FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Wild and Not So Wild World
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-10 1:40 pm   Permalink

Extrapolating from the 1.5 x 3.5 inch board he's sitting on, I would estimate his body length to be 37.5 inches and another 33 inches for the tail. That makes almost 6 feet - HOLY CRAP That's a whole lotta "tree chicken"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 3:45 pm   Permalink

Wild iguanas in Fla.? How did that happen? I'll say about 6 ft. also.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-11 01:17 am   Permalink

6 ft. was GROG' guess as well.

Today GROG had to slow for a small 4 point buck (that's a deer) that was just starting to cross the road as GROG approached. Have seen several coyotes in the last couple of weeks, and saw three raccoons in the neighbor's tree a couple of weeks ago. Small lizards in the yard are moving slow in the chilly weather. Saw a skunk a month ago a couple of blocks down from Kirby's when GROG was leaving the Rumpus Room one night. A couple of owls were out hooting in the neighborhood last week, so only heard them.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 06:55 am   Permalink

South Florida is home to many invasive species - plant and animal. Right now I have a flock (I estimate 50+) of green parrots outside my office window. They are loud and driving me crazy!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 2:11 pm   Permalink

My neighbor's little mini-POS-whatever dog is inside his house and yapping his ass off - I can hear it IN MY HOUSE and it's driving ME crazy!

This summer my dog discovered a ransacked nest of very young bunnnies: 1 dead and 2 wounded. We took them to a vet that holds them for the wildlife sanctuary. I know - they're EVERYwhere, but I couldn't just leave them there in the chill to die! I mean, they didn't even have their eyes open yet! And one was SQUEAKING at me!!

Now, if it was the neighbor's dog...!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 5:24 pm   Permalink

While visiting relatives recently in Oceanside I moseyed out to the backyard and heard BROPPP BROPPP BROPPP. Slowly and quietly I moved toward the sound. There was a large hollow ceramic frog about 2 ft. long. I turned the ceramic frog over to find a large hole in the bottom and there it was, a frog about the size of a grape inside. I think this guy had an excellent chance of reproducing. The hollowness gave him a much louder advantage. BRILLIANT.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-10 15:45, Jungle Trader wrote:

A five footer ran across the street right in front of my car during the Hukilau.
I thought it was just the rum fuckin with me.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-18 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-16 22:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

A five footer ran across the street right in front of my car during the Hukilau.
I thought it was just the rum fuckin with me.

Sure, just before you got in the car you had a couple shots of that new Peyote Rum by Don Juan.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Derek Mitchell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-18 10:24 pm   Permalink

I caught a opossum in my living room one night, the dog brought it in. Skunks in the yards alot.

When in Arizona, chased a pack of Javalina out of the yard on Thanksgiving while the family was around the campfire. Also went deer hunting with a bow, but only saw girls and small boys, so no shots fired.

Killed lots of Quail and a few Doves, also some Chuckar. A couple rattlers to my name.

Seen bobcats, deer, elk, squirels, wild turkeys, cootamundis(spelling?).

My father is an outdoors man, I prefer the city.

View Profile of Derek Mitchell Send a personal message to Derek Mitchell  Email Derek Mitchell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-19 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Quote:

On 2009-12-11 06:55, AlohaStation wrote:
South Florida is home to many invasive species - plant and animal. Right now I have a flock (I estimate 50+) of green parrots outside my office window. They are loud and driving me crazy!

soo terribly true. people buy iggys, snakes, birds and then turn them loose when they become no fun or a problem or lose them. we are having a hellaofa time with boas and pythons. also with nile monitor lizards. these 3 are meat eating hunters. our waters have been invaded also. we have the snakehead fish in fresh water and now have lion fish in the oceans. not a single one of these invaders have ANY natural predators.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 09:37 am   Permalink

Someone left the door open and the cold weather has reached into our tropical escape. The past week we have had record cold temps in SFL - as a result this is happening...

http://www.justnews.com/video/22153242/index.html

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-07 10:56 am   Permalink

That video would almost be funny if I weren't a lizard lover

The big Sandhill Cranes winter in our area. I haven't seen them yet but I heard them call a few days ago.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 10:50 am   Permalink

Sorry to say that since the cold snap the invasive lizard population has dwindled considerably!! I love all animals but the iguana problem in South FL was getting out of hand.

On the other hand - I was out on the edge of the Everglades this weekend digging some new mountain bike trails and saw something totally cool. 2 Bald Eagles getting their groove on! They would fly really high and then lock up and fall before separating and gliding off - they did this several times. It was a great show. I also dug up several snakes and saw multiple alligators. I love the great outdoors - especially since it was 80 degrees and sunny!

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 5:25 pm   Permalink

I saw 3 crows arguing midair over a mouse, so the one dropped it in the middle of the highway, SMACK. Sacrificed to the road.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 06:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 10:50, AlohaStation wrote:
On the other hand - I was out on the edge of the Everglades this weekend digging some new mountain bike trails and saw something totally cool. 2 Bald Eagles getting their groove on! They would fly really high and then lock up and fall before separating and gliding off - they did this several times. It was a great show.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/pembroke-pines/fl-pines-eagles-20100222,0,5883410.story

Really has me wondering???? Pembroke Pines is about 30 miles from where I was.

[ This Message was edited by: AlohaStation 2010-02-23 06:27 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation