FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Permit exemption for Tiki/Chickee huts in Florida
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Permit exemption for Tiki/Chickee huts in Florida
roach33990

Posted: 2009-05-27 10:50 pm   Permalink

There have been several recent articles in Florida newspapers regarding Tiki/Chickee huts.
It appears that you do not need a permit (but you still have to follow zoning)
IF
Your hut is constructed by either the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida or the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

Kind of a nice touch since I hear that they use building methods passed down from generation to generation.

If you live in Florida, this might be a good thing to know if you are in one of those rule heavy communities.

I am not a construction lawyer nor do I play on on TV.

Check your local laws.

View Profile of roach33990 Send a personal message to roach33990  Goto the website of roach33990     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-28 5:35 pm   Permalink

Permits..... Bah. Never use em'... With all the local Govt budget cuts nobody's looking anyway.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trestiki
Deleted

Posted: 2009-05-28 5:59 pm   Permalink

Permit not necessary .... it's a open air structure

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 6:48 pm   Permalink

You probably have more problems if your community is deed restricted. Some of the 'neighborhood watch' just hate it if you're having more fun than they are.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIMIKE FL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-29 6:27 pm   Permalink

The State of Florida building law also states that you can not have electric or plumbing in the hut constructed by the indians(without a permit). So just have a licensed building contractor to make it for you, like me. Tiki Mike 321-626-2434
Mahalo

View Profile of TIKIMIKE FL Send a personal message to TIKIMIKE FL  Email TIKIMIKE FL Goto the website of TIKIMIKE FL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 07:18 am   Permalink

Check with your local government as well..... In Hollywood you have to have a permit if it is a permanent structure regardless of who built it.

I got around that by redesigning my idea and not attaching it to the ground. Since it could be moved (yeah right!) I didn't have to have a permit.

Here it is almost done. (pix from 04)

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 09:02 am   Permalink

Is this why there are several thousand tiki bars in Florida? I know about the Mai Kai, how about a look at some of the others.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 09:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-30 09:02, Ojaitimo wrote:
Is this why there are several thousand tiki bars in Florida? I know about the Mai Kai, how about a look at some of the others.

I thought everyone knew the answer to this already. There are not "several thousand" tiki bars in Florida. There is the Mai-Kai,
Hawaiian Inn in Daytona, the (infamous) Waitiki in Orlando and the mostly forgettable Trader Vic's in Destin. That's about it. The thousands of so-called "tiki bars" are just tropical-styled bars with no real connection whatsoever to mid-century tiki.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 09:53 am   Permalink

Rob you forgot a big one - Polynesian Resort in Disney World!! My original tiki experience in 1974ish. Spent a week there every summer in my youth. Not many people like to include it, but it was part of Uncle Walt's original vision.

In Florida if it has a thatch roof it is "advertised" as tiki bar. I even have a place next to my house that bills themselves as having a tiki bar and its just a bar outside (without thatch). Thank goodness I have the Mai Kai!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 5:44 pm   Permalink

Found this placed called Florida Tiki Huts. The background music on the site explains all.
http://www.floridatikihuts.com/

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mambo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-01 6:06 pm   Permalink

Chip or Andy,

Since your hut is "movable" and not secured, what do you do
when the hurricane warnings come?

View Profile of Mambo Send a personal message to Mambo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 6:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-01 18:06, Mambo wrote:
Chip or Andy,

Since your hut is "movable" and not secured, what do you do
when the hurricane warnings come?

Move everything else.

The thing has to weigh a ton, and I mean literally. If we get a storm big enough to blow that thing into the pool, the hut is going to be the least of my worries.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 6:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-01 09:53, AlohaStation wrote:
Rob you forgot a big one - Polynesian Resort in Disney World!!

True, but it also has lots of little kids running around in Mickey ears. Kind of ruins it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The thousands of so-called "tiki bars" are just tropical-styled bars with no real connection whatsoever to mid-century tiki.

It's been my experience that if a bar is just outside it is referred to as a "tiki bar". If you can spot thatch, a tiki or even something that is Polynesian (and not Caribbean) consider yourself lucky.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danielabalasa67

Posted: 2013-08-16 2:27 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone!
I have been looking for something like this, and I found this one
http://www.palmhuts.com/ but I am not sure about the quality or the origin of their offering.
Has anyone have looked into this before? If you have any other options you know are worth the time to check out, please post them here. Thanks!

View Profile of danielabalasa67 Send a personal message to danielabalasa67  Email danielabalasa67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation