, service. So what I was seeing was the result of such.

I still had a great time! I order my drink the way I like it (Pineapple juice, Malibu and silver rum-shaken) and I liked it! I tried the Mister's mai tai and I'll stick with my favorite.

We didn't eat, as we had already dined with family. So I can't comment on the service. Someone said they ran out of food?

What with the awesome tunes from the TO and the ambience of the place, we had a swell time. It was just sad to hear an outsider (2, actually-unrelated instances) make comments about us seeming craptacular in our attitudes.

Oh well. I think things can only get better from here. Don's will improve, as day to day operations are more familiar.

But I still think everyone shoulda been having a great time regardless. I mean, rum, TO tunes, a swell place to gather and all! To me, it's a given that I will have fun! Even when everything isn't poifect!

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 08:44 am   Permalink

The way it works is this: There are several Tiki centralites I have gotten to know over the years, and I either came up to them or they came up to me, and we exchanged friendly greetings or otherwise had a good conversation. Woohoo, soccer, Jim, Marty Lush, Bamboo Ben, Lucky Designs, Polypop, Little lost Tiki, Grog..these are people I interacted well with that night, and people I find to be always friendly. There were a few others as well.

But, there are also "kool Kids" who I don't talk to, or who won't talk to me. And really, I don't even care. I am not there for them. I am there for an awesome band, great decor in a cool tiki temple, and a lot of cool people.

I get what you are saying. There was one vendor there who looked at me as though I was a moron, and treated my like garbage, talking to me like I was just some idiot. I guess this guy was too cool for school. Again, I really don't care. I am not a hip dude and never will be, but my wife still loves me! (And in the end, that's all that matters)

I echo what Grog said. Come to the May 3rd nooner. it's gonna be a blast!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 09:12 am   Permalink

Lucas sez...
Quote:
There was one vendor there who looked at me as though I was a moron

"as though" you were a moron?
but you are a moron,Lucas!

see you on the 3rd!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:25 am   Permalink

True!!!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:26 am   Permalink

Kevin's the one you REALLY gotta watch out for!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-20 09:12, little lost tiki wrote:
Lucas sez...
Quote:
There was one vendor there who looked at me as though I was a moron

"as though" you were a moron?
but you are a moron,Lucas!

see you on the 3rd!

Ruzic calling Lucas moron. That like POT calling kettle Weed (or something like that). GROG president of Moron club, Kinny Sargeant at Arms.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:50 am   Permalink

That's like Ernie calling George the Animal bald and ugly!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 11:00 am   Permalink

Can we all just agree that weed is good?

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 11:06 am   Permalink

Yes! Especially considering the date today!

GROG

Posted: 2009-04-20 11:08 am   Permalink

Kinny calling Ernie ugly like Ernie calling Kinny smart----everybody know statement opposite.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:
lucas vigor Posted: Today; 08:44 am

The way it works is this: There are several Tiki centralites I have gotten to know over the years, and I either came up to them or they came up to me, and we exchanged friendly greetings or otherwise had a good conversation. Woohoo, soccer, Jim, Marty Lush, Bamboo Ben, Lucky Designs, Polypop, Little lost Tiki, Grog..these are people I interacted well with that night, and people I find to be always friendly. There were a few others as well.

I have to echo what lucas stated above. I have been a member of TikiCentral since 2004, but never really started going to any of the events until this year. Most of the people that I have met were because I went up and introduced myself, but there are definitely others that seem to want to remain in cliques and not want to be bothered by others. But the ones that I have met so far are the coolest and friendliest to be found: Bamboo Ben, Marty, Jim (Mr. Tikiyaki)and Squid, to name a few. I even ran into Soccer at the bar who suggested I try the Zombie. There are others from TikiCentral posts that I will definitely meet when the opportunity presents itself, like Jungle Trader, Okolehao, Iokona, etc . All great guys!

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-20 11:33, Dano wrote:
Quote:
lucas vigor Posted: Today; 08:44 am

I have to echo what lucas stated above. I have been a member of TikiCentral since 2004, but never really started going to any of the events until this year. Most of the people that I have met were because I went up and introduced myself, but there are definitely others that seem to want to remain in cliques and not want to be bothered by others. But the ones that I have met so far are the coolest and friendliest to be found: Bamboo Ben, Marty, Jim (Mr. Tikiyaki)and Squid, to name a few. I even ran into Soccer at the bar who suggested I try the Zombie. There are others from TikiCentral posts that I will definitely meet when the opportunity presents itself, like Jungle Trader, Okolehao, Iokona, etc . All great guys!

It's the little touches that count, especially when the people throwing the shindig are personally greeting people, going out of thier way to be cool.
For example, as busy as they were, both Jim and Marty were standing by the entrance greeting everyone. I almost tipped Marty, actually!

Bamboo Ben, when he hosts an event, is always cordial and pleasant to everyone.

When my band has played Buster's beachhouse, JonPaul's wife Marie (The bartender) goes out of her way to make you feel at home.

Those are just some examples.

For me, I don't get out much. So when I do, I like to spend time among friends. Most of the people who hang out at these tiki central events are in that "friends" category. Some are not, but you know what? I would not want to be in their clique anyway. I try not to even waste any mental energy on them.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation