FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Latitude 20, Torrance, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Latitude 20, Torrance, CA (restaurant)
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 5:59 pm   Permalink

Name:Latitude 20
Type:restaurant
Street:3901 Pacific Coast Highway
City:Torrance
State:CA
Zip:90505
Phone:(213) 378-8358

Description:
I know that Latitude 20 used to be the Polynesian. I know that it was a Hop Louie restaurant. And I know that Sabu and Doctor Z give it a little salute whenever they drive past the location.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 5:59 pm   Permalink

The Polynesian has its own Locating thread, but I thought that Latitude 20 deserved a thread of its own also.

I have a couple of matchbooks.

Dustycajun recently put together a post for the mugs.

Quote:

On 2009-04-16 10:10, Dustycajun wrote:

Here are some of the mugs from Latitude 20 from Tikicleen's and Tiki-Kate's collection on Ooga Mooga.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-10 7:16 pm   Permalink

Just found this small May 1968 ad for Arthur Lyman at Hop Louie's Latitude 20

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 2:32 pm   Permalink

I found these newspaper clippings in a Ernie Menehune album I purchased a couple of weeks ago. The articles mention Ernie playing at Hop Louie's Latitude 20 and there is a mention about Martin Denny closing the show Sunday night.

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 8:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's a great find!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 12:18 am   Permalink

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 5:04 pm   Permalink

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 6:14 pm   Permalink

Liz,

Great score! That menu is huge!! Not much paper from this place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 6:47 pm   Permalink

Nice, Liz!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

So I have already been emailing with Sven but Dusty I bought this and a 70s Bahooka menu from a seller on Etsy.

She used to work as a bartender and then a cook at Latitude 20 . She also designed and printed the posters and flyers that were used to advertise the bands and events going on at the restaurant.

She lives in the Mojave Desert and is terminally ill...selling off collectibles to pay bills and to live (literally) off of until she dies.

She knows she has more paper from this and from Bahooka and is trying to dig it up for me to buy.

Also I may go visit her when I come to LA in February to see if I can help her sell stuff/go through a storage unit.

Anyways I will let you know what else she has.
I know Sven and Doctor Z and Sabu are interested also.

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2014-01-28 18:51 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-03 2:54 pm   Permalink

More to share:

Brunch/lunch menu--a little larger and a thicker paper than the last menu I posted. This menu has no drinks listed in it. As I understand it those were on drink cards found on the tabletops as well in separate drink menu.

These oversized cardboard signs were on display at the bar letting you know you got free wine with dinner.

On the back the bartenders manually wrote in basic prices of the most commonly ordered drinks so they knew without looking through the menu what things costs.

Sample of the insert created to announce "specials" that would fold in half and slip into the menus
Written on the front is "Rough Sample". It is not known if this was ever produced and used with the menus.

This is what it would look like when closed. A smaller version of the larger menu it was slid into:

This is what it looked like open. It displayed the specials and their prices:

And here is what it looked like when laid flat:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-31 7:42 pm   Permalink

Check out this ad that OC Chris posted on his blog.

Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman together again at Latitude 20 circa 1977.

Looks like Charlee Fong took over after Hop Louie.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-31 8:11 pm   Permalink

If only there were bootlegs of exotica shows...

Kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-31 20:11, heylownine wrote:
If only there were bootlegs of exotica shows...

Kevin

Kevin,

Bootlegs? Are you a closet Dead Head Tikiphile?

You can find a few bootlegs on YouTube, here is one with Arthur Lyman performing Taboo in Seattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzLd_ycwYs0

DC

DC

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 11:25 am   Permalink

I'm a deadhead tikiphile & those are some great images!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation