FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel), Cleveland, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel), Cleveland, OH (restaurant)
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 08:18 am   Permalink

Great find! Do you own them, or just find them? Would be hard to find a use for them. The handles look great. Can you get a better image?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 09:55 am   Permalink

Tiki David,

Looks like the same doors at the Kon Tiki in Montreal.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 06:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-13 09:55, Dustycajun wrote:
Tiki David,

Looks like the same doors at the Kon Tiki in Montreal.

DC

Yes the do seem to be the same doors,in the drawing,
but in any of the photos I've seen,the doors are not clearly seen.
(this does not mean clearer photos do not exist,just that I have not seen them.)
Since ,Montreal & Cleveland were built about the same time,could this just be a artistic conception of what the Montreal location would/could /should look like?
The reason I ask is ,IF I should choose to sell these,would I be out of line
saying they are, "the only ones known to exist"/"one of a kind"/"very rare"?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 06:47 am   Permalink

I'm sorry, TWENTY MORE PANELS?!?!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-14 06:47, Hale Tiki wrote:
I'm sorry, TWENTY MORE PANELS?!?!

not quite sure,but what exactly are you sorry about?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 4:05 pm   Permalink

Twenty more panels;

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 4:09 pm   Permalink

That's amazing. Absolutely amazing. They're beautiful. Wow. Don't know how you did it, but good on ya for tracking them down. Wow.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 4:15 pm   Permalink

I've been working on this for 8 years.

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-29 8:04 pm   Permalink

This is probably already posted somewhere on TC, but I couldn't find it. 3 of the carved tikis are in the pool atrium at the now Cleveland Rennaisance Hotel.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 11:02 pm   Permalink

Thinking of Tiki David. What a great urban archaeologist and contributor to Tiki Central. He will be missed.

Here is another postcard I spotted showing the interior of the Cleveland Kon Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 07:36 am   Permalink

Holy COW! I have that big-headed seated marquesan tiki from the Kon Tiki Cleveland in the last photo!

I got her (and it is a she) from an old man that rescued her when the Kon Tiki closed. I've been scouring the net to find a pic of her in situ since I picked her up a few years ago.. And there she is, behind the fried rice at the buffet!!!

Thanks Dusty!! I'm sending you a pm!

Will post some pics of her & more info tonite if I get a chance for those interested.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-24 07:36, happy buddha wrote:
Thanks Dusty!! I'm sending you a pm!

Will post some pics of her & more info tonite if I get a chance for those interested.

Would love to see some pics of the Tiki. I clipped the image of the card from ebay a while back, so I don't have a good scan, but here is a close up of the Tiki.

Did anybody on Tiki Central get that card for a better close-up?

DC

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-25 06:24 am   Permalink

Ok here she is. I will post better pictures of her once my bar is finished. She is an amazing and unique piece, being that she's a female big-headed Marq, she's seated (the base is a seperate piece that she fits into with pegs, and that she's got such prominent, well... t&a. Then again, this is Steve Crane we're talking about

Anyway hope you enjoy these quick shots, thanks to Dusty once again for the pic of her in situ.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation