Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Little More about Orgeat
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
A Little More about Orgeat
Eulercircles

Posted: 2009-05-29 1:42 pm   Permalink

I have been lurking this board for a little while, reading up on how to make ingredients for the original Mai Tai. I just made my second batch of Orgeat (with whole, blanched almonds), and am going to make a third batch tonight with almond milk. I just found the Orange Flower Water at a whole foods store today (and it is totally different from the watered down orange extract I used - LOL). I was reading up at Art of Drink about Orgeat, then I went to the Mai Tai article. I found myself reading about an American gourmet brand of Grenadine that got good reviews, and after heading over to their website I found that they make an Orgeat. Here is the link:

http://www.sonomasyrup.com/product13.html

Has anyone ever tried this one? How do you think it compares to other brands?

View Profile of Eulercircles Send a personal message to Eulercircles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-05-29 2:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-29 13:42, Eulercircles wrote:
...I found that they make an Orgeat. Here is the link:

Discussion here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30526&forum=10

Congrats on making your own orgeat. And yes, orange flower water and orange extract are not even close to the same thing.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 5:57 pm   Permalink

I was finally able to A/B the Sonoma with Monin. The Sonoma is very delicately flavored. Not a huge blast of almond like the Monin. The Mai Tais were pretty close if I subbed the Sonoma for both Orgeat and Simple Syrup. Still not as strong, but there.

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eulercircles

Posted: 2009-06-01 4:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link and the encouragement!

I made a batch of "Ahu Orgeat #1" using Almond Breeze. I cut back the sugar a bit as my resulting Mai Tai's are a little too sweet - and my girlfriend is diabetic. It came out very nicely. I need to get a better rum though - getting Appleton Estate V/X next time.

I'll search the forums, but has any brave soul ever attempted to make their own rum?

View Profile of Eulercircles Send a personal message to Eulercircles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 7:32 pm   Permalink

I started with the V/X, because it was all I could find. Finally tracked down the Extra when i ran low and WOW what a difference. Worth the effort.

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-01 16:05, Eulercircles wrote:
I'll search the forums, but has any brave soul ever attempted to make their own rum?

I'll let you know in about 10 more years.

I mean, No. The ATF frown on that sort of thing and I am a law abiding citizen who would never try to make my own hooch.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eulercircles

Posted: 2009-06-01 8:52 pm   Permalink

I had a bottle of the extra, and it was gone so quick - damn good that stuff. Currently, however, I can't fork over $35 per bottle.

Ah yes, the long arm of the law. But I thought it was only illegal to make moonshine? Theoretically, however, where would someone get a good oak cask to age their own rum in? This is for educational purposes only, of course.

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 8:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-01 20:52, Eulercircles wrote:
Theoretically, however, where would someone get a good oak cask to age their own rum in? This is for educational purposes only, of course.

Where everything comes from......ebay!

Down here in our end of the world they aren't so easy to come by. There is a winery down in Homestead that might be able to hook you up. Maybe.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 04:09 am   Permalink

Moonshine is not a technical term I think it applies to all illegally distilled beverages, if you make rum with out the proper license from the Government you have made moonshine.

I know Bourbon distilleries sell off their old oak barrels. Last time I was in Frankfort, KY, I picked one up for less than $20 for my Mom to saw in half and use as a planter.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 06:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-01 20:52, Eulercircles wrote:
Theoretically, however, where would someone get a good oak cask to age their own rum in? This is for educational purposes only, of course.

Not that I would EVER think about doing something contrary to the law....here's some companies that could theoretically hook you up...

http://www.independentstavecompany.com/
http://www.whiskeybarrel.com/
http://www.gibbsbrothers.com/

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 08:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-29 13:42, Eulercircles wrote:

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't really want to. It's made with vanilla extract, which is not part of the orgeat flavor and ruins it as an orgeat. It's made with almond extract, which means it does not use the almond milk emulsion that defines orgeat in the first place. Orgeat is a whitish substance and does not have anywhere near the sugar content of simple syrup or rock candy syrup. To me, this Sonoma product is not only not the 'Natural "Orgeat"' that it claims to be, I don't see how it qualifies as orgeat at all.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2009-06-02 08:05 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-01 16:05, Eulercircles wrote:
Thanks for the link and the encouragement!

I made a batch of "Ahu Orgeat #1" using Almond Breeze.

I have found that you can use a double measure of the Ahu #1 Orgeat and skip the simple syrup entirely and still get a really good Mai-Tai.

And, I tried making the orgeat with fake sugar and it worked OK..... I don't recommend it as a general practice, but in the case of the diabetic girlfriend it is worth trying. Fair warning, the final product is a bit thin tasting so you might have to adjust your recipe a bit to get it just right.

Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 11:19 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Sparkle Mark 2009-08-30 21:24 ]

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 6:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Sparkle Mark 2009-08-30 21:23 ]

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-19 7:00 pm   Permalink

Looks like I waited too long to see if I have any kernels for you

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation