FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Hawaiian Inn, St. Petersburg, FL (hotel)
Hawaiian Inn, St. Petersburg, FL (hotel)
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 03:40 am   Permalink

Name:Hawaiian Inn
Type:hotel
Street:6200 Gulf Boulevard
City:St. Petersburg
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Polynesian themed hotel with restaurant, show and lounge.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 04:18 am   Permalink

This place was already mentioned breifly in this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4134&forum=1&hilite=hawaiian%20inn

but all the pics are gone and there wasn't a whole lot of info, so I figured I would relocate it to Locating Tiki.

The Hawaiian Inn was opened by Frank Cannova in late 1974. Its building used to be the Desert Ranch hotel which dates to the mid 1950s. The lobby was decorated with tiki masks and outrigger canoes. They had a restaurant called the Kon Tiki Supper Club, which had the traditional Polynesian floor shows such as hula and fire knife dance, and there was also a separate lounge. In November 1978 a fire gutted the restaurant and lounge, and it remained closed until May 1979 when it became the Beachcomber Resort.

I found a boat load of their advertisements

As well as this photo of one of their luaus on the beach

And here are 2 postcards from one of DC's older posts

And lastly, a matchbook cover

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 07:26 am   Permalink

St. Petersburg is turning out to be THE Polynesian pop capital of Florida! Moai, could you please put together a list of all the places in St. Petersburg and its suburbs and post it here?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 11:18 am   Permalink

Mo-Eye

Great research as usual.

Here is another postcard from the Hawaiian Inn.

Also a nice little discussion from Bosko on Mr. Fatu the Elvis impersonator that headlined at the Hawaiian Inn.
Quote:

On 2008-08-10 17:32, TIKIBOSKO wrote:

I doubt this has come up here but (if it has sorry) the swanky 70’s fellows above performed at the Hawaiian Inn’s “Aloha Lounge” the Elvis-ish guy is “Mr Fatu; the man of action” and the other guys are “The Samoans; the men behind the action”. Mr Fatu “the most dynamic singing star to come from the South Sea Islands” is a native of Samoa and thus a late 70’s Tiki establishment looking for a contemporary Elvis impersonator he is the only logical answer.

There is a live record floating around out there and it rocks, if you are into Tiki and Elvis it’s a must have.

My very best alohas,

Bosko

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-09 10:15 am   Permalink

I dug up these matchbook pics from the web. On the back of the matchbook it says "CAMEO" on the bottom. I'm wondering what this refers to.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-09 11:15 am   Permalink

Abstract,

Cameo is the name of the match manufacturing company.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

Just came across a few old newspaper archive photos of the Hawaiian Inn in St. Pete:

Rendering dated Sept. 9, 1974

Luau show dated July 14, 1975

Photo of exterior renovations dated March 13, 1979
With this article glued to the back:

http://www.playgroundzero.net/
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-18 4:31 pm   Permalink

Great finds, Jon. I of all people should be happy about this development...but I am not: I guess I am more Tiki than German now!

But it does remind me of this fun thread a couple of years ago where we discussed the similarities of both of these American pop culture phenomena:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25094&forum=1&vpost=323389

(apologies for possible derailment imagery, which is not intended as such)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 5:33 pm   Permalink

Dove head first into a pile of glassware at a thrift store today, emerged with this...

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation