FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Is Star Trek Tiki????
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Is Star Trek Tiki????
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 05:46 am   Permalink

Hey, I ain't saying it IS Tiki, I ain't saying its NOT.

But it MIGHT BE.

We're going to see the new movie on Sunday and I wanted a place to rant about it.

We're seeing the giant IMAX screen version of it, and have asked everybody I know if they want to go, but so far everybody has said NO. They kind of look at me like I'm asking them to wear a moldy cabbage on their head. Like, this is a joke, right? Then I tell them that it's no joke and when they realize I'm serious they tell me very firmly that they do NOT want to go see the movie and that the movie is just for geeks. Then they look like they feel sorry for me. They just don't get it. I mean, it looks like a fun movie. It looks sort of retro. It's from the 60's. Its got the guy from Shawn of the Dead in it, who apparently rips new undreamed-of holes in a Scotts accent. What the heck?

In other words, it's exactly like asking them to go to a Tiki bar.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-09 07:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-09 05:46, Cammo wrote:
Its got the guy from Shawn of the Dead in it, who apparently rips new undreamed-of holes in a Scotts accent.

You've got it wrong, its not that the accent is bad, its just how the Scotts will sound in the future. The town of Linlithgow are even branding themselves as the future birthplace of Montgommery Scott..

Scotty to be beamed in to his future birthplace

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 08:02 am   Permalink

I don't mean the accent is bad, but that the guy doing it is English and gets offered on a big golden plate the opportunity of a lifetime: have fun with a Scotts accent in an American movie.

He apparently rolls up both sleeves and goes to work swinging a pickaxe on that accent, setting new standards for rolling A's and burred R's that won't be outdone for quite some time.

Is there drinking in the movie? Yep, its getting Tiki-er by the minute....

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-09 08:53 am   Permalink

That's why I'm glad Simon Pegg got the role over James McAvoy, Scotty is basically a comic character and needs to played tongue in cheek, MacAvoy as a Scott may have objected to some of the more fun parts of the language and portrayed Scotty too seriously.

As an aside my little brother is a ships engineer and it is his constant joy to be refered to on ship as Scotty and counts it as highlight of his career when a captain made a request "We need more power Scotty" that he was able to respond "the engines cannae take it captain they'll blow apart".

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 09:15 am   Permalink

Hahahahaha Tony that's really funny. Cammo, what's your point?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 09:17 am   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 09:55 am   Permalink

I seriously can't believe I have to go over this yet again.

The common confusion is because Tiki sounds so much like Trekkie. Other than that there is very little resemblance between Trekkie and Tiki. Except for green women.

Now as for the misuse of Trekkie*...Only things involving Star Trek should be called Trekkie. Just cuz it's sci-fi doesn't mean it's Trekkie. If it's called Trekkie it has to have something Star Trek about it.

And speaking of putting too fine a point on things: I believe it's Scots with one t unless you're talking about a garden fertilizer.

As for the rumored whisky quaffing, haggis chomping accent: In sci-fi you sometime have to fill in the logic holes. As mentioned above obviously this is a future Scots accent. Probably because Scotland in the future is part of the Disney's United Magic Kingdom** theme park and all the "residents" are required to talk that way.

*Once upon a time Trekkies often preffered to be to be called Trekkers and a few Trekkies might be kind of touchy about that.

**As documented in the 1979 book
The 80's: A Look Back at the Tumultuous Decade 1980-1989

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-05-09 1:54 pm   Permalink

Maybe this will clarify things:

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 5:19 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2009-05-13 22:27 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 5:36 pm   Permalink

Star Wars is NOT Tiki.

Star Trek may very well be Tiki. Think about it.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-10 1:33 pm   Permalink

Captain's Log, Stardate 43125.8. Scotty, sick with Bora Bora Botulism, is replaced by 7rd Engineer Wayne Szalinski. Szalinski and his furry assistant, Quark, apparently crosswired the flux capacitor in the teleporter, causing the crew to be simultaneously shrunk and transported to Kirby's Rumpus Room. Szalinski was found whispering into his communicator "Honey, I shrunk the Vuncan"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-10 5:03 pm   Permalink

Just saw the new movie.

It f'n rocked!

It's impossible NOT to like, I mean, it is one fun movie. Scotty is great, the accent isn't too bizarre at all. I've heard thicker Scottish accents at Kinko's.

Kirk get beat up a lot. This is perfect retribution for everybody who wants him beat up for even thinking about playing the character.

Each character seems to get out one classic cliche line, once but only once in the flick.

Lots of stuff to yap about, but gotta go now and I do mean NOW.

(Hey MadDog, see what I mean? It IS sort of Tiki in a twisted teleportation time travel 23rd century universe sort of way.)

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-10 5:24 pm   Permalink

Only 1 Star Trek movie was worth watching in my opinion..and that was Wrath of Khan. Esp when that earwig/brain eater thing a bob went diving down people's ear canals. Made me sleep with earplugs for weeks when I was little.

Although I have to admit its great to go to the theater when all the dorks are there dressed up in their Trekkie outfits. Of course these are the same folks who wore trench coats and sunglasses to (and through) the Matrix movies as well. At least it gets them out of the house and away from their computers and gaming systems-Most action they see all weekend.

I do think there should be a weight limit to those costumes however. Nothing less appealing then an overweight guy in a tight fitting Star Trek jumpsuit. ::shudders::

I am a lover of Star Wars. The original triliogy not all this prequel/remastered/CGI nonsense. I even told George Lucas that when I saw him in a restaurant in San Francisco. He just smiled and said he appreciated the input..not like that billionaire has any reason to argue the finer points of movie making with little ol' me but it was nice to be humored.

In the end even with Wrath of Khan Star Wars rules and Star Trek drools.EVen if Star Trek makes record topping numbers with this release its manly due to the too tight wearing costumed fans who will see it multiple times in the same day just so they are taking advantage of as much social interaction as they can get for once.

Viva la Ewoks! Viva la Hans! Viva la Luke! Work it Yoda! Live the dream Jabba!

(oh and in case you are wondering my lack of enthusiasm for said Trekkies is due to having dated one for a brief while many, many years ago. All that vulcan loving was too much for me!)

Oh and in NO way does Star Wars or Star Trek have a thing to do with tiki. Well unless you count the figurines that are interacting with the mugs above.

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-05-10 17:26 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-10 5:50 pm   Permalink

the ewoks COULD totally get into Tiki if it were introduced correctly..

oh..this is STAR TREK...
sorry

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-10 8:12 pm   Permalink

"Oh and in case you are wondering my lack of enthusiasm for said Trekkies is due to having dated one for a brief while many, many years ago."

Yeah, I can see how gettin' dumped by a Trekkie could make you bitter.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation