[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » "Similau"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
"Similau"
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 4:52 pm   Permalink

Best ever version is by Cal Tjader with Chico O'Farrill.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Asha'man

Posted: 2009-03-18 12:02 pm   Permalink

Hi, I just popped in to see if there was anything new on my father's music and saw the posts by Similau. My father (Arden Clar) wrote the music but I have seen Leopoldo González credited with writing the Spanish lyrics, dad wasn't much of a lyricist. Similau is right about the lyric being "aye Similau" rather than "I Similau". I hadn't heard anything about the god Similau other than he was the Voodoo god of fertility. What Similau posted was interesting stuff. I have heard the Martin Deney version of the song and am not fond of it. I do like the version Desi Arnez sang on Peggy Lee's radio show. I think it is very funny that she calls it a native Cuban folk song when it was written by an American Jew who had never left the country. I guess you call that marketing. I believe that Katrina Valente had a hit with it also. I know dad had an old 78 of her version. Of course the best version was always when I was a kid sitting by my dad's piano as he played his own music. Nothing like hearing it from the creator. Glad you all like the music. You can find the sheet music in most of the Latin Fake Books, for those that want to play as well as listen.

View Profile of Asha'man Send a personal message to Asha'man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bambú Yoo-hoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 01:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-18 12:02, Asha'man wrote:
...I do like the version Desi Arnez sang on Peggy Lee's radio show. I think it is very funny that she calls it a native Cuban folk song when it was written by an American Jew who had never left the country. I guess you call that marketing...

Don't forget that D'reeky also musically scored with another Voodoo/Orisha spirit:
Babalú Aye...

Similau
Babalu

View Profile of Bambú Yoo-hoo Send a personal message to Bambú Yoo-hoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scissorpaws

Posted: 2009-05-21 05:19 am   Permalink

Anyone know if the song "Dance Calinda" on the Voodoo album the same one the Four Lads sang - which I guess would make it a cover. Thanks.

View Profile of scissorpaws Send a personal message to scissorpaws      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scissorpaws

Posted: 2009-05-21 05:23 am   Permalink

Anyone know if the song "Dance Calinda" on the Voodoo album the same one the Four Lads sang - which I guess would make it a cover. Thanks.

View Profile of scissorpaws Send a personal message to scissorpaws      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 7:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-18 12:02, Asha'man wrote:

Of course the best version was always when I was a kid sitting by my dad's piano as he played his own music. Nothing like hearing it from the creator.

Wow. That's as close to the source as it can get.

Mahalo for sharing your memories, Asha'man.

SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bluebay112

Posted: 2009-05-26 01:05 am   Permalink

Too late to post a snip about this being similau to a post I remember from earlier.

har

View Profile of bluebay112 Send a personal message to bluebay112      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 10:20 pm   Permalink

Bobby Darin's version, in my opinion, is the absolute BEST version. It's wild and dark, upbeat and crazed, and really hits home! And Darin's vocal rhythm and range is extraordinary. The song is soulful and groovy and exotic -- all in one. To compare Darin's version to Peggy Lee's is not giving Darin's version proper justice. (Peggy Lee's is closer to Desi Arnez's version.) 'Course, I know Darin's arranger of the song is the one that deserves the most credit.

So many of the other vesions are slooooow Cuban-esque songs, with an air of stark simplicity and semi-darkness, and are imitating each other without adding much depth or originality to the song's music. To me the song -- because of the message/narrative of the lyrics -- should be upbeat and rejuvinating.

Though I may not be impressed, I'm intereted in hearing Caterina Valente's version, as well as Ray McKinley's version. But most of all I'd love to hear Cal Tjader's version with Chico O'Farrill (I LOVE Cal Tjader!). Anyone have any of these versions/links to these versions, etc.?

As far as Martin Denny's version, it's the best instrumental I've heard of the song. Much better than the Big Band versions or Ray Kaempfert's smooth, easy listening version. And the surf versions I've heard are...well, I won't comment.

Like Arden Clar, Les Baxter didn't leave the U.S. to find inspiration for the exotic music he created on record. But to me, the song 'Similau' and its Exoticism is represented more in the lyrics, not the original music written for it; and is host and subject to many musical interpretations beyond the original and most popularised version. Still, the composer's melody and music cannot be argued with in its inspirational tone, feeling, and atmosphere. However, the composition in its original 'feel' is far more a Westernised Cuban music idealism rather than wildly exotic. A signature sound of the Western Exotic perception and belief of Far Away Places, the song -- through other arrangements -- has since taken on far more Exoticism than originally conceived.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Asha'man

Posted: 2009-07-30 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-21 05:23, scissorpaws wrote:

I don't know anything about anyone singing Dance Calinda but it is one of the songs my father wrote. I'll see what I can find out about who might have sung the song. I only know it from the Voodoo Album.

View Profile of Asha'man Send a personal message to Asha'man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-30 11:46, Asha'man wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-05-21 05:23, scissorpaws wrote:

I don't know anything about anyone singing Dance Calinda but it is one of the songs my father wrote. I'll see what I can find out about who might have sung the song. I only know it from the Voodoo Album.

Your Dad is Richard Hayman?

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Asha'man

Posted: 2009-11-13 10:01 am   Permalink

No, my father was Arden Clar. He wrote nine of the twelve songs on Richard Hayman's Voodoo album including "Danse Calinda".

Danse Calinda
Spell of Deatra
Afro
Zombi
Voodoo
Haiti
Midnight Ritual
Gris Gris
Invocation

I forget which web site has the information. It may be ASCAP or BMI or one of the other publishers.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-13 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-13 10:01, Asha'man wrote:
No, my father was Arden Clar. He wrote nine of the twelve songs on Richard Hayman's Voodoo album including "Danse Calinda".

Danse Calinda
Spell of Deatra
Afro
Zombi
Voodoo
Haiti
Midnight Ritual
Gris Gris
Invocation

I forget which web site has the information. It may be ASCAP or BMI or one of the other publishers.

That is very cool!!

Did he write any other Exotica type compositions?

Do you have a picture of your Dad you could post?

I'd love to learn more about him. He definitely seems like a very creative fellow.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-22 8:12 pm   Permalink

Too bad this thread died several months ago?
Jeff asks the questions I want to know
And Bobby Darin,s is definitely the best version ever
Tho I like Lyman,s version over Denny,s any day!

And the Surfaris version is great too!

And Jonah Jones too

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-26 08:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-20 04:52, Similau wrote:
I just found these comments about the song "Similau." I'm coming a little late to the discussion, but better late than never! This is song that I like a lot, and for that reason I've done a lot of searching. This is what I've found so far.

The song was probably inspired by a voodoo chant dedicated to the spirit Similó. (When transcribed to English, "Similó" was turned into "Similau." Also, in the transcribed lyrics, the part that says "I, Similau" should read "aye" instead of "I.")

Similó is said to belong to the Petro family of spirits, which have a reputation for being aggressive, for loving blood, and for eating human beings. Not the nicest spirits! But they can heal and protect those who invoke them. They are generally described as "supernatural magicians."

There's one account that mentions a manifestation of Similó in the shape of a goat, in the act of eating human body parts. I don't know if Similó had a specific area of expertise, but it sure makes sense to think that he (or she?) was related to fertility, given the song's lyrics.

We can safely say that the chant originated in the Caribbean. Voodoo is a Haitian religious system, developed from African traditions brought by slaves the islands. Besides voodoo in Haiti, there is the related religion known as santería, practiced in Cuba, and to a much lesser extent in Puerto Rico. It's very likely that Similó is also one of the saints and spirits that are invoked by santeros.

This is the closest explanation..however, the author of the song probably got it wrong..the intent was possibly the "simbi" loa......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simbi

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-12-26 08:09 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation