FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151 question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151 question
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-11 1:50 pm   Permalink

dang, i used to buy it in Pinellas County, they're out and list it it as discontinued...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-11 1:58 pm   Permalink

I don't think it is discontinued currently. A store near me just restocked on it last week. Last I heard the company who bought it out was going to keep it available.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-11 2:33 pm   Permalink

well, the "old version" that Ace Explorer referenced is indeed discontinued and no longer made or distributed by Pernod. there are tons of threads around here re the new producer and the new red-label version. which did you see in SD?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-11 8:50 pm   Permalink

And the sad fact is that the new 151 is just not the same than the old - it's better than having NUTHIN, as is the case with the regular Lemonhart Demerara, which I personally miss the most.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 08:43 am   Permalink

I still have most of my hoard.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-12 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-11 13:58, lunavideogames wrote:
A store near me just restocked on it last week.

Which store is this?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-14 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-11 20:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
And the sad fact is that the new 151 is just not the same than the old - it's better than having NUTHIN, as is the case with the regular Lemonhart Demerara, which I personally miss the most.

Sven, what a tragedy, am I to understand that with a change in ownership came a change in formulation/flavor? Oh well... I think the yellow label lasted just under two years - I recall just two years ago at Hukilau 2011 that I learned the "good" Lemon Hart Demerara 151 was coming back. Thanks to TikiHardBop, I just ordered from drinkupny.com, and the "new" stuff will be better than nothing. I have just about 2 ounces left of the yellow label and I'll definitely be comparing old and new when it comes in. Then I'll try to remember the "old" and move on... Part of being into tiki culture includes knowing how to "survive" through various changes. This is just one more change. But at least I got to enjoy some of the yellow label. Chances are slim to none that the current manufacturer would bump up the rum to what the old was like. So if the rum did change, then this is what we get for the foreseeable future.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-14 10:13, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-08-11 20:50, bigbrotiki wrote:

Sven, what a tragedy, am I to understand that with a change in ownership came a change in formulation/flavor? Oh well... I think the yellow label lasted just under two years - I recall just two years ago at Hukilau 2011 that I learned the "good" Lemon Hart Demerara 151 was coming back. Thanks to TikiHardBop, I just ordered from drinkupny.com, and the "new" stuff will be better than nothing. I have just about 2 ounces left of the yellow label and I'll definitely be comparing old and new when it comes in. Then I'll try to remember the "old" and move on... Part of being into tiki culture includes knowing how to "survive" through various changes. This is just one more change. But at least I got to enjoy some of the yellow label. Chances are slim to none that the current manufacturer would bump up the rum to what the old was like. So if the rum did change, then this is what we get for the foreseeable future.

Please post your comparison here. I have 2 bottles left of my old stock. It would have lasted much longer, but some of my new favorite recipes call for more LH 151. My 12 bottles is down to 2 and a half. If the new stuff is not to compare, I may change my drinking strategy...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 11:03 am   Permalink

BTW, Ed took his new stuff to Martin Cate at SC and they shot video of the tasting as they compared old and new:

Old Lemon Hart 151 vs new Lemon Hart 151

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-14 2:34 pm   Permalink

I think it's fair to say there is a difference in the 2 formulations, but it's pretty small. To me, it's most apparent in that the aroma of the new Lemon Hart 151 is less smoky. I rarely sip LH 151 neat.

That being said, I don't know that I could tell the difference between a Jet Pilot made with old LH151 and a Jet Pilot made with new LH151 but I certainly can tell when I make a Jet Pilot with another 151 like Cruzan or Goslings.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-14 14:34, heylownine wrote:
That being said, I don't know that I could tell the difference between a Jet Pilot made with old LH151 and a Jet Pilot made with new LH151

You can't.

And I haven't really noticed a difference in any other cocktails.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 07:02 am   Permalink

I haven't compared the two versions side by side -- I have one unopened bottle of the old LH 151 that I'm saving -- but I do think the new stuff is very good. I think the fact that respected bars like the Mai Kai are using it is testament to its quality.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-16 06:36 am   Permalink

To the folks who have taste tested the new vs old LH151: did you take it straight, on the rocks, in a cocktail? Never been in the habit of trying it head-on myself. Do the same tasting rules apply for the hi-test hooch as well? Just wondering.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-16 10:21 am   Permalink

My "new" Lemon Hart order will be arriving on Monday next week. I'll try and compare it both straight-up and mixed 1:1 with clean, pure water. I'll post my thoughts here. I have to be very careful because I unknowingly drew down my "old" Lemon Hart to just about 2 ounces because I was intrigued with making Wasabi Sours for a couple of weeks. Still, it will be fun, regardless of the fact that I *will* run out of the old. I do have to decide what to do with the old bottle, though. Can I sell it on eBay and get rich? Probably not. And my tiki mug collection has already filled the space I have, so it's not like I want to add the bottle to my mug shelf. So many questions, so few answers. Obviously there's only one thing to do -- sit down and have a nice refreshing tropical cocktail!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-16 5:30 pm   Permalink

. . . or four . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation