FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Has today's TC crowd lost it's original warmth?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Has today's TC crowd lost it's original warmth?
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 12:58 pm   Permalink

Not US!

We're ANGELS!

[ This Message was edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-04-30 13:07 ]

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-29 21:52, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-04-29 21:20, Jungle Trader wrote:
pix please!

Now, you know you can't trust any pix these guys post, right? Nothin but photoshop. Completely manufactured. And poorly, at that!

Yup, Unga Bunga is good at photoshop. I found out the hard way.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 08:43 am   Permalink

Has TC lost it's Original Warmth...

Judging from the huge crowd at Bamboo Ben's NOONER...

it is actually WARMER and FRIENDLIER than ever!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 12:57 pm   Permalink

Oh, OK, so "nooner" was a euphemism for another Califusa hot tub orgy.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 1:39 pm   Permalink

and don't forget BUBBLIER!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 2:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-30 10:18, ravenne wrote:
I love that this thread went from a TCer's concern about the warm of TC....to nekkid.

I think the problem with TC isn't that people are clique-y it's just massive Adult ADD and ADHD.

it would explain everything!!!

What, exactly, are you tring to im

OMG! There's a new Tiki Bar TV available!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-04 08:43, little lost tiki wrote:
Has TC lost it's Original Warmth...

Judging from the huge crowd at Bamboo Ben's NOONER...
it is actually WARMER and FRIENDLIER than ever!

If you mean warm like cooked lobster, then hell yes the TC crowd is warmer than ever after "The Nooner"!

Quote:

On 2009-05-04 11:52, Swamp Fire wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-05-03 23:24, tikithomas08 wrote:
in retrospects, sunscreen would have been a good call.

Can you say "Farmers Tan"

That's a pain that's gonna linger. Ouch!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 08:31 am   Permalink

the best part of the NOONER was teling everybody that that the HOBO VILLAGE was located...in the heart!
because everyone has a little hobo village in their heart....

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 10:44 am   Permalink

I'm feeling the warmth.

Poly Pop and Bigtikidude

actually I thought it was pretty funny.
I call my self a bigfoot all the time.
and bigfoot and Chewbacca have to be related somehow.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2009-05-05 10:45 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-24 22:23, RevBambooBen wrote:
The east coasters are a friendly bunch indeed!

No we aren't. We just pretend so you won't go snooping around, telling us how we should treat our women, laughing at our puny little waves. We know how you people operate and we don't like it. Not one little bit.

What's that? You're here on vacation and have money to spend?

WELCOME TO THE SUNSHINE STATE!!!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 4:41 pm   Permalink

It's weird, but I find that tiki events can be really variable, at least for me. But I need to stress the "at least for me", 'cause it probably IS just me.

Recently, for example, I had an absolute BLAST at the Don The Beachcomber opening, the Tiki Bar TV 4th Birthday party at The Warehouse, and at the Trader Vic's L.A. pre-opening. 3 events -- 3 fantastic times. Then, for whatever reason, I left Bamboo Ben's Nooner last Sunday feeling let down and depressed.

And why? Again, it was probably ME. No -- scratch that. It was DEFINITELY me. 'Cause the event itself ROCKED, as did the bands! There was a huge, festive, fun-loving crowd there and Ben was the perfect host, making himself available and helpful to everybody (and I assume the same was true of Mrs. Boo -- I just haven't MET her yet -- oddly enough, after all these years). But sometimes all it takes is one or two awkward encounters to taint the whole experience.

A perfect example of that was when I attempted to chat with Holden at his Tiki Farm booth. Now, I'd had nifty chats with him at other recent events, but he wasn't a VENDOR at those. But at the Nooner... Well, that was a futile experience from the get-go because he was SWAMPED with people every minute wanting either to chat or to buy something. And so, rather than just sayin' "aloha" & goin' my merry way, I stood there and stood there and... And all to NO avail 'cause he was never NOT busy and swamped. And so I ended up feeling ridiculous for wasting all that time when I could have been visiting with other TC'ers who were not VENDING!

Live and learn. But that doesn't mean that TC'ers OR the events have lost their friendliness, it just means I needed to refocus and just move on to other things/people. Finally I DID do that at the Nooner and had nifty chats with Doug Horne & other artists during their less swamped moments, and kool reunions with some of my fellow attendees. But, by that time, my lack of sunscreen had caught up with me and I had to either head back home to West L.A. or risk ending up on the menu at Red Lobster!

And I've had similar experiences at a few other events over the years as well, having two nifty days at Oasis, let's say, vrs. a couple so-so days at the SAME Oasis. So there ya go... Like I said, it's just me. But at the time it CAN seem like it's all THEM!

Cheers & Mahalo

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 9:06 pm   Permalink

Self portrait at the Nooner.

Next time we're getting more help so we can be able to chat with everyone

more than 4.5 seconds. It was crazy busy!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 1:10 pm   Permalink

I have to bump this thread.
I feel that some folks in the Seattle area TC group are elitist and exlusionary.
they knowingly turn their backs on you.
You know who you are...
I'm a sensitive soul, and it makes me feel brused and sad every time it happens.
I guess I just don't understand how anyone can be so clique-ish and knowingly separate... It's like the "cool kids club" in school all over again.

What the hell happened to the sprit of ALOHA????

Life is too damn short to treat people badly...

I'm now feeling nervous about the upcomming Tikikon on Portland, because I'm not really known by many folks.. It can be hard to make connections in a new social environment.
Please, someone out there give me a reason to feel better about this!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 1:31 pm   Permalink

it's probably just you.palapa!

You and Kreepytiki should hang out!

at the pappy Haggler's booth in the Artist Alley this Oasis
Squid and i will have a purchase line
and a chit-chat line
that way,we can rake in all the purchases first
and then...
when ALL the items have all been sold
We'll sit and chaw the fat with y'alls...

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 1:43 pm   Permalink

In any group of people who a common interest as a "bond" there's going to be lots of variances in likes and friendliness. This is true whether it's Tiki, dogs, old cars, or religion. (Big churches are well known for having cliques and attitudes and those are people who claim to share a common faith that makes them better people.)

Do you really think that all the people at a cat show are great friends or even friendly towards each other just because they happen to like cats?

Just because someone is into Tiki and you're into Tiki doesn't mean they're going to be into you. You can't take it personally.

There have always been people on Tiki Central who, judging from their posts, I have never been interested in getting to know. And at Rockabilly shows and some Tiki events it's been fairly clear to me that there are others who have no interest in talking to me. How do I know? The classic "Excuse me..." and they walk off 3 feet to either stand and stare into space or talk to someone who they obviously consider to be much cooler than me.

I could take it personally but I'd really rather people were bluntly honest than pretend to be friendly while quietly thinking I'm a dork and wishing there was someone cooler to talk to. (Or pretending to be happy to see me after they'd previously given me the brush off.)

You pretty much can't change people's preferences about you. You can only decide to not act like them.

When I show up at an event and see the people who made it clear they had no interest in me I just look right past them and have a good time anyway.

Focus your time and energy on your actual friends and loved ones and not on people you assumed would be lovely and friendly but who proved themselves otherwise.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation