FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Luau 400, New York City, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Luau 400, New York City, NY (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 2:19 pm   Permalink

Name:Luau 400
Type:restaurant
Street:400 E. 57th St.
City:New York City
State:NY
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Thought that the Luau 400 deserved it own spot on Locating Tiki. I hope some TC members can throw in some information about this place as it is very hard to come by. I believe it was opened in about 1957 by Harry Bloomfield. The curious name comes from the restaurants address (400 E. 57th St.) The Luau 400 had a Hawaiian themed floor show as late as 1972 as far as I can tell. One of the notable performers was Hal Aloma who also recorded an album at the 400. Here is a small mention in a New York magazine article from 1958.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Luau 400 at 400 E. 57th St., is another example of what we think the South Seas should be like. To enhance the atmosphere, owner Harry Bloomfield has employed all his theatrical skill to present tropical trees, waterfalls, and exotic birds as a background for the sloe-eyed waitresses, ukulele players, etc. A favorite with show people, especially for private parties, and one of the last ports of call for upper East Side theatregoers on the way home.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With both an iconic menu and mug design this location has always made me curious as to what else may be found. here is an ad I found on the net and a mug from the collection of Scaraba Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-05-21 14:25 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 2:44 pm   Permalink

i lost an auction for a feature matchbook from the luau 400 on ebay about a month ago....so at least we know those existed too...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 4:27 pm   Permalink

Here are some Luau 400 items from the Tiki Gallery

A nice brochure with interior photos

Matchbook

Menu

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-05-21 16:28 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 07:49 am   Permalink

never knew about this place, very cool!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 4:12 pm   Permalink

Here's the LP:

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 9:22 pm   Permalink

I got the following note forwarded to me ages ago from an Asian-American woman I met at a party, but completely forgot to post it:

"I was talking to my mom today and remembered to ask her about that place in NYC I was telling your friend [me] about. As it turns out, I remembered the story all wrong. The place was called Luau 500 (or Luau 400). She thinks it was on E. 28th or so. My Uncle Tommy (Nishimura) was a bit of a local celebrity who sang on occasion when he was there. (Uncle Tommy was the one who had also had a bit of an acting career - an episode of Sanford & Sons, a couple of episodes of Hawaii 5-0, and the big movie he was in was called "Wake Me When It's Over" (1960).)

"Anyhow, I said that my mom won a beauty contest at the Luau 500. That's the part that was wrong. She did win a beauty pageant - Miss Niisei Sino - but it was not at the Luau 500. It was a local Asian/Hawaiian organization's beauty pageant."

I wish her mom or uncle had saved me a mug or 12....
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 9:54 pm   Permalink

Love the stylish simplicity of the logo. Always struck us as particularly unique. Love it so much we recently made a handful of these pendants.

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 8:21 pm   Permalink

Here is a fun little souvenir photo from the Luau 400.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 8:39 pm   Permalink

It's Barbie in Tikiland!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 8:44 pm   Permalink

Barbie with the one-piece Zebra suit no less!

DC

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 10:44 am   Permalink

from oogamooga - tiki clean
all white vers

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 7:25 pm   Permalink

I came across this Luau 400 menu on ebay from the opening night in 1957.

A classic example of the pre-Tiki period where they had not yet incorporated the Tiki mask figure that later became their signature.

DC

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 7:56 pm   Permalink

Not an easy mug to find.Found this one several years ago .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-22 10:09 pm   Permalink

Saw this very early menu from the Luau 400 featuring a pair of Leeteg paintings on the cover on ebay a while back.

And a nice story of the restaurant on the back

Some interior photos and drinks on the menu inside.

Also spotted this cool matchbook with the unusual center opening style.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 11:51 am   Permalink

Another souvenir photo showing a handsome couple at the Luau 400 I found online. You can see the corner of the menu on the table.

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation