FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Luau Hut, Washington, DC (Restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Luau Hut, Washington, DC (Restaurant)
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 4:28 pm   Permalink

Name:Luau Hut
Type:Restaurant
Street:1225 19th ST. N.W.
City:Washington
State:DC
Zip: -
Phone: -

Description:

Sorry, I don't have any specific information on this particular restaurant. I came across a early front strike matchbook that I thought I would post here as I was interested and kind of curious about it. Also, there was no location for this particular restaurant so why not get one on here!

On Mimi's website, Arkiva Tropika, Mimi shows a Luau Hut Menu in Washington D.C. but it has a different address than the one on the matchbook below. Maybe the same place just moved/earlier/later?? The address on Mimi's menu was a location on Capitol Hill, at 14 F St. N.W. near Union Station.

Here are the two pictures of the matchbook that I have which was made by the Maryland Match Co. Wash., D.C.:

Now, I find the reverse of this matchbook interesting as there was a mug made by Otagiri (OMC) that was from the "Luau Hut" that had a very close resemblance to the lettering that is on this matchbook. Actually, going by memory, I would say I'm pretty sure it's the same.

Most of these mugs are a red/orange looking color and I have also seen green. I do not have one but have seen a few. Now this particular mug with these sort of petroglyph symbols is supposed to be from the Luau Hut that was once in Maryland, Silver Spring area. I have seen these mugs marked on the bottom Silver Spring as well.

Now this is the same Silver Spring location that Mimi talks about from her Luau Hut menu here:
http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item_id=261
which had a second location in Washington, D.C., that I had mentioned above.

My second clue to this being the same Luau Hut Restaurant, and the mug actually coming from this second location as well, is that as I write this I realized the matchbook above was made, by none other, than the Maryland Match Co. The location of the first Luau Hut!!! Holy smokes!!! Can you feel my excitement??!!

What does all this mean........I have no clue!!! I think I made a mystery out of a matchbook and then solved it myself as I write this!! LOL!!!
I need a drink!!

TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-22 17:54 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 5:32 pm   Permalink

Okay, after looking through Duke's great book, Tiki Quest, he has shown the OMC custom made mug for the Luau Hut. Just as I thought, the mugs lettering is bang on to the Washington locations Matchbook!!
I can make out "Luau" mixed up within the symbols but I can't really see "Hut".

Here it is in the green glaze:

Matchbook:

Alright, that's enough of me!!
TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-22 17:55 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 9:24 pm   Permalink

Alright, nobody helping me out on this thread so here I go with another!!

Here's what we know:

The Luau Hut had 2 locations in the Maryland/Washington D.C. area. Owners Moon Kim, Paul Malonson, and Bob Gibbons opened the Bethesda/Silver Spring location first, at 8407 Ramsey Ave. The second Luau Hut was on Capitol Hill, at 14 F St. NW, near Union Station. The restaurant (with thatched-roof theme) was located at street level, and the Outrigger Lounge was downstairs. (From Mimi's website, Arkiva Tropika)

Before the Luau Hut opened on Capital Hill at 14 F St. NW, it was once located at 1225 19th ST. The matchbook in the first post (along with address) is actually from the first location. It is the same Luau Hut Restaurant but later changed addresses. I am not sure how long before the move or why they moved.

This is proven by the following matchbook calling the Capital Hill location the "New Luau Hut":

You can see the same A-Frame style logo and also the petroglyph symbols as used on their mugs and both ages of matchbooks.

The following 1967 dinner menu features the signature Hula Girl, which was also incorporated onto one of their souvenir tiki mugs:

Here's the inside also with the Hula Girl:

And here is the custom mug made by Otagiri (OMC) in green:

I also saw this cool write up on the Luau Hut from the Evening Star on Mimi's website and thought I would put it here:

Now does anybody have a postcard or photo of either of these locations??

Mahalo, TabooDan

JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 6:21 pm   Permalink

I have done a little research but have nothing really worth adding. You are correct. There were two locations, one on Capitol Hill and one in Silver Spring, which is a suburb in Maryland just outside DC. The latter was really happening back in the day, but now looks like an edge city with a few preserved gems.

My research mostly finds the F street address. I was unaware that they had moved from 19th street. 19th street would have put them in either the DuPont Circle area or the West End. Capitol Hill is self explanatory.

I have two of the green mugs with the girl. One I bought for six or eight bucks in an antique shop near Silver Spring. The owner recalled the place, but that was about it. The other I found in a thrift store for a dollar and that was pretty cool. I have seen them on the Bay if you are determined.

My mom remembers going to the place (Silver Spring) and said it was pretty cool. Its sad that we once had a decent amount of Tiki here, but it has all gone the way of the dodo bird.

I am perpetually planning my home bar and have considered naming after the LH as a tribute.

[ This Message was edited by: JackLord 2009-05-27 18:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: JackLord 2009-05-27 18:24 ]

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 04:47 am   Permalink

Hey JackLord! Can you get a picture on here of what is in the building now or if either of these locations are even still standing? Don't know much about how D.C. works with destroying the old, renovating, or building new.
Thanks, TabooDan

JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 4:47 pm   Permalink

That might be depressing...

I will go and see what is there, but it may take some time as home renovations and toddler watching are monopolizing my time.

Used to be one nearby called the Diamond Head- owned by my neighbor no less. The entire block has been razed and now houses a Staples and CVS. Ironically, the location of his first joint, the Seven Seas, remains. The building reminds me of Heston's residence in the Omega Man. I digress....

Stay tuned...

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 5:43 pm   Permalink

the address i have for the silver spring luau hut is

8407 Ramsey Ave, Silver Spring, MD

the current location of which is pretty much a parking garage, so it is likely the original structure is long gone.

i have a matte brown petroglyph type mug for the luau hut at least - i suspect i might have another one, although i may be mixing it up with the aloha hut.

incidentally, the d.c. location, near union station, 20001, is now the site of an irish bar named kelly's irish times - look at the following photos - it is very likely that this was originally a chinese restaruant, which was later tikified, then at some later point irish-fied.

look at the pattern of the muntins on the window on the left side, and the roof forms and the form of the sign on top - vintage chinese restaurant all the way.

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2009-05-29 17:49 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 6:25 pm   Permalink

Sure, the Irish Times. Been there dozens of times. Come to think of it, I occasionally see a Chinese Restaurant postcard on eBay that catches my attention until I look at the price. The name escapes me, but it was near Union Station, so its probably the one that became the Luau Hut and so on. Good work.

I looked up the 19th street address and its now the Palm Restaurant in a large 60s/70s building. Here is a side view although google maps will give you a front one"
http://www.eventective.com/USA/Dist+of+Columbia/Washington/204357/The-Palm-Washington-D-C-.html

I will as my mother about the joint and see if she recalls any specifics.

Nice job lads.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 6:35 pm   Permalink

boom! the gods of the internets smiled upon me.

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2009-05-29 18:38 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 6:07 pm   Permalink

That's it!

Gotta do a photo spread of Chinese Lantern>Luau Hut>Irish Times. The gin joint version of those evolution of man charts.

rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 8:38 pm   Permalink

I had it on good authority from a local (and confirmed it with the address that's posted here) that this building just across the street from the Silver Spring Metro Station is the former location of the Luau Hut: 8407 Ramsey Ave. This building has an unusual sort of - I don't know what to call it - "rigging" like an outrigger. The building has always struck me as looking like a longhouse, an unusual shape for Silver Spring. It most recently was a restaurant, and at the time of this posting is vacant awaiting a tenant.

Here's a nice view from across the street:

Closeup of the door - note the address numbers over the door - 8407.

The building sits on a corner, here's a view from that side:

Here's a view from under the "rigging":

And another view from the corner looking up the sidewalk:

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 7:31 pm   Permalink

no wai!

i figured from the maps of google that those buildings were just recent add-ons to the parking garage!!!

kick ass! that looks like a luau hut for sure, under that paint!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 10:59 am   Permalink

I have a menu from the Luau Huts that was made for both addresses - the one at 14 F Street in Washington and the one in Silver Springs.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 2:40 pm   Permalink

wow... both ben stein and goldie hawn are from silver spring... if anyone knows them, ask them if they every went

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 4:20 pm   Permalink

Hey, that's cool to see the buildings! Great addition to this post guys!!
It would have been cool to see this yellow building back in the day. You could very easily see it with all the decorations outside and some large Tikis!! Now we gotta find some period shots!! Looks like it could have been quite the landmark so get your butts down to the Library or Archives and see what you can find!
Thanks for the posts!!

TabooDan

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation