FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 08:21 am   Permalink

Can you see it? In the middle of the tree is a nested Bald Eagle. The nest is on top of a tall Cyprus tree (maybe 100' up) at the County Park next to my house. It may look small in the picture but when it takes off, its wingspan is about 6+'.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 5:15 pm   Permalink

Nice Tom. One of my goals for this year is to photo-document every bird I can find within a half mile of my house. We are in a major migratory flypath and we get lots of species.

Speaking of birds, I saw something on my way to work the other day. I could see 2 medium sized birds in the road up ahead of me. As I approached in the car it was a pair of mallard ducks, one flew off to the right and the other FLOPPED of to the left - clearly it had a broken wing. It looked like the healthy one was staying with the wounded one - do ducks mate for life?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 9:54 pm   Permalink

Yes they do Mike. My 6th grade teacher told us his story of why he quit hunting. He once shot a duck and the ducks mate flew down to him and put its wing over the dead bird. The ducks mate actually died too, on the spot. He said it was the saddest thing he had ever seen and he put his jacket over them and never hunted again.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 10:15 pm   Permalink

Just have to share this, saw it on FB and it is hysterical...that is some serious talent there. TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP>>>>

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=704364939607865&set=vb.166337376743960&type=2&theater

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 11:37 am   Permalink

Here's a better picture of the Bald Eagle that has set up shop at my local park.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-17 12:52 pm   Permalink

Sweet Tom, with hatchlings!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 6:21 pm   Permalink

Found this giant Sphinx Moth trying to break into my house and eat my cat!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 6:28 pm   Permalink

Mike, don't those have a top speed of Mach 2?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-19 7:15 pm   Permalink

I got to see some whales and dolphins over the weekend. The crappy looking water is funnily in Mexico, but I think its just the lighting. The whale was right off the coast of my beach. I can't believe I've never seen one from shore in California. The dolphin was from shore. It is difficult to get pictures of these underwater mammals, as I am sure many of you know.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2014-02-19 19:17 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-25 08:19 am   Permalink

Not sure what this is? Some sort of bumblebee? We see bumblebees infrequently here but they are always black.

What's up with the giant insects?

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 10:56 pm   Permalink

Those Bald Eagle shots are awesome!!

I've been reluctant to post any snake stories without pictures and, strictly speaking, still don't have any as the brown snakes,
to which species the gwarda and dugite etc. belong, are generally shy and keep to themselves, unlike the tiger which is much more
aggressive, though not as common in our particular area.

Not wanting to bore anyone with our pets, I'll briefly say that at present we have two cats and the dog.

Jack on the left, mouser/ratter extraordinaire, tolerates the dog.
Rosie on the right is not my favourite in any way, shape or form, but has a strong bond with the dog.

Anyhow, my respect for Rose took a slight turn north about two months ago as I was in the shed and some
movement caught my attention. Looking over, I'll be buggered if she wasn't wrestling a small dugite, throwing
it into the air and biting it etc. I stood there stunned for a moment until the snake took off for shelter.
It went behind a stack of tyres, which I soon moved and could see the snake but wasn't quick enough to take
a photo before it moved behind our morning glory vine. I poked around for almost an hour without seeing it again.
I'd say it was about two feet long, maybe three.

A couple of days after that, the young couple next door said they had one about a foot long in their back room.

Around a week ago our other neighbour, a terrific old bloke, said that on two consecutive days he'd encountered
a large one about seven feet long in his yard. This being about as big as they come.

The land adjoining our back fence has only recently been developed and was essentially virgin bush beforehand.
The bloke that has built a house there is a landscaper and I've been taking keen interest in the work he's been
doing on his property. Yesterday I found the below shed skin that wasn't there the day before.
Measuring about four foot six inches, I'd say the owner was a about five foot and looks to be that of a dugite.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-03-02 20:32 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-20 02:14 am   Permalink

Happy Easter Tiki Central!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-20 4:32 pm   Permalink

Why do they just eat the plants I want and not the ones I don't want!

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-28 6:41 pm   Permalink

I took a Zoology class in college that had bird watching as part of it’s curriculum so I have paid attention to birds ever since. I have often thought about photo-documenting the birds of my area but the Imperial Valley is in a major migratory pathway and we have hundreds of bird species here. So I narrowed down the scope of my project by doing the birds I could find in one month (April) in the one square mile around my house. I came up with 35 species photographed and another 3 spotted but not photographed

One square mile with my house in the middle. Grass farmland, a hay compress, a small wetland, and some tumbleweed scrub area.

American Coot. They take off flying by running across the water

Anna’s Hummingbird (female)

Bank Swallow

Black Crowned Night Heron

Black Necked Stilt

Black Phoebe

Blue Winged Teal (not a great picture)

Boat Tailed Grackle

Brewer’s Blackbird

Burrowing Owl, with his burrow mate behind him

Cactus Wren (he wouldn’t come out in the sun for a better pic)

Cattle Egret

pair of Cinnamon Teals

Cliff Swallow

Common Yellowthroat

Desert Great Horned Owl (best pic I could get at night)

Eurasian Collared Dove

European Starling

Gambel’s Quail

Glossy Ibis

Great Egret

House Sparrow

Kildeer

pair of Mallards

Mourning Dove

Northern Mockingbird

Red Tailed Hawk

Red Winged Blackbird

Ring Neck Pheasant – this bird was standing gloriously in the morning sun when I drove past. By the time I stopped and got the camera he was almost gone!

Roadrunner with lizard

Rock Doves or Pigeons

Turkey Vulture

Western Kingbird

Western Meadowlark

Whimbrel

Birds seen but unable to photograph:
American Bittern
Belted Kingfisher
Rufus Crowned Sparrow

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 8:06 pm   Permalink

You cataloged & photographed all these birds yourself Mike?
Well add Scientist & Ornithologist to your "Renaissance Man" resume!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation