FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Beachbumz - Tiki Carvings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Beachbumz - Tiki Carvings
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-08 9:07 pm   Permalink

Lookin. Good Bumz , You can see the detail your going for.. Its already showing bro
sittn here waitin for pics.

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-10 05:25 am   Permalink

just discovered your thread, thanx for the pix. they look great.
hope to be in maui in jan. will stop by your shop....everybody needs a new beachtowel or something

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-10 5:27 pm   Permalink

aloha beachbumz!!! just saw your thread and took a look! WOW DUDE!! awsome first tiki love the desighn and style also the 2nd is kickin!!! cant wait to see him all dun up!! great carvin and keepem comin!! cheerz!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-10 10:32 pm   Permalink

Okay well I got a little anxious this evening and decided to start staining my "pine" tiki..
I bought some Min Wax special walnut stain and the pine just sucked it up and turned it brown..
Yea I'm a novice at all this.... so who has stained pine before? should I use just a polyurathane clear coat maybe.. I wanted him a darker but not like brown paint.. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it..
Mahalo's

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-11 09:10 am   Permalink

Beachbumz - that looks good. I just did one in pine this summer. Look at my thread and u can see the progress from my first coat of stain. Once u get a finish on it, it won't look like that brown paint anymore.

If you haven't gone any further than the pic you posted, you can sand down what you have stained so far and then thin your stain with mineral spirits and retry. It will come out lighter. Then you can build to a deeper finish if you want.

Good luck - it's lookin great.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-11-11 1:59 pm   Permalink

Mahalo's TheBigT, not sure how I missed your work but there all awesome..
I managed this morning to get the stain off fairly easy, I'm not sure if I'm just going to thin the stain down a little or I read also that I could brush on a little diluted shellac sealer and than apply a stain..
I was trying to stay away from the high gloss look,kinda into the matte finish...
I can't wait to start on a harder wood log, have any of you carved kiawe wood?

BB

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-11 5:30 pm   Permalink

beachbumz!! looks like you got your stain thing figured out as i agree w all said (i carve lots of pine) as for a nice dull non reflective shine satin thane or spar 2 coats then buff that w 0000 super fine steel wool and then wax it has in my opinion a beautiful luster that almost looks like a well taken care of but old piece! cheerz!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-12 08:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-11 13:59, Beachbumz wrote:
Mahalo's TheBigT, not sure how I missed your work but there all awesome..
I managed this morning to get the stain off fairly easy, I'm not sure if I'm just going to thin the stain down a little or I read also that I could brush on a little diluted shellac sealer and than apply a stain..
I was trying to stay away from the high gloss look,kinda into the matte finish...
I can't wait to start on a harder wood log, have any of you carved kiawe wood?

BB

Thanks beachbumz. Nope haven't carved kiawe (or even heard of it). LOL Yes you could thin down either clear or regular shellac. You might try 4 to 1 or 5 to 1. Any thinner you might raise the wood grain. For a final finish just use a satin or semi-gloss if you don't want it shiny.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-11-12 2:28 pm   Permalink

skootiki: definitely come by and see us that would be great! Thankx for the props...
So I got the stain on last night I decided to mix a little of the walnut stain with the spar urathene, I let it dry overnight and then re-sanded it a little more in some spots and applied more urethane with some red oak in it to off set the color a little.. It came out darker than I wanted but the wood filler I used on him looked better darker.. live and learn..
I'll take some pics tonight, Not sure If I'm going to buy some wax or go with the semi-gloss coating.. To complete him...
Here's a few shots of Kiawe wood, these trees grow along the coast here on the island..

BB

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-12 3:13 pm   Permalink

always thane first than if hes to shiny try the wax!! wax alone offers very little protection!! but protects and beautifies your finishes!! cheerz!

Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-11-12 11:09 pm   Permalink

Well this is about as far as I got with my pictures tonight...

Battery ran out after first shot of mai tai... but dam it was a good one..

Till tomorrow, Aloha

BB

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-13 07:39 am   Permalink

Do not mix stain and polyurethane - it just doesn't work the way shellac does (they sell that crap for people looking for a short cut - it worked great on my closet doors but not on my carvings). Stain is a tough nut to crack - ALWAYS do a test (on the same wood you are carving) if you are unsure how it will come out. Its easier to throw away a scrap and doesn't require hours of sanding if you don't like it. BTW - I love carving found wood!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-13 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-12 14:28, Beachbumz wrote:
Here's a few shots of Kiawe wood, these trees grow along the coast here on the island..

That's some nice stuff.

Beachbumz

Posted: 2009-11-14 1:33 pm   Permalink

So after about 3 clear coats of semi-gloss and a little sanding between each coat... I'm calling him Pau!!
He came out darker and glossier than I wanted but I like him.. I think I'm going to try and find a harder wood log, this pine was still wet in the middle as I dug out his mouth which made it really hard to chisel correctly..

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-14 23:23 ]

skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 4:08 pm   Permalink

great work, Paul looks fantastic.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation