FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Wild and Not So Wild World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 )
Wild and Not So Wild World
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-13 01:02 am   Permalink

Spring has sprung in the great south land, and in my locality snakes are very common at this time.

Always mindful of them, it still came as a surprise to see this one inside a small shed in the back yard
as there is no apparent way in or out besides the door which has no gaps anywhere.

One of my brothers and myself had not long ago cleared out some old car parts that I'd stored for him,
nearly emptying the space completely - with no sign of it, so how it got in is a mystery.

The head can be seen in the next photo, unfortunately I had a torch in my other hand and the extra light
ruined the picture a little.

This snake is a young adult about three to four feet or so and was not harmed.

I was reluctant to show these next pictures as probably no-one wants to see dead wildlife,
but may as well put them up while I'm here.

As I was slashing the grass in my back yard a few weeks ago these two were accidentally killed, in fact,
I didn't even see them until it was too late, the second one not until the next day among the dried grass.

I've blacked-out the wounds on the first which was about two and a half feet but fairly thin, so quite young.

The second was only about a foot long and didn't have any obvious damage.

All three snakes are believed to be dugites, or maybe the closely related gwarda - western brown snake.
Regardless, even the smallest is venomous enough to potentially kill an adult human.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-11-20 03:27 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-16 12:32 pm   Permalink

I don't think you have to apologize for killing venomous snakes. Kill or be killed I say!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 01:37 am   Permalink

Was burning the last of the dry grass yesterday and found this little bugger in the pile.

Lucky for the snake it didn't end up in the fire only a couple of feet to the left of the rake,
as I just saw it in time while I was flicking the grass onto the flames.

The picture is blurry because it is a snap shot from a short video that I managed to take but
the snake can be seen to the right of the rake head and alongside the brick wall.

A little funny at the time because as I whipped out my phone with my left hand, had the rake in
my right, and as I wasn't wearing any glasses couldn't tell whether the bloody phone was in
video mode or what, while keeping one eye on the snake and the other on the screen.

Anyhow, just a young-un at about two and a half feet this snake was not harmed and made a bee-line
for the bush behind our place, quick smart.

By all accounts it's a bumper year for snakes in the West, with about 190 people bitten this year
state-wide and around 20 within the last month or so.
Recent news separately saw a couple of kids needing treatment in hospital, and some dick-head
out in the goldfields died after being bit three times on the arm and refusing medical treatment,
he was aboriginal.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-11-20 19:43 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 03:52 am   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation