FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-10 10:00 am   Permalink

While riding my bike the other night, I had a VERY close encounter with nature! There is a small gap in the fence at a local park. Joggers and cyclists use it to enter/leave the park. I approached quickly and did not notice the 6-8' iguana sitting right in the gap! I slid to a stop and he spun around whipping my bike with its tail (I moved my leg just in time). It then bolted for the canal knocking me and my bike out of the way. I didn't think much about it and proceeded to ride home. Along the way I felt something running down my leg - not blood! When the iguana whipped my bike it had sliced my water bottle (that was mounted on the frame) to shreds. I panicked for about a second till I saw the fluid was not red! That was a close call!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 6:30 pm   Permalink

WOW you lucky AlohaStation.
Turns out we thought the swallow babies had left but not so. They are stretching their necks out now and opening their mouths wide when mom and pop come flying in. They look a little cartoonish. Four of them I believe. Gotta get some pics and maybe video. We get harrassed heavily by mom when we walk out our front door. Raises the hair on my arms when she swoops down trying to peck my eyes out.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-12 4:31 pm   Permalink

Had a situation kinda like AS', but not as dangerous: while riding my bike @ 6 AM on the way to work (a mostly uphill 40 minute ride, in the dark), I noticed something peripherally on my left on a particularly steep stretch - a skunk. Lifted my leg high just as it spun and squirted, a good ten feet o'stink that would've saturated my lower leg & foot. Must've had babies around as he/she started to scamper up after me so I had to crank it over the crest.

And here's some neighbors who liked to drop in at my old apt. near Commercial Dr. -

- I always kept my back door open during the summer when I went to bed, and once in a while I'd wake up to see these silently lumbering shapes & glowing eyes explore the place...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 9:48 pm   Permalink

Close call twitch. I heard tomato sauce gets rid of skunk smell. I wonder if you could just throw a tomato at the skunk. You can have some of mine. Just put um in your front basket, ammo ready.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-14 4:04 pm   Permalink

Last month I had 2 Mexican Black Kingsnakes in front yard. Beautiful glossy black with faint yellow bands, but my wife hates snakes and said if she ever sees one we're moving back into town. Now, I have nothin' against you city folk but I can't live like that. So I caught them, transported them in the back of the truck a couple miles away and released them.

PS, for those of you contemplating 'qued 'possum - I've never tried it but my brother said they weren't fit to eat. And he'll eat most anything.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 1:29 pm   Permalink

A couple weeks ago I was riding my bike on some trails in Central Florida when I came across this little girly. A soft-shelled turtle about the size of a serving platter. She was digging her nest right in the middle of the trail - there was no water close. So I lifted her up and set her in an area where she wouldn't get run over.

Quote:

On 2009-07-14 16:04, MadDogMike wrote:
PS, for those of you contemplating 'qued 'possum - I've never tried it but my brother said they weren't fit to eat. And he'll eat most anything.

I went to the Annual Possum festival in a small town in North FL. Tried the Kabobs and the stew - both tasted great after drinking ALL DAY!! Also tried the rabbit and coon selections.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 09:33 am   Permalink

Damn!!! I missed it this year.

www.wausaupossumfestival.com

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 08:11 am   Permalink

So I was watchin' "Woodstock, Then and Now". Michael Lang is tellin' Santana they gotta go on stage and play. Nobody's ready, nobody. They go on anyway. Carlos is peakin' on mescaline. He thinks his guitar is a big red snake and he's gotta control it. Well YEAH! Carlos kicked ass on that big red snake. If you haven't heard "Soul Sacrifice" at Woodstock, sheeeeeit.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-08-27 19:41 ]

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 8:10 pm   Permalink

I was having drinks Friday night at the Mai Kai. In tradition we order our drink, ordered some food and went on a journey thru the Gardens. While wandering around we encountered this little guy. Not so "little" - probably 18-20". He had no fear, which is unusual for this species. I call them "Cubera" lizards - very shy, very bright green/yellow, this was my closest and longest encounter with one of these lizards. He hung out for several minutes and allowed me to stick my cell phone into its face for a few pics (I could have grabbed him easily). So the next time your in the Mai Kai garden keep your eyes open - you may not be alone!!

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 08:17 am   Permalink

I'm sure it doesn't mean to look sinister but it does. Nice pics. He's a beauty.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 12:05 pm   Permalink

The spring before last there was a rufus-sided towee (sp?) who was either in love with himself or was trying to attract a mate, whatever, he would spend the ENTIRE FREAKIN' DAY going from the windows on one end of the house to the other, jumping up and slamming into them! He did it all spring and well into the summer! This year he came back but only for a short time. Not only did he have a thing for our windows, but he also seemed to have a hard-on for the neighbors' brass kickplate on their front door!

It's been a long time since there's been any REAL wildlife in our area. When we first moved in we had all kinds of critters - including an opposum who got locked in the garage all night by accident and attempted to chew his way out through the rubber stripping at the bottom of the garage door!

The garter snakes are trying to make a come-back - all the new cats in the neighborhood basically wiped them out - but the quail haven't been back in nearly 16 years. VERY unfortunate. We only have the gray squirels and racoons on occassion. But I did enjoy watching a pair of killdeer raise their four young from egg to gone! They're the ones that try to fake you out with the broken wing trick! Fooled my dog!

Ahhhhh - suburbia!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-26 07:09 am   Permalink

Found this guy on Sunday morning in the hills above Mojeska Canyon.

[ This Message was edited by: Lucas Vigor 2009-10-26 12:22 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-27 3:00 pm   Permalink

Lucas you're getting better at this, so far a coyote and a tarantula.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-27 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-27 15:00, Jungle Trader wrote:
Lucas you're getting better at this, so far a coyote and a tarantula.

It was a nice halloween suprise, that's for sure! Coming down the trail above Flores peak, there it was...moving at a pretty fast clip, too! In all my years of hiking I have never actually seen one out in the wild...so I think it was a good omen!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 09:22 am   Permalink

While riding at Oleta State Park in North Miami Beach a buddy had a close encounter. This guy likes sitting in the trail and only has a slight interest when you ride next to him - he's always there on a very busy trail. I'll let you try and guess the size of this iguana.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation