[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki torch alternative fuel ideas
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
tiki torch alternative fuel ideas
tiki atomica
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-04 6:06 pm   Permalink

With the cost of common citronella-scented tiki torch oil close to $10/gal (up almost 4 bucks since last spring)... I was wondering if anyone has had success with any less costly fuel alternatives.
"A civilized nation can have no enemies, & one cannot draw a line across a map... a line that doesn't exist in nature & say that the ugly enemy lives on one side & good friends on the other." -Thor Heyerdahl (1914-2002) Norwegian adventurer

View Profile of tiki atomica Send a personal message to tiki atomica  Email tiki atomica Goto the website of tiki atomica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 7:49 pm   Permalink

you may want to consider cutting back on using those torches as frequently as you do......you don't have to light them every night

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki atomica
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-04 8:48 pm   Permalink

and face the wrath of the gods?... not on your life. the torches must be lit. perhaps I will cut back on the quantity lit however and see how that goes over. still... there has to be a lower cost fuel alternative out there. my inner tiki tells me so.
"A civilized nation can have no enemies, & one cannot draw a line across a map... a line that doesn't exist in nature & say that the ugly enemy lives on one side & good friends on the other." -Thor Heyerdahl (1914-2002) Norwegian adventurer

View Profile of tiki atomica Send a personal message to tiki atomica  Email tiki atomica Goto the website of tiki atomica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-05 05:52 am   Permalink

Maybe you can make "Bio-Tiki Fuel" out of used Chinese Restaurant fryer oil and leftover bacon grease

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-05 06:29 am   Permalink

http://www.buytikitorches.com/category/tiki-torches-oil

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 08:25 am   Permalink

Check prices for kerosene.
Another possibility is low odor mineral spirits (paint thinner), from Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Burns very clean:
Kerosene Lamp info
Also, Jet A fuel, for about $4/gal.
Low sulfur diesel would work, but I'd just get a small amount and test it in one torch, to see if it's too smokey or smelly for your purposes.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 08:39 am   Permalink

Start shopping for torch fuel in August as the stores start to put in "back to school" merchandise. That is when garden/patio supply goes 50%-75% off. Tiki is a seasonal sale for major retail outlets.

The stores know that no one lights tiki torches after Labor Day.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-05 05:52, MadDogMike wrote:
Maybe you can make "Bio-Tiki Fuel" out of used Chinese Restaurant fryer oil and leftover bacon grease

I think you're onto something , Mike...
We could use
BioWillie in our torches:

"BioWillie brand biodiesel has a similar operating performance to regular diesel yet burns with a natural vegetable aroma -- without the familiar black soot and smoke. Some even say the exhaust smells like french fries!"

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2012-11-07 07:02 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 11:14 am   Permalink

Anyone know how to make 'em smell like bacon...? Yum.

I do like the "veggie-fuel" direction, tho. Wondering seriously (or as serious as I can be) if there's any possibility "scenting" 'em so they don't smell like french fries. (We already have all the wildlife we need at our BBQs -- the generous aroma of french fries would just lure more of the uninvited kind, possibly including extra neighbors, to the Cosmic Tiki Hut here.)

There may be a real market for this idea... I love me torches, but when the breeze turns impish they sure smell like a bus. Any alternative that's cleaner, cheaper, and still keeps "The Marabunta" at bay would be welcome indeed...!

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki atomica
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-05 7:56 pm   Permalink

As I expected of this fine tiki nation... a plethora of excellent concepts & ideas.

MadDogMike and his Bio-Tiki concept is brilliant.

I think this tiki fuel thing is a very un-done topic & deserves the attention of our best tiki minds.

Like many in the tiki clan I light my torches every night... so I'm sure I am not alone at feeling the pinch of high tiki oil prices.

Mahalo for all the aiwaiwa ideas. Keep em' coming.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 8:55 pm   Permalink

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/1155534401.html

When you call, ask if they have any vintage tiki mugs too.
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-05 9:44 pm   Permalink

BioTiki Fuel. Ah ha, you guys are speaking my language here! So, 100% veg oil from my local taco shack does not burn so hot in the torch. It just fried my wick... no pun intended. If you mix half used veg oil with torch fuel, it does burn and gives off a nice smell. Depending on how thick the used veg oil is from your local fryer, you may need to mix more torch fuel, diesel, or kerosene.

Also, if you are lacquering, or staining, the best paint thinner for cleaning those brushes is veg oil. Since I have a ready supply of used veg oil left overs from my car, I've been trying it on everything. I've even stained a few tikis with it.

I've also mixed rubbing alcohol with the used veg oil and that works. I use the rubbing alcohol for my volcanos. They burn for about an hour with 90 proof rubbing alcohol and a little longer if I mix in veg oil.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 04:12 am   Permalink

Hey Tony, I know some of the guys out in Indo soak their carvings in baths of Veg oil, once fully penetrated, no more cracking.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dundie

Posted: 2012-11-05 08:57 am   Permalink

Seeing the interest in alternative fuels.... Loving this new Green Organic Sustainable Lamp oil for tiki torches and lamps from Firefly Fuels its the Firefly SAFE & GREEN Eco-Friendly Lamp Oil & Tiki Torch Fuel Check it out!!
www.fireflyfuel.com

View Profile of Dundie Send a personal message to Dundie  Goto the website of Dundie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-06 2:03 pm   Permalink

Amazing timing on this thread!

I've been researching how to light up our yard at night. I LOVE tiki torches - but I'm not a fan of a) the fuel, b) having to light them, and c) the fire hazard (I'm thinking propane gas type - I know they are safe - but I don't want anyone getting silly and then getting burned). I've opted to setup a bunch of simulated flames around the yard using a little microprocessor board, some LEDs, and code from here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Realistic-Fire-Effect-with-Arduino-and-LEDs/

I like this because I can make mysterious blue, green, and purple flames as well. I'm planning on housing the LEDs some old lanterns and runway lights I've collected. Will post pics when done (someday). I plan on setting the whole thing up to run on solar, with a photocell that turns them off and on automatically.

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation