FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music New Waitiki 7 Album - OMFG!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
New Waitiki 7 Album - OMFG!
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 4:36 pm   Permalink

If you don't have this cd, BUY IT NOW.
Kudos to the Waitiki 7, this is the real deal for exotica
music.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-25 6:15 pm   Permalink

This just in!

Adventures in Paradise debuts @ #34 on the JazzWeek Top 50 World Chart and is the #1 Most Added Album for its Add Week, as reported by MediaGuide!

Thanks all for your support of our music so far, especially to those of you who have purchased the album!

Let's keep the momentum up and help get exotica/tiki back to the mainstream!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 06:47 am   Permalink

Here's another great review, from Under The Radar

The Waitiki 7
Adventures in Paradise
Pass Out
Aug 26, 2009 WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Cory Frye

As summer simmers ever-so gently into autumn and this Hawaiian septet delivers a light tropical breeze through willing speakers (wait for dusk; the effect is awesome), even listeners garbed in season-appropriate attire might find themselves spectacularly underdressed. Adventures in Paradise is a smart and swank affair, the kind that usually hums between the walls of an air-conditioned nightclub.

Released to commemorate the islands' 50th anniversary as a U.S. state, Paradise effectively marries the cool melodies of 1959 jazz with a contemporary tang that acknowledges the iconic influence (Les Baxter and Martin Denny are among the tunesmiths lovingly acknowledged here) of predecessors while constructing equally timeless originals in a similar spirit.

That aspect's also present in the band's own DNA. Bassist and bandleader Randy Wong grew up around Martin Denny through his family's friendship with Denny's vibraphonist, Arthur Lyman. Waitiki percussionist Lopaka Colon's connection runs even deeper: he's the son of the legendary Augie Colon, whose slaps and trademark bird calls augmented many a Denny groove. Lopaka inherited his father's prodigious talents, weaving a steady thread through Paradise with his own percussive pats and impressive whoops and cries, the latter of which add a remarkable third dimension to an already exotic instrumental dialogue.

And what a conversation. Listen to how Tim Mayer and Mike Dease interact via soprano sax and trombone, respectively, on "Totem Pole." They melt into each other, complete each other's thoughts, and maintain a compelling flow over the distant perpetual cool of Jim Benoit's vibes, which, like Colon's calls, dab the canvas with an extra splash of color (can't imagine "Manila" without those drops) and smooth the edges of Zaccai Curtis' often-chomping piano ("Left Arm of Buddha"). Benoit and Curtis collaborate to a different end on "Her Majesty's Pearl," painting wondrous landscapes over the hushed rush of foamy falls and a lovely interlude from violinist Helen Liu, whose subsequent slide between Benoit's vibe dots and Wong's bass jaunt sets up a most astonishing personal showcase on "L'ours Chinois," where she memorably flaunts her stuff.

As if the music wasn't enough, The Waitiki 7 remain devoted to making Adventures in Paradise as interactive an experience as possible. Within the booklet, the band thoughtfully includes some choice drink recipes guaranteed to refresh just as effectively as tracks 1-13. "Shake like hell with ice cubes," advises one. Consider it done. Heck, you don't need liquor or even a glass for that. (www.waitiki7.com)

Author rating: 7/10
Rate this album
Average reader rating: 8/10

[ This Message was edited by: the mayor of exotica 2009-09-09 14:26 ]

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 09:11 am   Permalink

Tim,
How do you live in Boston AND Hawaii??? There's a 'Yo Mama So Fat' joke in there somewhere.

Congrats on all the good press your album is getting. All the guys on alt.binaries.jazz.mp3 were saying good things about it too.

Kidding!
Way to go, guys. Can't wait to hear it live.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
koopkooper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 7:02 pm   Permalink

love the album...truly is great....this week on the Cocktail Nation I interview Randy Wong about the new release. You can catch it sometime saturday in the US.

Kooper

View Profile of koopkooper Send a personal message to koopkooper  Email koopkooper Goto the website of koopkooper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 11:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-27 19:02, koopkooper wrote:
love the album...truly is great....this week on the Cocktail Nation I interview Randy Wong about the new release. You can catch it sometime saturday in the US.

Kooper

Thanks Koop for the interview-- it was nice to talk to you again!

Also, another review just rolled in:

Quote:

Those who imagine the music made famous by Martin Denny and others has grown fallow or inert will think differently after sitting back and listening.

This time from
Audiophile Audition. Check it out: http://www.audaud.com/article?ArticleID=6311

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 07:27 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-08-27 23:15, professahhummingflowah wrote:
Quote:

Also, another review just rolled in:

This time from Audiophile Audition. Check it out: http://www.audaud.com/article?ArticleID=6311

This is the best review yet!!

This is the second review though that credits "Left Arm of Buddha" to Martin Denny. It was actually written by Les Baxter.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2009-08-28 07:28 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 3:24 pm   Permalink

Dear professahhummingflowah -

You know last week here in Southern Crappyfornia the weather was triple digit degrees in temperature...what the media has titled the "Station Fire" charred thousands of acres of Los Angeles hillsides and continues to do so today - which in turn creates the most God awful smelling smoke and air quality. My job's dead ahead - Thank God for a job at all but I'm a prisoner of the job, if you know what I mean. All in all another week of sheer HADES!

I arrive home last Friday evening pretty exhausted and basically gasping for precious breath and smelling of forest-fire smoke. I make my usual stop at the mailbox down the street and guess what? MY COPY OF WAITIKI 7 ADVENTURES IN PARADISE ARRIVED!!

At that precise moment I notice my racing heartbeat so what was I to do?

Hastily run home. Turn on the air-conditioning, change into comfy clothing and turn-off the phone. Prepare a day-long anticipated Mai Tai in my favorite tiki mug. Grab my favorite chair, place over my ears my favorite pair of stereo headphones, then quietly slip the CD into the stereo and listen. Listen is so mild a word to express this new listening experience. Its like when I was a kid in the 60s anticipating the latest British rock LP release. From the first second in - I WAS OFF, MAN!

I can't begin to describe the joy, the sheer power, the brilliant musicianship of all of WAITIKI 7. The pacing of this release is superb...a mind-blowing poly-pop psychedelic trip. I mean that in a good way, not in the hippy-dippy use of the P word. Waitiki and especially this new Waitiki 7 release is a sonic psychedelic experience, no sugar cubes necessary That's a major compliment professah. I got lost within the music. I forgot my So.Cal crap existence. Because of the music, my mind, my body, my soul was literally IN PARADISE!

The CD eventually ended so what was I to do? I listened to it again..

I know I'm going to hear & experience new things and emotions every time I spin this release. I still do that with the prior two releases of Waitiki to this day and I've listened to them extensively. These releases are what I listen to when I paint for relaxation.

God Bless you Waitiki 7 for the gift of prana (life force) I experience when I listen to your music.

Congratulations!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 9:41 pm   Permalink

Check out this quarter's JAZZIZ (Winter 2010, print edition) for a nice write-up of The WAITIKI 7. Really nice article.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation