FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Billingsley's Outrigger, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Billingsley's Outrigger, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 11:09 am   Permalink

Name:Billingsley's Outrigger
Type:restaurant
Street:1465 South Coast Boulevard
City:Laguna Beach
State:CA
Zip:92651
Phone:(714) 494-6574

Description:
Billingley's Outrigger in Laguna Beach was located in the Surf and Sand Hotel. While the restaurant has been replaced, the Surf and Sand stills stands at 1555 South Coast Highway.

Research shows that Glenn Billingsley's first restaurant opened in Los Angeles in 1946 and was called The Golden Bull. At one point Glenn had seven Golden Bull restaurants, three Outriggers and the catering business for Continental Airlines according to the article I read. The original Billingsley's is still open in LA.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 11:10 am   Permalink

Here's my Billingsley's Outrigger menu. Unfortunately, it's too large for my scanner.

This is a souvenir menu from Arkiva Tropika.

Three different matchbooks.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 11:18 am   Permalink

WOW!! Tiki-Kate you are fire. Great collection and great research.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 12:15 pm   Permalink

Nice post Kate.Always wondered what their menu looked like.Great find Kate!
I have an ashtray and matches , but not that rare menu.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 12:32 pm   Permalink

Yeah that blue one is a killer!
You can also find the first, abstract modern one on page 301 of Tiki Modern. Note that the "name inside the outrigger graphic" is taken from the sign on the building, BOT page 170. The menu illustrations (p.171) are taken from both, the classic Trader Vic's, and the Don The Beachcomber menus.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 09:49 am   Permalink

Wow Kate, I'm having a hard time keeping up with your new posts!

Great Outrigger menus. Been trying to find one of those for years.

I have a postcard showing the outside of the Surf and Sand Hotel and the Outrigger Restaurant.

Here is a close-up of that great Outrigger sign.

This is another postcard that shows the interior and exterior of the restaurant.

Here is yet another style matchbook I have that shows the older style logo for the restaurant.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:05 pm   Permalink

A while back someone posted a photo of the building today, and of course it was completely stripped of all lava rock and Bamboo. But the key building elements were still there, proving how "cosmetic" a lot these features were.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:50 pm   Permalink

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:52 pm   Permalink

Trav,

Damn that is a sad sight.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 12:59 pm   Permalink

Sad indeed Dusty. From beautiful style to bland crap. That image is from google street views. I may be out of work at the moment but I can still pilot the Tiki Satellite from mission control here in Kazoo.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-04 11:09, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Research shows that Glenn Billingsley's first restaurant opened in Los Angeles in 1946 and was called The Golden Bull. At one point Glenn had seven Golden Bull restaurants, three Outriggers and the catering business for Continental Airlines according to the article I read. The original Billingsley's is still open in LA.

Glenn Billingsley had another restaurant in Hollywood - probably in the pre-tiki poly pop era - called the Cafe Tropics. Spotted this matchbook on ebay, that's how I know.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 6:18 pm   Permalink

Here is an ashtray from the Outrigger from Critiki.

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 5:56 pm   Permalink

I found this matchbook showing, or at least narrowing down, the location of another Billingley's Outrigger restaurant. It also mentions that the Jamaica Inn was Polynesian.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 10:57 pm   Permalink

Here is a fun illustrated postcard from Billingsley's original Cafe Tropics in Hollywood I saw on ebay. Really shows that he started by following the early pre-Tiki lead from Don, Vic and Suggie and kept going later with the Outrigger restaurants.

Some great lines on this one!

DC

kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 6:17 pm   Permalink

I found out about the Billingsley's Outrigger the other day while reading through Remixed. All I can say is wow. I drive by the Surf and Sand every day, and had NO idea of how good it looked in it's former life. I guess Laguna's still got the Royal Hawaiian...kind of. :/

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation