FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-31 7:46 pm   Permalink

That snake was probably so fat after swallowing that deer that it couldn't move! My grandfather used to go fishing down in Baja. He would tell the story that a truck carrying onyx eggs turned over in one of the washes, spilling the eggs. They picked up most, but not all of the eggs when they righted the truck but the remained eggs ended up being snake traps. Snakes (which naturally eat eggs) would swallow those rock eggs and would die because they were too heavy to crawl. He said that you would find snake skeletons with onyx eggs inside them.

I can't swear the story was true but sometimes fact is stranger than fiction

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 02:47 am   Permalink

a grey kangaroo, with her little joey further out.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-05 1:13 pm   Permalink

I dont have anything as exotic as kangaroos in my backyard, but I did spot this very rare Red Bellied Pond Thrasher;

Isn't he handsome? Just like his Poppi!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-05 6:34 pm   Permalink

a fine lookin' lad MDM.....call him madpup?

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

Hey komohana...was that parrot a Kea?

The dangerous toddler...lol.

With the cold weather starting to hit us, I have been killing a few of these guys that sneak in when a door is opened.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-05 7:37 pm   Permalink

hi Vamp, the 28?, no they range from Western Australia to South Australia where they're
called Port Lincoln Ringneck.

The Kea are New Zealand parrots, south island i think, Club Noumea might know more about them.
Aren't they the birds that destroy cars up in the snow fields?

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-05 8:20 pm   Permalink

OK...ring neck....gotcha. I saw many Kea when I visited NZ....funny little creatures. I used to have a miniature parrot called a Caique. He used to make a sound like my phone ringing...tricked me every time. He had feathers on his legs that looked like bloomers and he walked like a sailor so I called him Popeye. He never was too happy in captivity so I gave him to a gal that raised Caiques.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-09 4:15 pm   Permalink

Was down in Puertecitos, Baja California a few weeks ago and saw this

Funny thing was it was on a hill overlooking the beach, was probably 50 feet above sea level. The story is that the whale died on the beach and they carried the bones up and put them on the hill

Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-09 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-31 13:07, AlohaStation wrote:
From this weekend's paper. 16' Boa caught digesting an adult deer, West of Miami.

I love this thread, and that "Boa" is a python.

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-09 5:46 pm   Permalink

Anole, Maui.

Green Sea Turtle, Oahu.

Mongoose, Oahu.

[ This Message was edited by: Gavin 2011-11-09 17:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gavin 2011-11-11 08:19 ]

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-10 7:11 pm   Permalink

OK, I deleted picture of Komodo Dragon at Honolulu Zoo. Also deleted my Falconry Goshawk with jesses. Tried to delete whole post but apparently that is not possible?
Anything else I can do for you?
I left the non indigenous wildlife however, hope that's ok. Even though they are technically invasive species they are in fact established and wild populations.

[ This Message was edited by: Gavin 2011-11-11 08:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gavin 2011-11-11 09:03 ]

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-11 07:44 am   Permalink

As much as I like animals - its a shame to see anything in captivity. Pets are great, I just don't want this thread to turn into pictures of exotic pets (there's already a thread for that) - they are not "wild". I like zoos too - but this thread is about the "WILD", and nature that is all around us. Lets keep this thread on track.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-11 11:10 am   Permalink

Thanks - Most of my posts deal with invasive species. Even the smallest (and mundane) encounter with wild critters/nature is welcome!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-17 8:11 pm   Permalink

I've killed 3 of these wolf spiders in the house in the past few weeks, time to set off some bug bombs or call in the National Guard! My son swears that they are baby Camel Spiders. He thought a shotgun would be the appropriate tool of choice to kill the one that was watching him sleep from across the room

No picture, but I witnesses something yesterday that's pretty common here but probably not so much where most of you live. They winter sheep in my area because of the mild climate and they just move them down the roads in flocks of several hundred. A goat on a leash in front, a couple of frantically nipping Australian Shepherd dogs in the back, and a sea of sheep moving down the road. If they are coming towards you down the road, you just stop and the sea parts around you in a matter of a couple of minutes. If you come up on them from behind, you have to follow at 5 MPH until you reach an intersection where you can turn a different direction.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 11:08 am   Permalink

While doing my monthly trail maintenance at Quiet Waters park, I found this guy trying to cross the access road. I moved him out of the way and took a few pictures.

As I was putting my tools away this large bird flew over and started eating something. I managed to get close not too close. This is a big Osprey.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation