FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 5:02 pm   Permalink

this is on the block soon, too.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2009-07-27 17:02 ]

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 7:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-27 16:49, pdrake wrote:
well, i think i'm done futzing with this guy. what does everyone think?

He looks great to me. What's it intended for, pendant, valve stems, something other?

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 8:54 pm   Permalink

oop, sorry, it's going to be a pendant. bronze and silver. maybe resin if there's any interest.

this is the back.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-28 8:59 pm   Permalink

Resin would be cool!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-28 9:10 pm   Permalink

Valve Stem Caps

Mark the Marq is lookin' damned handsome!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 11:36 pm   Permalink

thanks, i never thought of valve stem caps. hmmm. . . .

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 10:20 pm   Permalink

here's a new sculpt i worked on tonight. it's not the most tiki thing, but it has a bit of significance in maori culture.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 10:29 pm   Permalink

here's the brady cave piece. he looked so lonely there at the entrance. people only give props to the cursed tiki and hugo, so i thought this guy could use some love. it looks like fern wood, so that's the finish he'll have.

he'll be bronze and silver . . .

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 6:53 pm   Permalink

here's the lonely guy all textured up and the start of another sculpt. i'm not sure why, but my camera wouldn't focus on the clay.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-05 7:04 pm   Permalink

That's what you need, a barrel full of 18K gold monkeys!

Lookin' good Perry

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 11:02 pm   Permalink

thanks, mike. the monkey is going to be a big project.

i considered for a few nanoseconds just putting a real one in a mold, but decided to just sculpt my own.

i'm just going to go ahead and tell people here (seems ideas are in short supply in these parts lately.) that these will be one offs of most desings. the monkey will be made as a wax master and then sculpted to make an original monkey. yes, it's similar to what munktiki did with the coconut monkey mugs, but i think it's original enough pass snuff.

there's also this guy sittin' in rubber goo right now. he'll be available in bronze and silver.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 11:07 pm   Permalink

well, i'm not going to produce anything that no one shows any interest in.

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 11:51 pm   Permalink

Good answer, Vincent.

Funny you did the monkey cuz I was thinking of writing you...

Some years back my mom and a friend of her's got into casting silver jewelry. They mostly used pre-made commercial wax pieces but I had an idea...

My good friend Max had a thing for monkeys (way before the current monkeys-are-everywhere trend) and I wondered if a Barrel of Monkeys monkey could be cast in silver.

Turns out it can.

It came out brilliantly and Max tied it to a chord (no finding had been cast into the piece) and disco danced his way across LA until a hot gal and good money nailed him down into a Beachwood Drive house with a vacation home in Palm Springs.

Also the dumbass somehow happened to lose the monkey one day. Right off his friggin neck.

I thought about suggesting to you that maybe this would be the sorta thing you could crap out like so many of us hacks and make a few bucks between actual artsy fartsy pieces.

But then you went and sculpted yer own.

The leaf is neat, the curve of it's outline and stem are excellent. (People have no idea how important a confidence of line is.) Still, I think it can be moved towards a really swell piece and not particularly with excessive overworking. the weight of the body of the leaf and the "notches" on the leaf don't have the same flow as the leaf's edge and stem. The notches are making it static (or worse: typical), the weight is making it just sit there. At least in this photo.

This I like quite a bit ad I'm kinda surprised I do. It's simplistic and in some ways similar to a few dozen other trinkets we've seen around here but the weight is good and balance...Well, it's the balance that catches and holds the eye. In bronze it would seem like a piece from the golden age of Tiki.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 06:58 am   Permalink

Very cool Monkey pdrake!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 01:37 am   Permalink

Just astounding attention to detail, variety, craftsmanship, multiple materials, carvings, sculpts, WOW!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation