[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Vintage Trader Vic's Aloha Shirt
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Vintage Trader Vic's Aloha Shirt
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 12:27 pm   Permalink

I found this today. Can anyone shed some (port) light on the date of this shirt? Was this for staff or for sale to the public?

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 8:28 pm   Permalink

Hey FZ!

If I'm not mistaken, I think this shirt is known as the "Golden Ticket" shirt.
That is, any time you wear it into a Trader Vic's, all your drinks are free.

Or maybe not.
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 11:09 pm   Permalink

What a beautiful shirt!
My guess is 60's or very early 70's possibly? Great find!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 4:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-02 20:28, Formikahini wrote:

all your drinks are free.

Or maybe not.
F

why must you torture me so?

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 1:15 pm   Permalink

Don't believe I have seen this Trader Vic shirt before...far out print for sure.
Where did you find this gem??

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 5:06 pm   Permalink

Thrift Store. I think it's a size medium... to small for me

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 11:52 am   Permalink

Since there was no Trader Vic's in the Bahamas, I think Trader Vic's was the name of a shirt company, and does not have anthing to do with the Trader Vic's restaurants.

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 1:19 pm   Permalink

Are you sure, I can't see a corporation like Trader Vic's allowing some clothing company to produce clothing under their name without shutting them down. I've seen knitwear under the same label, perhaps some sort of clothing side project.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 1:29 pm   Permalink

You could just send an email to TV from their website and ask if there was ever a location there. Or perhaps they planned on having one there and then it didn't work out.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-06 11:52, TikiHula wrote:
Since there was no Trader Vic's in the Bahamas, I think Trader Vic's was the name of a shirt company, and does not have anthing to do with the Trader Vic's restaurants.

Aah! An interesting theory! But....how can you be so certain? I have read that from 1954 to 1976 Trader Vic's opened an average of two restaurants a year, that's 44 locations. Do you have all those accounted for?

For example, the T.V. franchise in St.Petersburg, Florida opened in 1972 and closed in 1976. So Nassau might have been even shorter lived. Plus I don't think that anyone in such a tourist mecca such as the Bahamas would dare to steal the name of such a well known giant in the hotel industry at the time.

Wait, seen on KNITWEAR!? I see, the label could be interpreted as "Made in Nassau, Bahamas, expressly for Trader Vic's" ! This might have been manufactured for the Trader Vic's GIFT STORES then. And it makes sense to have that done in the posh Bahamas, it would match the country club clientele of the Trader.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 4:21 pm   Permalink

I have seen several other Trader Vics shirts in the past with that label.
I believe these shirts were made for Trader Vics by a mfg. located in the
Bahamas in the 60's and 70's .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 7:23 pm   Permalink

Looks like I stand corrected...

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 01:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-06 13:30, bigbrotiki wrote:

Wait, seen on KNITWEAR!? I see, the label could be interpreted as "Made in Nassau, Bahamas, expressly for Trader Vic's" ! This might have been manufactured for the Trader Vic's GIFT STORES then. And it makes sense to have that done in the posh Bahamas, it would match the country club clientele of the Trader.

I think your closer with GIFT STORE based in Nassau as the Scots Bonnet I used to own had a label that said "MADE IN ENGLAND EXPRESSLY FOR TRADER VIC'S NASSAU, BAHAMAS". Was Trader Vic's not involved in a Golf Resort in Nassau?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 12:07 pm   Permalink

This planet's deep mysteries are so perplexing, sometimes!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-06 5:28 pm   Permalink

I found this one recently. Any news on whether there was actually a Trader Vic's in Nassau?

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation