[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Beachbumz - Tiki Carvings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Beachbumz - Tiki Carvings
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-29 12:48 am   Permalink

I have been wanting to try and carve a tiki for many years but just never made it happen.. Maholo's to MauiTiki who gave me a coco log and a plainer to use, I finally made a move on it!!

I've always liked the Marquesan style tiki carvings so I thought I'd give that style a try...
Well it didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it to.. but It was lot's of fun and I'm ready to try another.. Just picked up an angle grinder today and hopefully a better assortment of chisels soon as well..
Day 1

Day 2
I bought an angle grinder and got a little deeper, I love this tool!
sanded down and used some Spar varnish..

Now I'm on the hunt for some more logs...
Too bad papaya trees are hollow in the middle!!

aloha
Scott

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-02 15:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-10 22:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-12 23:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: beachbumz 2010-01-03 22:47 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 03:49 am   Permalink

That's a great first tiki, you should be proud of that one. From the photos, it looks like you already have a fan base too.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 06:42 am   Permalink

Great first carve. Never tried Papaya, but remember that carving does not have to be done to the shape of a log. In fact, I have been trying to carve away from the shape of the log. Good luck and keep posting.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 10:22 am   Permalink

Dude, That is one excellent first carve! You got through one of the biggest problems, on your first carve, that new carvers face and that depth. Way to go!

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 12:32 pm   Permalink

Great carve! Nice style. Amazing that was your first one.
Look forward to seeing what you do next. keep it up!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 2:34 pm   Permalink

Great job!
Kids are itching to do it as well. Mine learned the hard way , lol.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 4:56 pm   Permalink

Excellent 1st Tiki! Way above normal on this guy for the first one.
LOOK out you might be hooked?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-05-29 5:25 pm   Permalink

I was "Hooked" before I began... now I'm dreaming of Wood logs all over the place....

My boys would love to give the angle grinder a try..... I don't think so... yet..... They plan on helping me with the next one though.. I'll let them do the chiseling...

Thanks for the encouraging posts everyone, I'll keep posting as I make em...

Aloha's

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2009-05-29 8:16 pm   Permalink

First big tiki? I'd say you've got a knack for this. Solid lines, symmetry and stance. I love the expression too.

I hope you find another log soon.

Great job! Enjoy it!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 8:51 pm   Permalink

Realy kool Tiki , very nice.

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 04:47 am   Permalink

First tiki no way,great stuff lets see some more.

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 6:11 pm   Permalink

A guy who picks an authentic classic for his first carving! The force is strong in you, my brother. Very good work, man.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-11-02 3:07 pm   Permalink

So I finally was able to pick up another log the other day while I was upcountry.. There was a large fire there last year and now plenty of cut down tree's... The bark on the outside was burnt but it all came off very easy. I sketched my design last night and began carving this morning and got about this far in about 3 hours with the help of my axle grinder.. The mouth and eye's are what slow's me down..

tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 5:51 pm   Permalink

AWESOME first carve man. And the 2nd is looking good. My 2 boys hang around too its a great feeln. And that is better than anything to know your boys are lookin up to you . Kepp up the work lookin forward to following your posts TIKI GODZ OUT111

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-11-08 7:43 pm   Permalink

Thankz TikiGodz... Oh yea my boys love to watch me carve and there on there way to starting one of there own..
I still have more sanding to do but here's a few shots from toady's progress.. Once you start it hard to stop..

"TikiPop" On Instagram

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation