FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Bad Tiki Gifts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bad Tiki Gifts
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-24 7:02 pm   Permalink

I've gotten lots of dodgy looking Tiki gifts over the years. I can't complain too much, though. It's nice that someone was thinking of me, and let's face it, it may be a bit much to expect someone to distinguish between swank, retro kitsch and contemporary, bad taste kitsch. Like some of the other folks have said, I try to find some unobtrusive place to put them. One solution is that when I invite people for a birthday smash like the one we held last March (my wife surprised me with a whole, roasted 50-pound pig!), I say on the invite, "No gifts, please."

As for one man's trash being another man's treasure, at my last place of employment we had a round robin gift exchange each year at our Christmas party. We were given numbered tickets, and if it was your turn you could take something an earlier person had opened or choose a gift from the pile of wrapped presents, which made for fun because people would see a nice gift like a bottle of booze taken away and then be forced to choose and open what could turn out to be a perfectly awful present. One year a younger man who went before me opened a package containing two hula girl candles, and moaned that no one would ever take them away from him. I was up next and guess what happened?

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov  Email Dr. Zarkov     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 09:39 am   Permalink

Sweet,
That thing would be great if it were a space heater.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 9:17 pm   Permalink

When someone gives me a TiKi gift and it misses the mark, ah those monkey pod bowls and giant fork and spoons...I try to display them somewhere...I am grateful that someone thought of me and was trying to suit me, they could have gave me a card... I have been fairly lucky and have gotten some sweet stuff.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito

Posted: 2009-06-02 01:05 am   Permalink

I lean strongly toward BananaBob's approach. When someone gives me a nice [in their eyes] gift, I can usually find somewhere for it that will please them yet not clash with better stuff in a way that appalls the eye. If all else fails, I collect so much stuff and my houses used to be so crowded, pre-marriage, that I can always plausibly claim that "I've been looking everywhere for that since we had to put all my stuff in storage; I really want to find it and get it up right here". Luckily my backyard "tiki bar" is more of a generic beach bar, mixing a mug collection and other tiki elements with a wall of coconut rum bottles [70 brands from all over], a couple of sailboards, potted palm trees, and lots of old record album covers, heavy on tropical rock artists like the one whose name is anathema on TC but consists of a word for an all-you-can-eat restaurant with an extra T at the end.

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Lounge Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-03 10:25 pm   Permalink

Chiwito, I have no idea who you're talking about, but could it be the ever famous Jimmy Smörgåsbord-t?

So, back on topic. My policy is to include it, but maybe dress it up a bit.

I'm also a fan of the, file it away, then bring it out when they're over strategy.

View Profile of The Lounge Tiki Send a personal message to The Lounge Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito

Posted: 2009-06-05 3:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-03 22:25, The Lounge Tiki wrote:
Chiwito, I have no idea who you're talking about, but could it be the ever famous Jimmy Smörgåsbord-t?

Yeah, I have most of his albums: "A viking looks at forty", "Wasted away in Absolutville", "Changes in latitude; freezing my ass off"; "Swedish meatballs in paradise", "Fjordsharks".

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 4:59 pm   Permalink

Got this from a family member ... ouch!

In their defense they know how awful it is.

I'll have to re-gift it to a tiki friend ... so tiki friends beware, ha.

The Art of Doug Horne
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DougHorneArt

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 5:50 pm   Permalink

Ouch.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-08 8:28 pm   Permalink

Last year my adult daughter got an interesting birthday gift from my brother, a very gaudy tiki bar wall hanging from Bed, Bath & Beyond. It came with a $50 price tag AND the receipt, the intent was that she was to return it and get whatever she wanted. Much more interesting than a gift certificate

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lightning Steve
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-08 9:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-08 16:59, Swamp Fire wrote:

I kinda like it???
But I've also never been accused of having good taste,lol.

[ This Message was edited by: Lightning Steve 2009-09-08 21:39 ]

View Profile of Lightning Steve Send a personal message to Lightning Steve  Email Lightning Steve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 10:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-08 16:59, Swamp Fire wrote:

hey! I have this clock hanging in the bathroom attached to our tiki lounge!
If it scares this shit out of them or pisses them off, they're in the right place!

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-09-08 22:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-09-08 22:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-09-08 22:25 ]

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-08 10:17 pm   Permalink

TIKI TOCK!!! I saw this hangin in our tiki bar and then saw it on slebay so I bought it for .99 cents...
It's in the tiki bathroom which is filled with about 50 mugs and wooden tiki's but guess what most people say is so cool... uh yeah.. TIKI TOCK!! Ya I wish it was wood and old but I still like em..

Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 2:00 pm   Permalink

One thing that I have a hard time with is the rash of people that I know who have Tiki parties and buy the stuff they sell at the local party stores. Once they are done with it, they give it to me and think that I would love to have it since I collect Tiki.

Well I just moved and the Salvation Army just got a few boxes of "Tiki" stuff that makes my stomach churn and eyes burn...

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 2:23 pm   Permalink

[/quote]
hey! I have this clock hanging in the bathroom attached to our tiki lounge!
If it scares this shit out of them or pisses them off, they're in the right place!
[/quote]

It saddens me to know there are more than one of these clocks out in the world. The mold needs to be broken and yes it scares the shit out of me, what the hell is that thing?

The Art of Doug Horne
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DougHorneArt

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 2:44 pm   Permalink

Awwee, Doug is just saying that because someone dug up one of his 3rd grade art projects and made it into a molded clock.....
Hope you are getting the royalties of this obviously successful selling clock!

J/K!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation