FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel), Cleveland, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel), Cleveland, OH (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 5:32 pm   Permalink

Name:Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel)
Type:restaurant
Street:Public Square
City:Cleveland
State:OH
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Kon Tiki restaurant in Cleveland seems to be one of the lesser publicized locations in the Steven Crane chain. It was located in the Sheraton Hotel at the Public Square in Cleveland. It was the third Kon Tiki restaurant to be built in partnership with Sheraton Hotels, following the Montreal and Portland locations. There was a fourth located in Cincinnati at the Hotel Gibson.

This is a great postcard of the interior. Really a lot going on here from the wall decorations down to the drinks, lamps and serving bowls on the tables.

Here is a postcard showing the lunch buffet at the Kon Tiki with the cannibal carvings watching over the food.

Here is a souvenir menu from the Kon Tiki.

The manager was Allen James Lowe

Some of the illustrated drink pages

I found some pictures of another menu from Cleveland.

I also found this article on-line that talks about the restaurant and has a great map of the interior layout showing the various rooms and features. Unfortunately you only get to see the first page of the article for free.

I read that there is a great a picture of the entrance to the Cleveland Kon Tiki on Superior Avenue in the book \"Cleveland Food Memories\". If anybody out there has that book, please post.

This listing is on the back of a Kon Tiki matchbook, and the second listing from the menu show all of Steve Crane restaurants.

It seems as though some of the names changes?

I don't remember seeing anything for the Ports o Call in Beverly Hills?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 5:48 pm   Permalink

Great job as usual Dusty. I like the view of the floor plan I don't think I have seen that one before.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Emetiki

Posted: 2011-04-08 1:03 pm   Permalink

I just found some recipes in an old cookbook from the Kon-Tiki in Cleveland. I posted a blog and images about it, including the recipes.

http://tourdetiki2010.com/?p=417

View Profile of Emetiki Send a personal message to Emetiki  Email Emetiki Goto the website of Emetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 1:25 pm   Permalink

Emetiki,

Thanks for the link. I grabbed the awesome exterior photo of the Kon tiki from your blog to post here. Was that photo in the cookbook? If not, where where did you find it?

First time I have seen this one.

As I stated before, there is another great a picture of the entrance to the Cleveland Kon Tiki on Superior Avenue in the book "Cleveland Food Memories". If anybody out there has that book, please post.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 1:49 pm   Permalink

Most excellent pic! Had no idea it looked this good. I flattened the gamma a little, and though I still can't make out the A-frame gable inside design, you now see that two full sized Tikis are flanking the doorway.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 06:50 am   Permalink

This is what you do when you put a Tiki restaurant into a space that is hard to modify and not "right" for you theme. I am sure this all had to also be semi-easily removed for later use.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 7:07 pm   Permalink

A brochure of the buffet at Kon Tiki Cleveland.

Lunch had hours, dinner had hours, but "Cocktails Anytime" ... I like the sound of that!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-05 6:22 pm   Permalink

Funny little ad for a date weekend at the Kon Tiki in Cleveland.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 7:44 pm   Permalink

Here is another funny little ad promoting group events at the Cleveland Kon Tiki.

And the matchbook.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-23 9:35 pm   Permalink

Close up of the entrance and the doors....

That were recently found by Tiki David.

Great score on a cool piece of history.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-24 11:14 am   Permalink

Some more of Tiki David's finds from the Kon Tiki in Cleveland, as presented on Tiki Finds:

Quote:

On 2013-02-05 05:22, TIKI DAVID wrote:
LAST WEEKS SCORE;
OUTRRIGER from the Kon Tiki cleveland.

And one of the 6' Tikis from inside.

Quote:

On 2013-01-27 15:16, TIKI DAVID wrote:
scored a couple thing's today.from the 'KON TIKI' Cleveland.

10ft. tall

Great stuff!

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-24 11:54 am   Permalink

DC, Great way of showing David's great finds in the original settings. Also many thanks for your continuous posts on one the best threads on TC. You are relentless. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-24 12:09 pm   Permalink

Yes. Dusty great job ,thanks.
Hang on, when I get back home there are going to be 20 more panels,and,a boat load of bamboo.

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2013-02-24 12:11 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-24 3:57 pm   Permalink

Tiki David,

Would like to see some more photos of your Kon Tiki artifacts, and hear the story on how you found them.

DC

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 06:46 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-02-23 21:35, Dustycajun wrote:
Close up of the entrance and the doors....

That were recently found by Tiki David.

Great score on a cool piece of history.

DC
[/quote
Dustycajun,
do you happen to know if any of the other Steve Crane Kon Tiki's had these doors?
If so, do they still exist out there somewhere?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation