FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Great Drinks at Don the Beachcombers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Great Drinks at Don the Beachcombers
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 12:58 pm   Permalink

We had the pleasure of visiting Don's HB this weekend. It was my first visit there.
After hearing so many mixed reviews about service, drink quality etcetera I decided to post my two cents.
We went Saturday and after the Nooner at Ben's on Sunday.
The drinks were consistently AWESOME. The service was OUTSTANDING. Ryan and the other bartender (sorry, didn't get your name) were great. Even when a HUGE crowd descended all at once after the nooner they stepped it up.
I will make it a regular stop whenever possible. There is still some transition goin' on but I hope you guys give 'em a chance. They treated us well and deserve our support.

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 1:52 pm   Permalink

I'll second that Jim. We went last night about 8 and sat in the bar with BTD Jeff and Jonpaul...final count was 2 Mai-Tais, a Navy Grog (thanks for the suggestion Jeff), and a nice cross sampling of the appetizers. It is really hard to judge a place based on a night when there is a huge event going on, you really have to check it out on a normal night. I'm going to make an effort to get out there at least a couple of Monday nights a month..especially since now happy hour prices are in effect all night Monday and Tuesdays!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 5:12 pm   Permalink

Cool dat guys...
thanks for saying that.

and good to see both of ya there.
on sun. and mon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 5:21 pm   Permalink

+1 on what was said.

My wife and I finally made it last Sat. (almost 2 weeks ago) and loved it!

Not much has changed but the drinks were amazing! Better than ever (and I use to work at Sam's and visited Kona too many times)!!!

Keep it up Don the Beachcomber Crew!!!

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 5:51 pm   Permalink

I couldn't agree more.

In the crazed madness of the "After-Nooner" at Don the Beachcomber's on Sunday, the entire restaurant and bar crew sucked it up and kicked ass. Ryan made me three awesome drinks with great care and attention to detail and the food service was quick and friendly, even as the guests continued to pour in.

Do these people look happy??

I'll be back.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 6:08 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know the list of new drinks they are serving? I heard mention of 10+ plus.

Confirmed so far
-Zombie
-Vicious Virgin
-Mai Tai
-Cherry Blossom
-Navy Grog

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

Coco Joe wrote:
Does anyone know the list of new drinks they are serving? I heard mention of 10+ plus.

Confirmed so far
-Zombie
-Vicious Virgin
-Mai Tai
-Cherry Blossom
-Navy Grog

They still serve super delicious Lapu Lapu's!

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitastic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 12:47 am   Permalink

2 nights at Don's last weekend and both nights the drinks were delicious and the service was excellent! I had a few Mai Tais, a Zombie and a couple of Navy Grogs...no complaints about any of them.

Also, Don's has the best deals on happy hour food. Many choices for $2.95, $3.95 or $4.95...the Ahi Tacos are excellent!

Looking forward to my next visit.

View Profile of Tikitastic Send a personal message to Tikitastic  Goto the website of Tikitastic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 09:04 am   Permalink

I also went to Don's after the nooner and I must say that they busted their butts to give me good service. They are really trying hard to make a name for themselves.

I had the Voodoo Hurricane and it was excellent.
The Spam rolls were delish as well.

My only disappointment was that they had no Don's signature mugs to purchase with my drink.
They had a few Tiki Farm mugs, but I wanted an exclusive Don's mug and it is still not available.
I know Tiki Farm is currently working on a Don's mug so I will have to wait.

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-07 09:04, geedavee wrote:

My only disappointment was that they had no Don's signature mugs to purchase with my drink.
They had a few Tiki Farm mugs, but I wanted an exclusive Don's mug and it is still not available.
I know Tiki Farm is currently working on a Don's mug so I will have to wait.

Ryan told me end of June.
Yes the drinks, service, decor and atmosphere are all top notch. I hope to be back as often as possible and will recommend this place to any and everybody who plans to be in/around or just passing through Orange County.
Good post Jim as Don's deserves the acclaim...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs Bamboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 8:52 pm   Permalink

Really good to hear...maybe third time is the charm.

Aloha!

View Profile of Mrs Bamboo Send a personal message to Mrs Bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-07 9:17 pm   Permalink

it looks like dougs wife is flippin us off!!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 6:51 pm   Permalink

Gotta say thumbs up to all the reviews here...

We also swung by after the Nooner last Sunday night and the drinks were very good!

I had a Zombie and a Mai Tai.

The live music was a bit much, but those guys have to make a living too I guess.

I enjoyed when they played "Margaritaville...." and everyone howled like wolves.

I'll be back for a visit again in August, and look forward to checking out all the new work being done!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGeeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 5:31 pm   Permalink

I swung down there last night after work with a friend. She's not a hardcore tiki fanatic, but she knows her way around a tiki bar. We had an amazing time and closed the bar. The cocktails are a work of art. Ryan, who I finally met, truly has a passion for the cocktails and really takes care of and shares with those that value that passion. I'm definitely making it a part of my regular escapism schedule.

My friend never liked Mai Tais, but really liked his 1930's Don's Mai Tai. "This is the first Mai Tai I've actually liked!" I had, among others, his Navy Grog that knocked my socks off. I could keep going on and on... but I have some small amount of dignity to not appear to be a drooling fanboy. (not much, but some...)

Honoring my gods one sip at a time.

View Profile of TikiGeeki Send a personal message to TikiGeeki  Goto the website of TikiGeeki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 11:20 am   Permalink

bump,
some great reviews above
and the new website

http://www.donthebeachcomber.com/

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2009-09-22 11:21 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation