FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Pittsburgh, PA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mauna Loa, Pittsburgh, PA (restaurant)
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-08 05:43 am   Permalink

Pauly,

Assuming you have a Windows PC, for getting clips from Google News, you can use the <PrntScr> key then paste into Paint (that little accessory application that comes with Windows) and use the Select and Crop tools within Paint to get just what you want. Then save as a .jpg file. It's a bit laborious but works. If you want to eliminate the highlighting, note the date and page of your finding, then choose "Browse this newspaper >>" in the Google News menu bar to get back to the same date and page. Again, it takes time and patience, but that's the price of treasure hunting. Someone may know of a better way, and I'm ready to learn...

Here's your clip using the technique described...

The Pittsburgh Press December 2, 1978

-Tom

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-08 05:45 ]

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-14 08:31 am   Permalink

Thanks Tom! let's see if this works:
A Mauna Loa ad from the July 27, 1978 Pittsburgh Press

$6.95 for dinner show and dance!

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-14 08:36 am   Permalink

I might be on a role:

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-30 11:05 am   Permalink

I was preparing for a yard sale, and unpacking a punchbowl set from my neighbor...as I unwrapped the cups I scanned the paper pages and found another ad for the Mauna Loa in Pittsburgh, dated 6/8/1978. Wish I had been able to take in a show back in the day!

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 12:48 pm   Permalink

Ha, brings new meaning to a garage sale find!

Cool ad.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 2:45 pm   Permalink

Wow! What a time warp:

"Boogie in Hawaii in the NEW Hawaiian Disco Room! - Dress: sport coats.
DISCO LESSONS" !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-30 12:17 pm   Permalink

From Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Jan 6, 1978

tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-27 2:42 pm   Permalink

My parents used to go here, as well as the Hukilau in the North Hills; Pittsburgh did have tiki going on back in the sixties and seventies!!

View Profile of tikitommy Send a personal message to tikitommy  Email tikitommy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-25 08:06 am   Permalink

File this one under "Only in Pittsburgh"! Found this ad from 1980 for the Hawaii' 80 revue that had moved from the Mauna Loa after a 2-year stint to Conleys Tiki Show Room.

The Polynesian floor show featured a tribute to the champion Pittsburgh Steelers football team! You can see the Steelers on the hula dancers headdress.

Not to mention an erupting volcano and Tiki Gods.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-22 6:27 pm   Permalink

A nice piece just after the Moana Loa opened, dated Jan 11, 1978, and well after the Hu Ke Lau.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=hZxRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=L20DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6962%2C1108532

Edited to fix link and add pic.

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2014-02-12 15:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2014-02-12 15:38 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation