FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Moai Masks- Whatcha think?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Moai Masks- Whatcha think?
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-03 2:35 pm   Permalink

I call tham "Island Moai". Loosely based on the Easter Island Moai.

I'm anxious for feedback, since I want to market them on a very limited basis.

They're 13.5 inches tall, 10.5 inches front to back, 8.5 inches wide, and 1/8th inch thick cast latex rubber, and professionally finished in a very stone-like texture. They can be either worn, or stuffed and displayed. (Indoors is best, since rubber doesn't hold up well outdoors.)

Please post here, or message me with your comments.

Kewlava- (aka Kelly)

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 3:11 pm   Permalink

I think it's cool and a great idea... Tiki freaks need Halloween masks too, so you're fulfilling a kind of consumer demand here. Very nice! One thing I'd do is make the ears much longer like the Easter Island heads....

www.samgambino.com

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-06-03 15:13 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 3:15 pm   Permalink

make the head longer as well with a narrower forhead if possible.

otherwise I get a Frankenstein vibe from it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 3:38 pm   Permalink

I see as much a man as a moai and as a mask, it looks very scary. Just its blank eye sockets alone are scary. Much good photoshops could be devized

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 3:53 pm   Permalink

I agree with monkey....stretch out the mouth into a bit more of a frown...and maybe build out the ears to match the form of a moai more and you will loose the rock covered Frankenstein feel. Was this mask at Monsterpolloza this past weekend?

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks gang!
I would have liked it to have had a tall, slimmer head too, but that wouldn't fit a human very well. It would also not be as affordable.
I agree, that it needs longer ears (for some reason I overlooked that). Maybe I'll make the mouth more pronounced too.
I have more designs planned. Wooden Tiki styles too.

Opinions?

Kewlava

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:11 pm   Permalink

Ya know...it kinda looks like my ex boyfriend

I agree with the ears and perhaps more of an elongated head--as best you can maybe you could play around with some more.

I think you are heading in the right direction and what you have is very well done.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-03 14:35, Kewlava wrote:

I'm anxious for feedback, since I want to market them on a very limited basis.

Shouldn't this be in the Punk Thread? It looks like Henry Rollins.

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 8:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-03 14:35, Kewlava wrote:

......or loosely based on my luau lantern design....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-04 08:00 am   Permalink

Cool lantern Tipsy!

After considering this mask, I've decidid the Easter Island Moai has been done a lot, so I think I'll go with a tiki style that will lend itsself better to being a mask. That way I won't need to compromize the design just so it fits on a human head.

Kelly

tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:46 am   Permalink

I agree - longer ears.

I's also like to see another angle or two before saying more.

They look basically like a fairly normal head that has been pushed in the Moai direction, rather than a more deliberately Moai head. Nothing wrong with that - perfectly valid approach, but that's how I'd describe what I see.

View Profile of tiki moon Send a personal message to tiki moon  Goto the website of tiki moon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 10:00 am   Permalink

Henry Rollins finally carved in stone

I like it.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 11:00 am   Permalink

I was thinking Brock Lesner!! LOL

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:08 pm   Permalink

Okay, I get the idea!
Stylization isn't what you're looking for. I'm working on some new designs that are
archaeologically correct. Stay tuned!

Kelly

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-04 08:00, Kewlava wrote:

After considering this mask, I've decidid the Easter Island Moai has been done a lot, so I think I'll go with a tiki style that will lend itsself better to being a mask.

...a wise move indeed.....lookin forward to it.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation