FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Transforming an ugly fireplace? Ugly pics included!
Transforming an ugly fireplace? Ugly pics included!
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 2:08 pm   Permalink

I have a fireplace in my tiki room that is outlined with 12 x 12 tiles. How could I cover it up, make it practically disappear by giving it a black lava look???

Also, I'm looking for some tiki door knobs. I have two doors that already have levers. Here is where my problem comes in. I'm looking for tiki knobs only for one side of the door (the side thats in the tiki bar room) and want to leave the existing lever on the other side. I would prefer some type of carved tiki but remember it has to twist to open the door so anything tropical will do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below are the pics so you know what I'm dealing with here.

[ This Message was edited by: atomicchick 2009-05-05 09:37 ]

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 2:34 pm   Permalink

..creative people are visual people...we need pics please.....show us the fireplace and show us the door/knob/handle you want replaced and we may be able to help...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 3:28 pm   Permalink

Just brainstorming...

How about make it look like a Tiki temple with an A-frame roof over it?

Border it with Tiki poles on each side and foliage around that.

You could buy a concrete (fireproof) female figure/statue from a garden shop and lay it over the top of your firewood to simulate a sacrifice to the tiki gods when lit for a party.

Possibly even place a concrete tiki inside the hearth as well.

A picture of your fireplace will definitely help

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 4:37 pm   Permalink

Info about the tile would be useful as well, whether it's fire proof but merely decorative or if it's actually keeping the room from bursting into flames.

Also mention how far you're willing to go (complete tear out or just want to hide it) and what sort of budget you have in mind.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 09:55 am   Permalink

If you want a Quick and easy way to go, untill you can afford the time and money to do more, you can paint over the tiles, and stamp or free hand tapa designs over them. check out my "poi dog paradise" pic's.

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 10:43 am   Permalink

As someone who actually does construction and finsih work, heres what I would do, pop off the tiles its just glue or mortar, they only serve a decorative purpose. At yur local hardware box store you should be able to get faux rock. comes in squares, and a variety of stone type/finishes. Trust me when you get it put up IT LOOKS LIKE REAL ROCK. Then do what ever decor treatment you choose AROUND the newly installed faux stone, IE: an A-frame, or block tapa printing.
as for a "tiki" door knob, why not go with bamboo handle. you will need to modify your existing door handle. easy peasy!

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-05-05 13:08 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifarm

Posted: 2009-05-05 10:44 am   Permalink

Get some rough stones from a local nursery and cover the tiles up "stick and lick" style. Drive some masonry anchors into the tile grout lines to help hold the stones. Do the whole thing rough enough so that it looks like some pagan alter. That way, you can still have a fire for effect.

Or - stick and lick and whole stone tiki God face with the mouth where the opening is. Tropical plants on either side and glowing red stained glass for the eyes.

Just get creative and make it work.

View Profile of tikifarm Send a personal message to tikifarm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 01:47 am   Permalink

I've kinda a visual person too, can you post sketches of your ideas

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation