FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Conga Lounge's Campaign to make Mai Tai Oakland's official cocktail
Conga Lounge's Campaign to make Mai Tai Oakland's official cocktail
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 5:02 pm   Permalink

As we all know the Mai Tai was invented by Vic Bergeron at the original Trader Vic's on San Pablo Ave in Oakland
http://www.tradervics.com/mai-tai-1.html

WE know that, but too many citizens of Oakland do not know that. This is why MANO THANOS co-founder of THE CONGA LOUNGE in Oakland http://www.congalounge.com/ has been pestering Oakland officials to officially declare the Mai Tai the official cocktail of Oakland. Face it - Oaktown is a thriving community of colorful and creative people, but its image is marred by the constantly reported violence, which is actually limited to a few rough patches in the city. The press makes too big a deal of this aspect at the expense of all the great things this town has to offer. For too long Oakland has suffered in the shadows of its more glitzy and glamorous sister across the Bay. I'm from Jersey so I'm used to being on the wrong side of a body of water. I also know how to defend my turf (though I live in Alameda, "Oakland's Own Hawaii" and home of Forbidden Island http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/fi/ )

My slogan for years has been OAKLAND: HOME OF THE MAI TAI, NOT JUST THE DRIVE-BY!

The Mai Tai conjures up images of exotic luxury befitting Oakland's neglected positive traits as a town of pleasant climate and diverse demographics. It's a multi-cultural cocktail of a society, and it deserves its recognition as Birthplace of the Mai Tai.

As official PR dude for both FI and Conga, I recently stepped into the official fight and have scheduled a meeting next Wednesday, May 20, with Andre Jones, chief of staff for councilmember Rebecca Kaplan. Mano and his brother Molokai Mike will also be there (at my bayside condo - they'll be mixing the Mai Tais.) This is the first time the city has granted us a face to face to formally discuss this matter.

I will keep you posted on its progress. Aloha and here's to OAKLAND and the CONGA LOUNGE, home of the Oakland Mai Tai Campaign.
Aloha, Will the Thrill

[ This Message was edited by: AquaZombie 2009-05-13 13:01 ]

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-12 10:20 am   Permalink

What a great idea!
As probably the only elected official who is a member on TC, if you need help drafting a Resolution for the City Council to adopt, or advice on how to put in on their agenda, let me know!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 3:49 pm   Permalink

More power to ya. Last year, the Sazerac was honored as the official drink of New Orleans. You might want to contact the folks who were involved in that campaign for insight.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 1:52 pm   Permalink

Good luck with this!
Point us to the petition when the time comes.
The F.I. luau tomorrow would probably be a good place to get that goin'.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation