FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Outrigger Inn & Mr. C's, Long Beach, CA (hotel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Outrigger Inn & Mr. C's, Long Beach, CA (hotel)
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 4:52 pm   Permalink

Name:Outrigger Inn
Type:hotel
Street:5325 & 5305 E Pacific Coast Highway
City:Long Beach
State:CA
Zip:90804
Phone:434-8421

Description:
The Outrigger Inn was a motor hotel located along PCH in Long Beach. It is now a Guest House International Hotel.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy - Adding Mr. C's to the location. - 2010-11-05 14:15 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 4:53 pm   Permalink

There was an old thread from 2003 in General Tiki about the Outrigger Inn, but most of the photo links were dead.

I picked up a post card from the Outrigger Inn recently.

Here's the matchbook.

Kenike posted this brochure back in 2006.

Quote:

On 2006-08-06 13:17, Kenike wrote:
I just received a brochure from the Outrigger Inn as a gift. I'm not sure if this is the same brochure Sabu posted 3 years ago (those pics are no longer available) but figured I'd share anyway.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 4:58 pm   Permalink

Another one were a good full frontal photo of the sign would mean fulfillment!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 5:02 pm   Permalink

I'm doing the best that I can, Sven.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 3:58 pm   Permalink

Nice post Tiki Kate. I had been meaning to put this one together as well.

One of the top ten Tiki Motel signs of all times. Here is a blow-up of the sign that is for sale on ebay.

I also have a different postcard from the Outrigger. This one is a bit newer as the trees and landscaping are all much bigger than the first one. Looks like they installed green astro-turf by the pool.

Here is the matchbook posted by Bay Park Buzzy from Mr. C's restaurant that was located on-site.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 10:06 am   Permalink

Here's one for Kate, found by Nichols:

"A hostess in a dark uniform with Peter Pan collar is seated at a wooden reception podium that bears a sign that reads "Hawaii, Madame Pele, Goddess of Volcanoes," at the entrance to an elaborately decorated Tiki/Polynesian themed restaurant, "Mr. C's," owned by Long Beach City Councilman Robert Crow. Palapa style thatched hut decor on the right displays a sign with a photo of Mr. Crow wearing a suit and bowler hat, that reads "Mr. C. Welcomes the Queen Mary." Mr. Crow served on the Long Beach City Council from 1960-1968 and owned a sequence of restaurants. He was also a major advocate for acquisition of the ship, HMS Queen Mary, for use as a tourist attraction. He died in 1994."

What that sign on the hostess desk is actually referring to is that statue BEHIND the desk, which was carved by Guy Wilson for Oceanic Arts:

Oceanic Arts had one standing around for the longest time, until Jeff Berry bought it. Who here has that blue menu cover depicting it?
I could not find a Thread for Mr.C's specifically, maybe someone could start one. I would love to see some interiors, details like those modernist pole embellishments behind the desk are wonderful Tiki Modern examples.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-05 2:10 pm   Permalink

Ah! Bigbro, you trumped me on that Mr. C's lobby shot! I was holding it in reserve. You can order copies of that photo from the Long Beach main library, and when I get mine, I'll see if I can post some close-ups.

However, your post is much better than mine would have been, by including that wonderful shot of Guy Wilson carving the Pele statue. I've never seen that before. (I think I see some Classical Greek influences there, don't you? Maybe a little bit of the Spartan mixed in with the Hawaiian?)

I do have some more info on Mr C's. The restaurant and the adjacent Outrigger Inn appear to have both been built in 1962, with the Outrigger Inn being worked on first:

"MR. C'S ...Dancing nightly to Eddie Bush and his Polynesian Revue in the Ming Room, with novelty entertainment. Fashion shows at Wednesday luncheons. Special Banquet and party rooms. Dress shop.

Mr. C is Vice-mayor Robert Crow. He and his wife, Helen, devoted years to planning their beautiful restaurant which is one of the Long Beach area's tourist attractions. Its many rooms, all originals, cobmine the cultures as well as the decors of the entire Pacific, from the island chains to China and Japan. Among distinguished touches are bubbling pools, statuary (including a huge wooden carving of Pele, the fire goddess), bridges, outrigger canoes and authentic island artifacts. The American luncheons are from $1.45; Cantonese luncheons from $1.75. The Cantonese dinners are from $3.50 to $5.75. One o fthe most popular feasts is the Dinner of the August Moon, created by the chef for those who savor dining variety. Also served are tropical appetizers and beverages and superb American dinners priced from $3.25, including chicken cordon bleu, steak and lobster combination, Japanese teriyaki steak with Kyoto sauce and steak bali hi a la garni."

I think we can probably keep the Outrigger Inn and Mr C's in the same topic, as they were both part of the same complex owned by Robert Crow. I'll update the heading of this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-11-05 14:14 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 3:16 pm   Permalink

Los Angeles Times: 3.8 earthquake jolts Long Beach

The quake appears to have been centered around the intersection of Pacific Coast Highway and Anaheim Street in Long Beach, CA.

That is a few blocks from where Mr. C's was located.

Some sort of cosmic/karmic/supernatural message?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-03 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-05 14:10, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I think we can probably keep the Outrigger Inn and Mr C's in the same topic, as they were both part of the same complex owned by Robert Crow. I'll update the heading of this thread.

Sabu,

I think that is the right call, the two go hand-in-hand and should be kept together. I picked up a drink menu from Mr. C's that features photos of the drinks they served.

Here is the menu cover with the appetizer list. The note on the top left corner indicates that the menu was "appropriated" on June 29, 1964.

Here is the back of the menu with the Scorpion Bowl.

The inside of the menu - it is a big menu so the scan is not that clear. There are some clever drink descriptions.

Close up of a few drinks.

Now this is cool - the flaming Paradise of the Pacific bowl was served by a Mystery Girl on special occasions - does that ring a bell?

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-01-08 06:28 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-08 08:03 am   Permalink

A great addition to your collection DC. Here is an ashtray pic I dug up on the web.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 4:27 pm   Permalink

That is a great entry photo Sven, sorry I missed it earlier! Neat stuff Sabu and DC!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-02 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-05 10:06, bigbrotiki wrote:What that sign on the hostess desk is actually referring to is that statue BEHIND the desk, which was carved by Guy Wilson for Oceanic Arts:

Oceanic Arts had one standing around for the longest time, until Jeff Berry bought it. Who here has that blue menu cover depicting it?

Bigbro,

I saw that blue menu on ebay with image of the Pele Tiki.

Do you know the origins of this Tiki design? Closest I could think of was this guy who was at the Ulu Mau village in Hawaii.

And what's the story behind the glowing rock he is holding on the menu?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-02 3:53 pm   Permalink

A glowing stone you say? How about a flaming Tridacna shell scorpion bowl ?

Wehell, I am glad you asked!

I see the evolution of above statue like this: From the ancient Hawaiian's chiefly feather helmets...

...to the feather godheads:

...to this Tapa image:

...and stylized carvings:

..which really had nothing to do with Pele per se. I think any American Tiki that came with a large bosom was prone to be named Pele.

And here as a bonus, a very young Jeff Berry in the mid-90s, rightfully proud that he took this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and was able to cough up the moolah to obtain this beauty from Oceanic Arts:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-03 5:26 pm   Permalink

Bigbro, FAN-tastic photo! Does Jeff still own that beauty?

I saw this image from the Hawaiian Sculpture book that looks a lot like Mr. C's Pele carving.

Page 75

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-04 08:00 am   Permalink

Yes, Jeff and her are a couple for life. Excellent catch on that statue, that one with its beard and hand position is the closest match for sure.

I had jumped to respond to your question to quickly, and have to apologize for shoddy research:

A.) The carving on the left is indeed associated with the name Pele!:

..as this is what it says in the Hawaiian Carvings book:

(but they are not convinced of it depicting a female either)

B.) The Bum's version has an entirely more unique heritage, here it is in his own words:

"I bought that Pele from a sculptor who carved it for OA, but somehow he ended up with it again in his garage. His Pomona studio just happened to be next door to the "ancient art mart" location for "Secret of Easter Island" that I was dressing with tikis I'd rented from OA. The guy wandered in, saw them and started pointing at one, then another. "Hey, I carved that. I carved that one too." He told me he used to work for Bob and Leroy, and that he had a couple of tikis in his garage. He brought in the Pele the next day, and I figured what the hell, I can't afford it BUT I can write off the cost as set decoration -- which it was! You can see her clearly in the art gallery scene of the film.

She and I have been together ever since...."

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation