FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Cap'n Pharaoh- Severed heads & Serpents from the great abyss! Pg5
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Cap'n Pharaoh- Severed heads & Serpents from the great abyss! Pg5
Cap'n Pharaoh
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-07 07:17 am   Permalink

Ahoy, I just sailed into this tropic port, and thought I should introduce my self.
Cap'n Pharaoh, currently in the East Tasman Sea, albeit on Australian shores...at the moment.. who knows what exotic ports of call I'll be in next. I am currently seeking information on Whaikairo schools in New Zealand, if anyone here has any enrollment information or links please ship them my way. In the mean time check out this picture of my works in progress.

Sail thee well.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-07-07 08:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-07-11 07:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-07-28 05:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-08-24 08:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-10-14 03:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cap'n pharaoh 2009-10-14 06:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-11-03 04:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-12-14 05:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-12-14 23:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-12-14 23:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2010-01-16 06:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2010-02-03 19:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2010-04-21 06:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2010-04-21 06:48 ]

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 8:30 pm   Permalink

nice look'n swag of booty there capt'n.AAARG

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 9:33 pm   Permalink

Welcome, mate looks like all kinds of cool things going on.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 12:02 am   Permalink

Welcome aboard !
Close up pix of your stuff ?

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 04:27 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC Cap'n, looks like you will fit in well in these parts.
You'll find several Kiwis posting here and they may have the info you need about the carving schools.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 09:05 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC! As soon as you shake off your sea legs would like to see some of your carvings there. Happy Carving.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 10:32 am   Permalink

welcome ashore cap'n. some mighty fine looking works you got in the background, love to see some more details on the pieces. see your bringing up your first mate properly, good job.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 3:30 pm   Permalink

Ahoy Cap'n and welcome to TC! Wouldn't you be in our neck of the woods (Aotearoa) if you're on the Eastern side of the Tasman? That's a fine looking crew you have there - I especially like the big guy at the back who has a slight cubist vibe going on.

Regarding Whakairo, it is a bit of a closed shop as far as I know. There is the institute in Rotorua, which I think you have to be nominated by your tribe to apply for, and various colleges/Polytechnics do Maori art degrees of varying duration, but I am unsure whether these are open to all comers. We are very fortunate (ie myself and Tama, another local TCer) to be doing an introductory course here in our town run by a local master carver. It is open to all including women, and I suspect some traditionalists probably wouldn't approve of this and I don't think these types of courses are common. I personally believe anything which improves the appreciation and understanding of such a sacred form should be encouraged, but art is quite politicised here in NZ.

Most of the stone and wood artists here (NZ) work in a Maori/Polynesian style anyway regardless of our ethnicity as it is what we are surrounded and inspired by. For myself at least, my initial introduction to carving was via Maori pathways and much of my subsequent training and influence from Maori carvers, so it has become something that is reflected in my work. I would suggest spending some time in NZ, studying the art and meeting carvers and asking around. I have found many willing to share if the right approach is made. Of course, you are also already in one of the best places in the world (in a virtual sense) right here on TC - we have some superb carvers with a good understanding of the Maori styles and the chops to match. Basement Kahuna probably has the purest traditional style work I've seen here but unfortunately hasn't posted much lately. Check out his threads, youtube videos from the institute and elsewhere, and this book, which is the "bible" of Maori carving:
Te Toi Whakairo: The Art of Maori Carving

(edited link...thanks Tikimecula!)

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2009-05-08 19:33 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 7:25 pm   Permalink

Having had a look around at some of the courses it seems not all are full-immersion programmes with language and cultural prerequisites (but it certainly helps in understanding the concepts).
Something like this one could be worth a look:
http://www.whitireia.ac.nz/programme_selector.php?key=116&path=interest&interest_id=Maori

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 04:33 am   Permalink

Welcome aboard capt'n! You're in the right place for advise , sharing and fun with carving!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n Pharaoh

Posted: 2009-05-16 03:18 am   Permalink

Ahoy,
Thank you for the advice on the carving schools Paipo, I am definitely aware of the sensitivities of traditional carving, I guess that is the reason I would like to learn more. I'll keep posting some more photo's of stuff as I get them up but as I am heading into the future primitively the quality of the photos is fairly poor. In fact I just ditched my mobile phone as well ...best thing I ever did!

Here is a lamp I am working on, the shade is being replaced with a custom palm frond style one I am making.

again sorry for the crappy photos.
the other side

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n Pharaoh

Posted: 2009-06-08 07:06 am   Permalink

Not sure what the etiquette be in these waters, but rather than starting a new topic I'd thought I'd post my adventures in slip casting here.(let me know if it's preferred to have two posts of my stuff. here are my first mugs out of the molds, unfired and un glazed. Definitely a learning curve ....but now I got theKnack I'm hooked line and sinkered.... Here they Be...

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 07:35 am   Permalink

Not bad for first timer Cap'n, keep going and you'll be a pro brfore you know it.
As far as the posting, it is common here and works out best if you keep one thread and just keep adding to it as you have done. Look around and you will see Some peeps threads get way up there in page count

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 9:47 pm   Permalink

That middle mug kinda looks like Mr. Spock to me, I am not sure why. I like it! -Katie

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n Pharaoh

Posted: 2009-06-11 06:50 am   Permalink

I swear I don't even watch Star Trek... I'll Post some more pics once they are fired ...lets hope they don't explode.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation