FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Exotica Girl thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
The Exotica Girl thread
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 11:09 am   Permalink

Spurred by the Black Velvet thread, I thought it would be a good thing to pay homage to the Exotica girl, a concept spawned but not limited to Martin Denny's record covers. The Exotica girl can be, but must not be, a Polynesian wahine. Or she can be of Asian descend, like Vladimir Tretchikoff's models. More often she is a mix of several exotic races, and can even have a dash of oriental heritage. But she is always dark haired, dark eyed, and slightly dark skinned. Her almond eyes are hypnotic, and her gypsy temperament makes her seem dangerous and seductive.

If you have images that fit the above genre, from whatever medium, please post them here.

The woman who gave the genre its name, Sandy Warner

One of my favorite LP cover girls:

I believe that first the experiences of American G.I.s, and then the American business travelers contributed to the rise of the Exotica girl image.

Movies always used the allure of the "other", of course.

This post is really an excuse to share the most amazing Exotica girl performance I have ever seen, Debra Paget doing the snake charmer dance in Fritz Lang's "The Indian Tomb" (his first German production after Hollywood):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkVzQ1dJ7I8&feature=related

Don't mind the hokey snake, watch zee girl!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 11:29 am   Permalink

Ms. Paget (now Mrs. Kung I think?) went to my church in Houston when i was young and her son to the school where I went (though he was much younger).
I was always fascinated by her and still have a big ol' girl crush on her, ever since "Broken Arrow" with Jimmy Stewart.

Usually playing the super-wholesome gal (e.g., one of Moses' daughters), it's therefore super-wowie to see her like *that*!
!!Yowza!!

Gotta giggle at your claiming the Exotica Girl is dark-haired, Sven, as the Martin Denny Girl Sandy Warner was blonde but got the dark wig treatment often. And often not! But i agree, the raven-tressed pseudo-Asian girl is the norm.

Always wished I had dark eyes and dark hair myself. Tried the black hair thing once.
*Bad* idea. BAD.

Waspy McWasp except when I pull out the black wig,
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 11:40 am   Permalink

Somehow I think this is gonna be one of my favorite
threads to visit! Love "The Indian Tomb"...haven't
seen that in awhile. Very Hypnotica! Thanks for sharing!

[ This Message was edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-05-28 11:41 ]

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-28 11:29, Formikahini wrote:
Waspy McWasp except when I pull out the black wig,

Not so! Since your performance with Robert Drasnin you indubitably are an Exotica girl, at least in my book!

There clearly ARE exceptions to the dark haired rule:

According to imdb, Miss Paget tried out for the Sheena part but didn't get it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 12:08 pm   Permalink

Nice thread Bigbro.

Here is another blondie, Melody May from Jungleland.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 12:12 pm   Permalink

This post from Cool Manchu in Tiki Music covers a lot of ground.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32134&forum=11&hilite=album

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-28 11:09, bigbrotiki wrote:
Spurred by the Black Velvet thread, I thought it would be a good thing to pay homage to the Exotica girl, a concept spawned but not limited to Martin Denny's record covers. The Exotica girl can be, but must not be, a Polynesian wahine. Or she can be of Asian descend, like Vladimir Tretchikoff's models. More often she is a mix of several exotic races, and can even have a dash of oriental heritage. But she is always dark haired, dark eyed, and slightly dark skinned. Her almond eyes are hypnotic, and her gypsy temperament makes her seem dangerous and seductive.

If you have images that fit the above genre, from whatever medium, please post them here.

[

Sven, how did you find afro gypsia???? That is so rare! My Mom had it in her record collection and as a child, I was soooooo in love with that woman!!!!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-29 12:17 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 1:17 pm   Permalink

Was there a precursor to the Exotica/Mystery Girl? Did black and white photography have any influence on the models choice of hair color?

For me it's all about the eyes. The right make-up or touches can make any women appear like an Exotica Queen, regardless of her surroundings. Above is a pin-up art of Lou Shabner.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 1:43 pm   Permalink

HUBAHUBA!!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 6:21 pm   Permalink

I appreciate your excitement at rediscovering your long lost childhood sweetheart, Luke, but please edit out all that doubling up of my complete image string, that just wastes a lot of space.

And folks, is that all you can come up with for REAL Exotica girls? C'mon, here, I'll show some more examples:

As the term entails, the emphasis is on "exotic"

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 7:13 pm   Permalink

Barbara Luna, or any woman from a 60's Sci-fi show.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 7:44 pm   Permalink

here are two of mine:

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-05-28 8:42 pm   Permalink

A few that I haven't posted before:

model Sandy Lane with idol

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-05-28 21:18 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 8:56 pm   Permalink

Some may not agree, but Yvonne De Carlo/Lily Munster fits the mold for me!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 9:22 pm   Permalink

OK, exquisitecorpse, I'm not sure that topless/cornfed exactly fits the bill!!

People, lest you not get the joke, this is not a thread about today's term "Exotic Dancing", aka "Buck Nekkid" or Poledancing with Pasties.
Let's stick to the topic (unless of course, the "Here's two of mine" comment was not jokingly referring to her two, um, her two outstanding, um.... never mind. Shame on you for trying to lead the readers astray!).

(I love and have your second and very appropriate one. Nice! Haven't looked at it in years; she deserves a gander.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation