FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Luau Hut, Washington, DC (Restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Luau Hut, Washington, DC (Restaurant)
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 11:26 am   Permalink

thanks again for all the wonderful history, luauhut!

someday we would love to gather those who were involved with running the classic dc-area tiki establishments - if you would be interested in joining in, that would be great!

johnny dollar (baltimore)

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 1:50 pm   Permalink

I was doing a little research on the internet came across this fuzzy picture of a matchbook from the Waikiki restaurant located in Washington DC. The matchbook has the same lettering used on the two custom mugs also from the Waikiki.

The location listed for the Waikiki is 14 F Street NW, which is the same location as the second Luau Hut restaurant!

Or Got Rum posted that Waikiki business license was initiated in 1959, so the Waikiki must have preceded the Luau Hut. Maybe Moon Kim's daughter (LuauHut) can provide some info on this development.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 3:34 pm   Permalink

Good sluething brudah!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-05 07:11 am   Permalink

Great detective work DC. I cleaned up the matchbook photo to get a better look at it. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-21 12:23 am   Permalink

DC, not to derail your fantastic research/discovery on the DC Luau Hut, but wanted to bring this back around to Kim Tsoy

Here is his facebook page if anyone wants to keep in touch with him:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001246410496&ref=search

and Jeff Central is currently working on digitizing the Kim Tsoy and the Sauce Luau Hut lp. Jeff will post the cover art here in a week or so after he scans it.

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2010-06-21 00:24 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LuauHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-31 06:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-04 13:50, Dustycajun wrote:
I was doing a little research on the internet came across this fuzzy picture of a matchbook from the Waikiki restaurant located in Washington DC. The matchbook has the same lettering used on the two custom mugs also from the Waikiki.

The location listed for the Waikiki is 14 F Street NW, which is the same location as the second Luau Hut restaurant!

Or Got Rum posted that Waikiki business license was initiated in 1959, so the Waikiki must have preceded the Luau Hut. Maybe Moon Kim's daughter (LuauHut) can provide some info on this development.

DC

Here's what I was able to find out: the Waikiki restaurant occupied the same F Street bldg just before it was purchased for the second Luau Hut. A lot of the furnishings from the Waikiki were re-used, but also a lot of changes and additions were made to give it the Luau Hut style.

You guys do amazing research!

View Profile of LuauHut Send a personal message to LuauHut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-02 10:57 pm   Permalink

Kim Tsoy wanted me to post this message to Taboo Dan:

I just wanted him to know that the original Luau Hut was started in Silver Spring, Maryland, in 1963 by Moon and Paul Malonson. Then we opened the Luau Hut Capitol Hill on 14 F Street. in 1967 where I helped to managed and also started the Tradewinds who later became Kim Tsoy and the Tsauce to entertain a lot of Happy People. In 1970 we opened the Luau In Inn on 19th St. NW where I put together my crowning glory , a 13 piece Pop,Jazz Fusion Band called DRAGON. In 1972, Moon and Paul went to Freeport, Grand Bahamas and opened the Island Lobster House.
I hope this info helps in the memories of all our Luau Hut fans.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-02 11:01 pm   Permalink

BTW
In case you all have not heard

Kim Tsoy and the New Sauce (Frank from Ape, Tony and drummer from Martini Kings) will be headlining at Tiki Oasis 10 on Friday August 20

should be a nice look into Tiki lounge historyas Kim will perform his Tiny Bubbles/One Paddle medley as well as a few of the songs he used to perform onstage at the Luau Hut in the 1960s

Kim will also have a few copies of his lp burned to CD for sale

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 10:38 am   Permalink

You mean this album.........................

I'm so looking forward to this.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 2:19 pm   Permalink

Jeff Central,

That is a great album cover with the band and the signature Luau Hut wahine. Should be a fun show at Oasis.

I saw this matchbook from a knock-off Luau Hut that was located in Providence, RI.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-02 22:57, Otto wrote:
Kim Tsoy wanted me to post this message to Taboo Dan:

I just wanted him to know that the original Luau Hut was started in Silver Spring, Maryland, in 1963 by Moon and Paul Malonson. Then we opened the Luau Hut Capitol Hill on 14 F Street. in 1967 where I helped to managed and also started the Tradewinds who later became Kim Tsoy and the Tsauce to entertain a lot of Happy People. In 1970 we opened the Luau In Inn on 19th St. NW where I put together my crowning glory , a 13 piece Pop,Jazz Fusion Band called DRAGON. In 1972, Moon and Paul went to Freeport, Grand Bahamas and opened the Island Lobster House.
I hope this info helps in the memories of all our Luau Hut fans.

Thanks alot Otto!! What a great thread this has been!! Please pass on my Aloha to Kim Tsoy! I wish I could make it down for Oasis this year!! It sounds like it is going to be a great time!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 7:10 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,

You are right, this has turned out to be a great historical thread, thanks for getting it started!

Here is another Tiki mug variety that sold on ebay recently, I have not seen this bug-eyed version marked with the Luau Hut before.

Also, a link to the footage that Chrisandsarahb took of Kim Tsoy and the New Sauce at Tiki Oasis 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIoMHLZvCs

Luau Hut rocks!

DC

Kane Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-31 9:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-19 20:42, Johnny Dollar wrote:
thanks for the description, luauhut!

do you ever recall using this version of mug for the tiki tumbler or other drink? my sister-in-law's parents collected them years ago, and we think they were from the luau hut, but are not 100% sure.

thanks again!

I picked up one of these unmarked mugs along with two of the green marked hula mugs on the weekend here in Sydney so I can only assume they came from the same place. The lot also included 3 hula mugs from the South Pacific in Arlington, Virginia so I can only assume the government/military type who picked these up, presumably on the same trip, partook in more pleasure than business!

edit: added a pic of the entire haul as described above

[ This Message was edited by: Kane Tiki 2012-01-25 03:23 ]

View Profile of Kane Tiki Send a personal message to Kane Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-01 07:12 am   Permalink

wow, that is some great provenance, kane tiki! luau hut and the south pacific in one lot! thanks for sharing!

j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 10:01 pm   Permalink

Via the Silver Spring Singular blog...
http://www.silverspringsingular.com/2011/06/friday-news-n-notes.html

which got it from this Twitter tweet...
http://twitter.com/#!/WDCGardener/status/76285878707818496

...comes the news that a menu from the Luau Hut is now part of a Smithsonian Collection. I recommend reading this, as it's interesting to hear how the museum got this collection of restaurant menus. That posting from Smithsonian is here (and also includes an image of The Willows menu from Hawaii):
http://blog.americanhistory.si.edu/osaycanyousee/2011/05/dear-sir-please-send-a-menu-virginia-mericle.html

Or you can see the menu right here:

Huzzah to all of us,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation