[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Pau Hana Hideaway, Denver
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Pau Hana Hideaway, Denver
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-17 10:14 pm   Permalink

Edit...
Seeing as time has changed the theme of the Lounge I figured it was time to change the name.
The side room will now be known as the Ooku'-Aku Lounge in the Pau Hana Hideaway!

---------------------------------

Being tired of a drab basement where I sit and play my Ukulele's I kept threating the other half that I was going to build a bar...

So while sippin drinks at Frankie’s during a Vegas trip, she looks at me and said "Is this what your wanting to do?" and agreed to the basement conversion.
No name for it yet...

Yesterday I started the project.
We are trying to do it on the cheep to start and she likes the Party City Tiki stuff (I know…) It won’t end up being a Frankie’s but at least she said ok!!!

I’ll be keeping the old school spray on ceiling, as a kid all the “Rumpus Rooms” seemed to have it (plus I have already stripped it off the other 6 rooms in the house, I’m done doing that) and with the can lights on a dimmer down low you can't tell and the room is nice and dark any way!!!

Enjoy and more to come…

Before

Going to the Basement

Using reed fencing to do the walls the existing paint blends in nice.
Hung the surfboard up awhile back.

2 walls 1 1/2 to go, built the frame for the bar, jumpin ahead.

This morning she tells me the bar is not big enough so instead of finishing the walls...

and next week is a 3 day weekend!!!!

And yes there are 2 TV's in the room now a boy(me) has to be able to watch South Park and Playstation at the same time, but they are going away!!!
There is a tv going on the wall behind the bar with a picture over it when not watchin Gilligan's Island...

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2010-02-27 09:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2011-06-29 17:00 ]

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 06:09 am   Permalink

Well, it looks like it's starting to come together... Hey I like that Gilligan's Island where Gilligan is a sort of Polynesian king. I like the one with The Mosquitos group too.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-19 10:17 am   Permalink

Aloha, Scott.

Keep the pics coming, nice to see another Denver basement bar coming along. Maybe soon we will have enough personal bars here to start hosting a Denver home bar tour.

Zulu
home of the Kona Luanii (my home bar)

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-24 8:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words!!!!

This is how I am spent day 1 and 2 of my 3 day weekend (I'm working harder than I do at work)...

Getting to know my 39.00 pawn shop router.

What I did with it, 16 8ft 2x4 to make the corner posts for the bar, they look better this way.

I'm no Bamboo Ben but this is some of what I did to the sides of the posts and the header board with the ol' Dremel.

After alittle chain beating, time for some stain

and now its cocktail time...

And I now have a name it's the "Ooko' Aku Lounge" named for 2 things I enjoy the ookolele (ukulele) and Tiki plus it's a little play on the old Aku Aku...

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-09-07 18:51 ]

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 8:48 pm   Permalink

todays project
What do you do with a basement window well...

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-05-31 20:50 ]

BUFFBAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-02 04:00 am   Permalink

Very nice. Hope you can unhook that surfboard and go surfing sometime. Nice digs. BUFFBAD

View Profile of BUFFBAD Send a personal message to BUFFBAD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 1:46 pm   Permalink

Well all my surfing nowadays takes place in the local rivers in a kayak and sometimes on the boogie board!!!
But I did use the board alot while livin in Lantana, Fl.

A few pic's of the work I did today. I was able to put the bar together (finally) but still have to make the tops.

Did a mock up of the supports for thatch now I need to break out the torch

A little rope wraping

You get the idea

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-07 20:19 ]

Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-13 10:48 pm   Permalink

Some more progress on the basement

All the walls now covered

Bamboo "rafters" and thatch put in place

Just need to finish the bar top then start moving mugs and rum bottles to their new home and get the TV's out of there!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-13 22:49 ]

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 9:03 pm   Permalink

I like the carved wood beams it is coming along well and it looks like you have a great space to work with.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 9:17 pm   Permalink

Thank you very much.
It was a bit of work but alot of fun, well worth it to me.
Time and money, I have more time than money to do this project, as I said I'm no Bamboo Ben but I can say I made them myself... not that I wouldn't like some of Ben's work in my space!!!

Over time I plan on replacing that table fringe around the ceiling with 1x4's carved/stained the same way!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-15 21:24 ]

tikifarm

Posted: 2009-06-18 03:39 am   Permalink

I love it! Some very nice ideas here. I like what you did with the posts. Are you planning on installing a bar top? Perhaps a live edge slab would look appropriate?

[ This Message was edited by: tikifarm 2009-06-18 03:40 ]

View Profile of tikifarm Send a personal message to tikifarm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 07:33 am   Permalink

Keep up the hard work. Your place is coming along nicely and post more pictures for us.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 09:39 am   Permalink

It's all coming together nicely. You'll really enjoy it once you're finished (of course, tiki bars are never finished....)

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 8:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Folks!!!!

Everytime I think I got the final plan down I think of something to change, friday night I took the router and cut a groove in the top mug shelf to fit in some rope light to light up the mugs!!!
I got a fair bit of wall space to fill up but I sure I can take care of that when we are at the "Oasis" in a few months (gives me time to save some money) and as we are driving out I plan on making a stop at Mainlanders to fill up what space will be left in the car!!!

This weekend was spent making, chaining, sanding, staining, and varnishing the bar tops.
Hopefully they will be installed on Wednesday and I can mix up the first of many fine cocktails...

More pic's to follow...

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-06-21 20:54 ]

Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-04 7:19 pm   Permalink

Well the bar top is in place and I mixed my first cocktail!!!

Still alot more work to do pic's to hang, mug shelves to build so on and on......

If your passin thru the Denver area PM me to stop in for a little drinky!!!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation