FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Luau Room, St Petersburg, FL (restaurant)
Remove Highlighting
Luau Room, St Petersburg, FL (restaurant)
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 12:38 pm   Permalink

Name:Luau Room
Type:restaurant
Street:5250 Gulf Blvd.
City:St Petersburg
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The luau room and its Bali Hi Lounge (Rotating! No Less!) Sounds like another unknown gem...

From The Evening Independent - May 7, 1982

The Evening Independent - Mar 12, 1976

Look at that entrance! Man, hotels had it down back then!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2009-05-14 12:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2009-05-14 12:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2009-05-14 12:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2009-05-14 12:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2009-05-14 14:44 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 4:22 pm   Permalink

And look at that crown of what appear to be totally extraneous outrigger beams! Oh man, banjo music in the revolving Bali Hai Lounge --wish I could have experienced that meeting of Space Age, Polynesia and Folk!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 5:56 pm   Permalink

TikiGardener - sorry about messing up on the previous references to you on this post.

Here is a nice postcard rendering I have from the Hitlon Inn in St. Petersburg Beach.

The back of the card with references to the the Luau Room, Aekai, and Bali Hi restaurants.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: dustycajun 2009-05-14 19:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-05-14 22:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-05-14 22:32 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 02:50 am   Permalink

Here's another ad from 1975 announcing their new Tahitian Revue

This place seemed to have a pretty long life span. I found mention of it as early as 1963, and it was still alive in the 80's.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pa'akiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-31 06:22 am   Permalink

I looked over this post and thought how cool this hotel was. Then on taking a closer look I have to thank you guys for helping me put a location to a menu we have. here are the black and gold menus from the restaurants.

View Profile of pa'akiki Send a personal message to pa'akiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Offenbach

Posted: 2010-11-09 08:52 am   Permalink

The Hilton on St. Pete Beach, now the Grand Plaza Hotel, is still in operation; its outside appearance remains much the same. The observation elevator still takes patrons to the rotating restaurant/lounge on the top floor - but it no longer "sports" a polynesian theme. The food is good and the view from "up top" is simply spectacular. But I wish it had remained the Bali Hi lounge.

[ This Message was edited by: Offenbach 2010-11-09 09:04 ]

View Profile of Offenbach Send a personal message to Offenbach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 09:35 am   Permalink

Wow, that is good news. The outriggers still look great!:

Looks like they messed with the outline of the building a bit by extending the elevator to the top floor, and unfortunately the swooping A-Frame porte cochere is gone and replaced by something in Taco bell-Tuscany style, as is the case so often.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Offenbach

Posted: 2010-11-11 06:54 am   Permalink

One added bit of info: the Polynesian Putter putt-putt golf course is also still in operation about a block or so away from the Grand Plaza on the opposite side of the street as you head south (next to IHOP).

View Profile of Offenbach Send a personal message to Offenbach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 07:54 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tip Offenbach.

The Polynesian Putter has its own thread started by Capt'n Skully in 2005. Unfortunately all the pictures have disappeared. I will post some new ones and update the thread.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-17 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-17 16:22, Dustycajun wrote:
A-Frame,

Another nice find from the family treasure. There is a thread for the Luau Room that was started by Mo-Eye. You should post that brochure there as well.

DC

Thanks for the heads up DC, I didn't search Luau Room first!

My dad grew up in St. Pete and must have gone back in the 80's to visit, I found this Hilton Inn brochure dated 1981 among some old paperwork he kept for years.

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-17 9:14 pm   Permalink

Interesting, at this point in time both restaurants already looked halfway towards a fern bar. I dig the lava rock platform, but they might have thrown out the "dust catchers" (more Beachcomber lamps) and Tikis during a renovation by that time. I believe that's how quite a few Tiki temples faded away: Slowly, gradually (instead of ripping it all out at once), morphing from the golden bamboo and rattan look to the open weave fabrics and beige/brown woodsiness of 80s America.

It was such an imperceptible process of homogenization that by the end of it folks had no memory of why a place had seemed cool to them in the first place. The great forgetting of Tiki was complete.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-17 10:44 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Good observation, I was wondering why the restaurant scene didn't look quite right -ferns hanging from the ceiling (that should be another Bamboo Ben-ism - NO FERNS)!

Here is another ad for the Luau Room with a cool looking rendering from above.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leekitiki

Posted: 2012-01-30 5:22 pm   Permalink

Oh boy did I enjoy this thread about the luau room and the bali hi lounge. I remember staying at this hotel when I was 7 or 8 and my family went to the Luau room for dinner. I remember my Dad got a tropical drink and I think it was in a moai head glass. I would love to get a hold of one of the mugs from that restaurant. I would even be satisfied with a photo of one. I am 42 years old and just by seeing these pictures brings back so much memory. I feel like I was there last week. Live on Tiki goodness. Any pictures of the mugs would be so fun to see.
Lovin this Thread.

leekitiki

View Profile of leekitiki Send a personal message to leekitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-31 7:49 pm   Permalink

Leekitiki,

Any family photos around from when you went there? You should check around.

Here is an aerial photo from the SKY, a great look to the modern building lines.

DC

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation