FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Events ╗ ╗ Other Events ╗ ╗ 2nd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up Austin Aug. 1
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
2nd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up Austin Aug. 1
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 1:20 pm   Permalink

Limbo Lizard and TxTikiGirl- Great pics! Thanks.

Grog- Grog welcome back to Texas and to the Enchanted Lagoon anytime! Koi still hoping Grog help design mini tiki golf. Hehe.

Koi car owner Dave, Koi car artist Crash, MartiniTiki

Tiki truck owner Cameron of House O' Speed and tiki truck artist Crash

Sandra and Paolo

Cedarhoops

JanetMermaid and Eric

Cam, Crash and Dave

More pics coming. Please feel free to correct me if I get any names wrong!

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shon-tiki

Posted: 2009-08-04 1:59 pm   Permalink

Hey Koitiki,

Mahalo, Kat and I enjoyed meeting everyone and had a good time.

I woke up at 2 pm Sunday hungover and smelling like pineapple.

View Profile of Shon-tiki Send a personal message to Shon-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-04 2:37 pm   Permalink

It was a blast! Thanks Koitiki and Dane for hellofa party! (Now trying to figure out where the heck I can fit a pool in my backyard. Hmm...dam the creek?)

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 4:08 pm   Permalink

More pics:

Combo Mahalo

Julia with art by Crash

Mark with art by Doug Horne (This is one of two pieces I won on Doug's TC thread last Christmas. Check out the next shot to see what we did with the other one.)

Dane blushes from the praise for his handiwork in the tiki room, while Grande Kahu and Tom check out the hinged frame showcasing Doug's artist sketch for the front piece. Every tiki room has to have a special secret, eh? Thanks again Doug!
Oh and I have to note that the seam behind Dane is not shoddy workmanship, but rather the edge of the door that hides my desk area. I will post more tiki room pics to another thread soon.

Kilakopela

Ryan, son of Limbo Lizard

Heelgrinder and Kenike

Cedarhoops and Tami

Los Super Avengers

one more set coming...

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 4:53 pm   Permalink

Huge mahalos to Combo Mahalo and Los Super Avengers for playing for us Saturday! Everyone was totally digging you guys! I received many rave reviews during and after the show. Big thanks also to Crash for creating a mini car show and making the raffle prizes, not to mention her work in the tiki room! Yay for party helpers Lori, HulaCat and Dobrolic, Formikahini, Kathleen, Brittanie, Kenike, Maholio and MartiniTiki. Cedarhoops for the hooping and Ryan for the fire spinning. Loved meeting all of the new folks! Thanks everyone for coming!

I have a fairly large collection of lost and found items including about 10 thermos jugs, which have all been washed and are awaiting the appropriate bribe for their safe return.

Last of my pics from the Round-up:

New Braunfels and San Antonio represent- Shawn, Kathy, Scott and Heelgrinder

Raffle drawing- HulaCat, Steve, et moi

TxTikiGirl

Fashionista Castlehune. Your earrings match your ensemble perfectly dahlink! (She models raffle prize by Crash)

Yo quiero Los Super Avengers! (Gus from Houston)

From the Enchanted Lagoon, Aloha til next time!

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 07:46 am   Permalink

Wow.

Five years ago I was complaining that there was no tiki in Texas. Certainly no one can say that anymore.

We've all seen or read what's been happening at our beloved Trader Vic's in Dallas. Eye candy for sure, but the escapism one expects when walking through those doors is long gone with the opening notes of Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" blaring through the lounge. So, where can one go to have an experience that combines all of the things we love and admire about tiki culture? The answer undoubtedly was what a lucky few got to experience last Saturday night.

Koitiki's home is an amazing blend of backyard Polynesia, a near complete one-room escape to the land of mid-century tiki kitsch, and the residence of a loving family. To say we're all so fortunate that Julie and Dane choose to share it with us is the understatement of the century. Let's not forget the pool & hot tub...

Many people were involved in the preparation...supplying food, alcohol, raffle items, alcohol, music...did I mention booze? I'd like to thank everyone...I could start naming names but I'm sure I'd forget someone.

Now think about this...just in one town at one house about 75 guests show up and NOT just because it's a good party and they can swim in a pool. They mostly came because it was a gathering of like minded folks who really have no place else to get this kind of experience. Not in Texas, anyway. Koitiki didn't put this together because she likes all the work that goes into it. It's because there is no place else to go to celebrate our love of Polynesian Pop culture. It's because there are no true tiki-esque establishments in our state that embrace the whole idea. Just imagine if Trader Vic's or Don The Beachcomber opened a new location in Austin and REALLY did it right. I might move...

Thanks again, Julie and Dane, for giving us what we can't get anywhere else.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-05 10:36 am   Permalink

Koi, Dane and all the others who worked so hard to make this happen: Thanks again for yet another incredible party. Mrs. Austin_Tiki and I had a blast.

[ This Message was edited by: Austin_Tiki 2009-08-05 10:38 ]

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 2:15 pm   Permalink

Looks like a great time was had by all!

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cedarhoops

Posted: 2009-08-06 10:06 am   Permalink

TxTikiGirl, I can help you out. email me cedarhoops (at) g mail (dot) com

Tiki sure is fun, but my usual motif is Circus. If anybody wants to get their hoop on some more, just come join my circus, you don't even have to run away! Check out
C.U.@Circus on Facebook.

We are holding and Electro Circus this Sunday and next from 3-10pm at the Polo picnic area at Barton Springs. Sure would be fun if some Tiki monsters came to hoop with me and scare the children! No, really it's kid and dog friendly.

Aloha, and thanks for the great pics!

View Profile of cedarhoops Send a personal message to cedarhoops  Goto the website of cedarhoops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-09 8:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-04 13:59, Shon-tiki wrote:
I woke up at 2 pm Sunday hungover and smelling like pineapple.

Shon-tiki: Pineapple... hmmm. Coulda been much worse! Great meeting you guys!

A few musical notes for everyone:

Anyone that missed the Rancho del Ray show on KOOP when Ted mentioned our shindig, can hear it like this:

Go to the Rancho del Ray page on the radio station site, then scroll down and click on SOUND FILE ARCHIVES, which will take you to Dennis Haberkern's site where the files are actually hosted, of the five or six most recent shows.

http://koop.org/index.php?page=scheduležion=ranchodelray

http://dennishaberkern.com/rancho_del_ray.htm

The 8-5-09 show had one set with four Hawaiian songs, it was set three. The printed playist is not posted yet on the KOOP site.
The 7-29-09 show had all Hawaiian during the 2nd half of the show.

Also from Los Super Avengers: We will be playing The Hole In The Wall on Sept 4th. There is going to be a Surf-Rock Extravaganza! It's gonna be The Long Shadows at 9pm The Neptones at 10pm, The Nematoads at 11pm and us at 12am (midnight). Hope to see some of you there!!!

Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 4:15 pm   Permalink

Here are a few upcoming dates for Combo Mahalo:

We are playing this Friday @ The Elephant Room on Congress
between 3rd & 4th from 6-8p. The next gig after that is Aug. 28th @
the Driskill Hotel lounge from 8.30-10.30p.

Also, finally got some pics up of the tiki room:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33500&forum=18&12

I know TxTikiGirl and I will both be at Oasis. Any other Texans going?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation