FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Exotica Girl thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
The Exotica Girl thread
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-17 15:16, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-02-17 14:55, Brudda Bear wrote:
Now, of course, none of these images will ensconce her solidly into the Exotica girl category, but I think they make the case a little firmer than just blonde Jeannie on her lonesome.

I disagree. Honestly I think the images are out of context for this thread and arguably derail it's purpose. My point wasn't that Barbara Eden was a "true" Exotica girl the way we would define it here but rather as close as you could get for a 1960's sitcom (and I purposely used smaller more discrete images). Anyone casually glancing at this post would assume Exotica = Pin-up.

Well, I myself said in my post she had problems in regards to Exotica, and never tried to claim she was a true Exotica girl. To wit;

Quote:
On 2012-02-17 14:55, Brudda Bear wrote:
none of these images will ensconce her solidly into the Exotica girl category

And yes, for campy '60s sitcoms, it's hard to find Exotica girls. My mistake was that I thought you were at least halfway serious about making a case based on the costuming and theme, and that you were just being lazy. Fine, I didn't "get you." As for the images, they are what they are, that's how they were found.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-17 15:44, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
So if we can picture it as a cover to a long lost "Martin Denny" Album
That would be a true ExoticA Girl?

If that works for you, that would be a good way to go about it, Chuck.

So I give my thumbs up to Nancy Kwan, YES! ...but not so much to Barbara Eden. So she should go into the "The exotic Girl" thread

...which really doesn't have that much to do with Tiki - just like Barbara Eden.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 5:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-17 16:11, bigbrotiki wrote:

I give my thumbs up to Nancy Kwan, YES!

Well, then how about the equally delicious
Win Min Than? Born in 1933 as Helga Johnston to an Australian "British Raj" government official and a Burmese mother. Sadly, she only appeared in one film, "The Purple Plain" opposite Gregory Peck. There is also more info on her that is interesting in the Wikipedia write-up on the film.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 5:37 pm   Permalink

I think we are getting to far into purely Asian territory here.

An Exotica girl is much more of mysterious origin, usually a mixture of "exotic" and European races - someone that was not considered a common beauty in the 50s, more "Verboten" and intriguing.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 5:50 pm   Permalink

So presented only for context & searching for real instead of idealized Exotica girls
I started with Maori Girls...

A modern & mixed culture variation..

Can these be considered "Exotica" & what fits & what does not?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 6:56 pm   Permalink

I think the imagery shouldn't be too National Geographic authentic or ring post mid-1970's.

Also an Exotica girl's smile should be seductively demure and not a large grin. The latter suggests "Hi wanna be my friend !!". The former "You might get lucky tonight..."

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-17 18:58 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 9:16 pm   Permalink

So too exotic and not old enough, Check

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-11 2:16 pm   Permalink

Tura Satana… Exotic or ExoticA ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 2:10 pm   Permalink

In the 1990's, Del-Fi records release 3 retropective compilations featuring Kari Wuhrer on the cover.

One of them had music with primitive cultures as it's subject matter and Ms. Wurher as a campy parody of an exotica woman.

But by doing a campy parody of an exotica girl, she became an exotica girl.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-03-27 4:58 pm   Permalink

Hey! That scan is from my website. Which is fine. But I can't believe that was 13 years ago.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 10:06 pm   Permalink

Hmm...I can't believe it was 17 years ago that I filmed her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ooriu3Srs

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-13 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-11 14:16, JOHN-O wrote:

Tura Satana… Exotic or ExoticA ??

Ah Ha !! Another Tiki connection, further validating Tura's status in the Tiki Revival...

(More Tropics content from Bigbro)

This place just moved up a notch on my Tiki Time Machine travel itinerary.

EDIT - Actually that ad above was from Dustycajun.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-04-13 09:35 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-13 09:16 am   Permalink

Merci, mais pourquois mois? DC started a solid thread about the Denver Tropics,
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36405&forum=2

....and local archeologists like Mike Skinner are closer to the source:

Quote:

On 2010-05-08 13:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
Zulu Magoo (Mike Skinner) has posted these fantastic photos here (under Denver Tiki) and Michelle Baldwyn wrote an article about it in the Denver Tiki Fanzine:

According to the article, the building still stands.

That leopard leotard photo is a fave of mine. In those outfits, these ladies pass as Exotica girls in action.

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-14 2:07 pm   Permalink

I just love those exotica girls. .

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-19 8:43 pm   Permalink

A great studio photo of Nancy Kwan.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation