FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Colossal Squid!
Colossal Squid!
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 05:26 am   Permalink

WOOOOOOW!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/04/03/colossal.squid.reut/index.html

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 07:21 am   Permalink

Talk about some Calamari!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 09:50 am   Permalink

gosh, I didn't know that there was a larger squaid than the giant squid. I wish that the article reported how long this baby was. It didn't quite look 50-60 ft in length from the photo. I hope one day they find one which is alive!

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 10:07 am   Permalink

i did a search for "mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni," the latin name for that big ol' squid, and i came up with a spanish site proclaiming
"CALAMARES GIGANTE!"

and i couldn't help but think of Don Francisco from Univision's "Sabado" Gigante,"

which then made me think of the ONE time I've been to the Mai Kai - Don Francisco was sitting with a large group of people two tables away.

we could start a new game - Six Degrees of Tiki!

ps - for more calamari goodness, search for "vampyroteuthis infernalis," the VAMPIRE SQUID. it's got cool little glowing blue eyes.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 10:15 am   Permalink

Ok, so then those old paintings of giant squids fighting whales weren’t based on myths but were first hand accounts?

Oh my!

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/squid.htm

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 04:53 am   Permalink

Hey, this reminds me. I have been wanting to carve one of the Cthulhu idols described in Lovecraft's THE CALL OF CTHULHU.

I have seen where artists have made these before, but they are always pretty "realist". I would like mine to be a bit more Tiki-stylized. Does anyone have any pictures of Polynesian carvings of birds and octopi or squid so that I can know how to do the wings and head?

[ This Message was edited by: KahunaMilu on 2003-04-04 04:54 ]

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 05:14 am   Permalink

The breakfast news show we have here in the UK were asking people to name it - the best was 'Squid Vicious'!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 06:41 am   Permalink

Don't yer know that Cthulhu is into tiki, look its Cthulhu the beachcomber

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 06:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-04 04:53, KahunaMilu wrote:

Does anyone have any pictures of Polynesian carvings of birds and octopi or squid so that I can know how to do the wings and head?

This might help:

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 09:29 am   Permalink

even though they're not tiki, check out photos of more modern gargoyles - they can provide good wing references.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-05 12:30 am   Permalink

Thanks, all.

That plush Cthulhu may actually be the biggest help yet. }:)

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-05 7:12 pm   Permalink

Dietrich Varez does some really amazing stuff. We have a Varez original block print called "ahi" hanging in our dining room. It's one of his first works done in 1979 when he was virtually unknown outside of the islands (maybe not even there). I would like to pick up more of his prints but they're probably out of my price range now...unless anybody out there in T.C.land is having a sale.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation