[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Beyond Tiki Ľ Ľ Melanoma Awareness Month
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Melanoma Awareness Month
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 3:14 pm   Permalink

I love you Mike and as always you and your family are close to my heart.

Good reminder what with Caliente and Oasis right around the corner to protect yourself from the sun.

Even if you are just attending an outdoor vending event don't forget the sun protection!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-05-08 7:04 pm   Permalink

My thoughts are always with you Mike. Melanoma is a evil devil. My Mom was blessed to have successful surgery on her right elbow last year to remove a melanoma...she has been fighting squamous cell skin cancer for many years. Both she and I spent way too many hours in the sun when we were young teaching swimming...it catches up with you when you get older. Know the symptoms, as skin cancer (an melanoma is the malicious one) can strike at any time.

Take a moment to read about it...you may save a life.
http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_cancer/article.htm

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 9:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Mike (and everyone.) I slathered up good for my walk this afternoon.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 10:53 am   Permalink

Mike, it means so much to me that you continue to keep everyone aware of the importance of always wearing sunscreen, and getting regular skin checks at the doctor.

I grew up in Southern California and spent practially my whole childhood at the beach, and out in the sun. I endured countless sunburns through those years since we didn't really have sunscreen back then. As a teenager though, and ever since I've worn sunscreen daily in hopes of preventing sun damage. I also made it a habit since my early 20's to ask my doctor for a skin check at my yearly exams. Thank God I did too because last August I was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma on the top of my left ear. It was already very agressive, and spreading fast so they scheduled me for surgery right away. I underwent two different surgeries, one to remove the top of my ear, have 3 sentinal lymph node biopsies done, and reconstruction where they grafted my ear to my the side of my head and had to heal for 6 weeks. Then the second surgery was to finish the reconstruction. Even after the surgeries were done I still had to wait for the biopsy results, and Thank God my prayers were answered because I found out that I was cancer free!

I have to see the dermatologist every 3 months now, and continually have more biopsies each time. It seems crazy that all that sundamage as a kid is coming out in my body now at the age of 42, but I'm so thankful to be under a close watchful eye with my doctor. I'll never forget my doctor telling me that if I hadn't found the Melanoma when I did I would have been gone within a year. I have an almost 13 year old son that means the world to me, and I'm looking forward to having my whole life ahead of me now!

Early detection is the key so everyone please get your skin checked! Wear sunscreen, hats, and keep covered if you can.

Mike, I think of Leslie all the time as she has been such an inspiration to me. She lost her battle only a few weeks before I started mine, and she continues to bring me strength and encouragement in reading her blog. I also have to say that you have been so incredibly supportive of me through my experience, and I'm forever grateful and thankful to call you my friend.

Lots of Love,
Christina

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-15 9:19 pm   Permalink

Thank you Christina

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 9:20 pm   Permalink

Yikes. So glad you're doing well, Zaya!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-16 08:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-15 21:20, bamalamalu wrote:
Yikes. So glad you're doing well, Zaya!

Thank you Bamalamalu! I'm definitely surrounded by guardian angels. I'm also blessed with so many amazing people that have helped me through it all. Especially my boyfriend Buzzy, my sister, mom, son, and the most incredible family and friends. Even friends of friends, and people I don't even know were praying for me. It might sound funny, but I experienced so many beautiful positive things through all this from the love and prayers that I received that it by far outweighed any of the negative things I was going through.

I'll always remember one night when my mom took my sister, son and I out to a "Celebration dinner" a couple of days after I got the good news that my biopsy results came back clear. When I thanked her for the beautiful dinner she said to me, "It's something worth celebrating!" I'll never forget that.

Now, like Mike, it's my mission to spread the word about Melanoma, and the dangers of the sun. It makes me so happy to think we can bring awareness through our own experiences, and help other people so they don't have to go through it.

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-30 9:31 pm   Permalink

Itís Melanoma Awareness Month again. Time for your annual reminder to wear high SPF sunscreen and cover up as well as possible. Most importantly, teach your children and grandchildren to do the same ~ there is no such thing as a healthy tan! Watch your skin for things that donít look right and see a dermatologist on a regular basis. I went today and my dermatologist burned about 30 places on my face and neck because I didnít cover up for the first 50 years of my life.

Itís been a little over a year and a half since I lost my wife to Melanoma. I am doing OK, Iím dating a beautiful and wonderful woman who puts a thick cover of happiness over my sadness. But I would give everything I own to not have lost my Leslie to such a preventable disease. The sun is NOT your friend!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 10:46 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing, Mike. Your wife sounds like she was a wonderful woman, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'll post about MAM on Twitter for my few followers.

Best of luck to you and your new love!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 10:54 am   Permalink

MDM, Thank you for the much needed reminder.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-03 08:10 am   Permalink

BUMP!!!!

It's Melanoma Awareness Month again. The sun is not your friend, especially if you are fair skinned. Wear sunscreen and protective clothing whenever possible. Educate your children & friends. This cancer that took my wife's life started as nothing more than a brown oddly shaped freckle, smaller than a pencil eraser. Be sure to get annual skin checks from a Dermatologist.
Thank you

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 08:49 am   Permalink

Thanks, Mike. Best to you.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 08:49 am   Permalink

Thanks, Mike. Best to you.

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 8:20 pm   Permalink

Thank you, Mike!

If anyone's interested, this is my new favorite sun-protective fabric (ZnO.)
It doesn't feel yucky (cotton/bamboo with just a bit of spandex) and it can go in the washing machine & dryer!

http://www.coolibar.com/catalog/search.cmd?currentIndex=0&pageSize=15&form_state=searchForm&keyword=znO

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation