FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
new work on an old guy . . . last page . .
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 09:51 am   Permalink

I like the Monkey too!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 7:47 pm   Permalink

thanks, woof, sneaky, sam and tom.

i think i was having a crappy day and bummed i couldn't go to oasis.

i didn't have a mold form big enough for the monkey, so i had to take him to a professional jeweler to have it made. should get it back tomorrow or tuesday (they're closed sunday and monday).

here's the first mold of the cave tiki. i had to remold it since this mold didn't work too well on the back.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 8:16 pm   Permalink

I own a barrel o' monkeys sterling silver necklace that I bought from Perpetual Kid a long while ago and they used the game piece and cast from that.

If it had been hand sculpted I think the detail would of been a little more crisp because on the game pieces the detail is kind of hit or miss.

Smart to carve your own...you can tell the overall piece will be full of detail and I look forward to seeing the face.

I like the Tiki too but if you are making it into a charm are you also adding a loop at the top?

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-08-14 20:18 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 8:21 pm   Permalink

i sculpted the monkey myself. it will have different types of faces as i left the face blank when i sculpted it. each wax master will have it's face sculpted before casting. i don't have the game piece so i'm not sure if it's bigger, i think it may be. using a game piece is a little cheap if you ask me. it's something i've had sketched out for a couple of years.

the new mold of the tiki will have the hole in the top. the bad one in the picture filled in. there will be a jump ring in it and i'll probably offer it as a complete necklace with a leather cord also.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 9:04 pm   Permalink

this is the newest sculpt . . .

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 11:24 pm   Permalink

"using a game piece is a little cheap if you ask me."

You callin' my mom cheap?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 11:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-14 23:24, woofmutt wrote:
"using a game piece is a little cheap if you ask me."

You callin' my mom cheap?

at the time it was quite expensive for me.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 1:18 pm   Permalink

little more progress on this guy. should go into a mold tonight.

trying to figure out how to give it the proper texture. any suggestions?

mahalo!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 6:21 pm   Permalink

final cave tiki wax piece:

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 9:07 pm   Permalink

bueller . . . ? ? ?

darn, consigned to the bilge again . . . .

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-18 5:55 pm   Permalink

Perry, the Sufferin' Bastard decanters look like a stone type finish- maybe texture by pressing a piece of sandpaper. Both sculpts look good, very clean. I just realized that one of the advantages of lost wax casting is that you don't have to worry about undercuts

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 8:53 pm   Permalink

yeah, you don't have to worry about them too much . . . until cleanup. investment is one of the hardest materials to remove from metal.

here's the semi-final bastard. just need to finish up the back and put a hole somewhere. probably sideways through the head or hidden on the back. i don't really want to solder jump rings onto it.

this gives some scale . . .

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2009-08-19 20:57 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-19 9:33 pm   Permalink

Very nice, what did you end up using for texture? Smaller than I imagined, nicely detailed for that size.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 9:35 pm   Permalink

army of cave tikis . . .

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 9:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-19 21:33, MadDogMike wrote:
Very nice, what did you end up using for texture? Smaller than I imagined, nicely detailed for that size.

ancient chinese secret . . .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation