FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Luau 400, New York City, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Luau 400, New York City, NY (restaurant)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

Classic. Nice find.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 7:57 pm   Permalink

how about thanksgiving at the luau 400, from the NYT, november 24, 1959?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuartmc

Posted: 2013-08-02 05:07 am   Permalink

I remember this place well. They had a Sunday all you can eat buffet for the low price of $4.95! This was in the 60s. They also had a great drink called the "Skindiver" which I would consume many of. The food was very good and fresh as it was crowded and there was a turnover of all of the items.

Miss it.

View Profile of stuartmc Send a personal message to stuartmc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2013-07-22 19:57, Johnny Dollar wrote:
how about thanksgiving at the luau 400, from the NYT, november 24, 1959?

It sounds wonderful. And look at the cute tiki-drink-sipping turkey with the little napkin tied around his neck! I love it when advertising anthropomorphizes the food items being sold. It's very weird if you think about it, and yet it's such a common practice. I bet someone could write an entire book just about that topic.

So who’s going to tell Mr. Turkey that he's a little mistaken about this Thanksgiving dinner invitation?

[ This Message was edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2013-08-02 11:06 ]

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 10:52 am   Permalink

The Flamingo in Santa Rosa "appropriated" the Luau 400 mask for their menu. HA!

TTT

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-01 11:29 pm   Permalink

DC, what is the date and source of that image?
The Flamingo is still operating and in fact I stayed there several years ago and it is awesome. Highly recommended to anyone who is staying overnight in that area (northern california one hour north of SF)

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 09:14 am   Permalink

The Flamingo in Santa Rosa is awesome! I was there in November...I don't recall seeing any tiki anything on property...we did check the place out quite a bit too.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 2:46 pm   Permalink

Found another old ad for the Luau 400 on flickr.

They borrowed that Wahine image from the South Pacific menu from Florida.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation