FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Far East Imperial, Pompano Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Far East Imperial, Pompano Beach, FL (restaurant)
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 5:09 pm   Permalink

Great find, DC! I love the juxtaposition of the modern ceiling design with the iconic Tikis, the high contrast floor and the sweeping, almost piano key-like bar. And good to see how the second floor balcony fit in with the space. What a beautiful photograph. My God, what a place! Time machine, let's go!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 6:29 pm   Permalink

That floor is great! I want to do that. So much mortar is fantastic.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-07 7:47 pm   Permalink

I too love this image from The Book of Tiki. I always wondered about the threesome sitting near the closest tiki and what they could be talking about. There is only one couple looking directly at the camera. I thought it might be the photographer with a long remote hooked to a gigantic Graphlex view camera. What a great place this must have been!

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vandamnation

Posted: 2011-09-12 10:54 pm   Permalink

The Imperial house had the BEST spareribs and Meatballs, back in 2006 George Harris was working in an Olive GArden in Ormond beach Florida on A1a as we saw him there, he said that he gave the business to his son, and his son lost it to a gambling debt and closed it down, i have been trying to get the recipe for the sauce used to make the ribs and meatballs as it was incredible, i think if 1 opened back up it would be a goldmine

View Profile of vandamnation Send a personal message to vandamnation  Email vandamnation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
richopp

Posted: 2011-09-28 12:33 pm   Permalink

Van,

I did not know that was the reason it closed down. How sad! It was my favorite place for many, many years here. And, you are correct. The ribs were better than any Asian-style ones I have ever had or will ever have, I believe. The rest of the dishes were also excellent, and tell me when the last time you had the opportunity to eat ambrosia was, much less actually had any!

I have fond memories of sitting at the table for 30 minutes because we could not stand after so many trips to the food line! We used to put the top down on the car and drive down from Boca on A1A and just enjoy the entire evening, being stuffed and all. Of course, we were in our 20's in those days (early '70's) and two hours later we would be on the dance floor somewhere having even more fun.

I would love to open the same place again, but as everyone knows, you can't go backward, so we all must live with our very fond memories of a truly special place.

Cheers!

Rich

View Profile of richopp Send a personal message to richopp  Email richopp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-22 4:50 pm   Permalink

I picked up one of the matchbooks so I got a better scan,

The back of the matchbook lists the different rooms in the restaurant.

Not sure about the "Kirby Grill"?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
maliakanae

Posted: 2013-02-23 9:05 pm   Permalink

Biggie Kanae is my grandfather. Unfortunately, he passed away before I was born so I never got the opportunity to get to know him. Slowly, I have been able to find out a little more about him through sites such as this. It's amazing the legacy he left behind! Within the next few weeks, I hope to purchase or find a record player and finally hear my grandfather's voice for the first time. From what I hear from my dad, he was pretty amazing!

View Profile of maliakanae Send a personal message to maliakanae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marylour

Posted: 2013-04-25 1:42 pm   Permalink

My parents always talked about going to Harris Imperial House on the weekends and hearing Biggie Kanae sing. He gave them an autographed album which I think my Mom still has somewhere! I'm sure listening to his album as a child must have started my interest in Hawaiian music. Did anyone else in the family go into music?

View Profile of marylour Send a personal message to marylour      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 09:38 am   Permalink

Picked up another postcard variation from the Far East Imperial. This one shows the bustling dinning room with the red-shirted oriental waiters.

That front table looks like the same men from the bar postcard.

Back of the card.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation