FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Reef, Long Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Reef, Long Beach, CA (restaurant)
Chris Berry

Posted: 2011-04-22 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-20 17:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice, Chris. Man, how about that rendering in image number 3, WHO has that now!?

I don't know -- I wish we did! I haven't been over to the Reef in quite a while, so I'm not sure how much historical stuff they have over there; my memory is not much, probably because of the fire. If I find anything more I'll post it here.
Chris

View Profile of Chris Berry Send a personal message to Chris Berry  Goto the website of Chris Berry     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-20 17:22, bigbrotiki wrote:

I think Oceanic Arts has a giant postcard that shows exteriors of all of them - but the Reef is always obscured by lotsa foliage.

This rings a bell... I grabbed some images of two large postcards many years ago and was not sure where they were from. They have to be from the various Specialty Group restaurants that included The Reef, Ports of Call, Pieces of Eight, etc. The A-frame in the second one is a dead ringer for the picture that Chris Berry posted.

They were numbered and the back of the card had descriptions of each scene.

It would be nice to see some better scans of these two beauties from the OA archives.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 12:33 pm   Permalink

It's been a good week for paper, just got another super hard to find postcard mailer with some great photos of The Reef in Long Beach. It is a double oversized postcard that also features the Ports o Call restaurant in San Pedro.

Here is the back of the card that provides a numbered description of each photo so you can keep score!

The close ups of The Reef card.

First up, an exterior shot of the entrance.

Close up of the Tiki.

Next, the Tiki Lounge (I don't see any Tikis though?)

The Tonga Room (where have I heard that name before?)

The Polynesian Luau area that accommodates 1,500 people?

And views of the SS Princes paddle wheeler and the Long Beach skyline.

Here is a nice rendering of the building from the back of the card.

It looks like they may actually have had the row boat and anchor in the ground out front as shown on the menus.

A map showing both The Reef and the Ports o Call.

And finally the description on the back of the card.

I posted the other part of the card in the Ports o Call thread.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=35858&forum=2&start=15&hilite=ports o call

What a beauty!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 7:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-28 23:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
It clearly proves that there were various carvers involved with the Reef, lookey 'ere:

This definitely is the Tiki Andres Bumatay was carving when this article (unfortunately folded) was published, (which is the missing link to my Bumatay page in the BOT)

The postcard I just got just missed showing the Bumatay Tiki which was obscured by the damned ship photo. You can see the top of the Tiki. Now who has that photo?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 9:36 pm   Permalink

Dang! You're right! Classic armchair archeology! The crossed palms are there, too! I bet they had their own story, also....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 5:18 pm   Permalink

Got this matchbook showing nice use of rope lettering font from The Reef.

DC

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 9:15 pm   Permalink

Here's an old snapshot taken in front of the Reef. Nice shot of their wonderful tiki.

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 8:15 pm   Permalink

Today's find

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 9:10 pm   Permalink

A few news stories from The Reef.

The entertainment for a Tamaaraa.

And an upcoming Luau.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation