FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151 question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151 question
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-07 1:21 pm   Permalink

Hey folks -- I just visited with Ed Ledger at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA and discovered he has at least six cases of the old label 151 and a few of the 80. So if you're in the SF area, you might want to pop over and grab a case or two. Huli pau!

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-07 1:34 pm   Permalink

That's a hot tip for anyone who can get there. I just called, they were very friendly, and they cannot ship to Florida... He said to "send a friend who can pick it up for you!"

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-15 2:04 pm   Permalink

Just got several bottles of Lemon Hart 151 & another old Red Label 80 Proof LH bottle from Potomac Wine & Spirits in Georgetown (Washington DC) He can ship if its legal in your State to do so. They "stock" LH 151, but call ahead they can order more quickly if sold out on the shelf. The old red label LH 80 is another matter.

It appears to me that Maryland liquor distributors are keeping LH out of the state. Have NOT been able to find anyone that stocks LH or is willing to order it in Maryland proper. Just Barcadi 151 or Gosling 151. Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 2:39 pm   Permalink

Thortiki

Drinkup New York I believe will ship to you

they have LH 151, that is where i order mine from

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primativa in Hi-Fi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-18 2:48 pm   Permalink

That's new label, right?

How is that doing? Anyone know? Selling okay? Accepted as the real thing?

I'm still working on the old stock...

View Profile of Primativa in Hi-Fi Send a personal message to Primativa in Hi-Fi  Email Primativa in Hi-Fi Goto the website of Primativa in Hi-Fi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 4:06 pm   Permalink

As far as I can tell, the new label stuff is selling well in FL.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 10:21 pm   Permalink

wish i could find any of it in florida...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 04:05 am   Permalink

It's at least in Miami. Check with this place, http://www.sunsetcorners.com/browse.cfm/lemon-hart-rum-151-750ml/4,7922.html (copy & paste the whole URL, for some reason it gets cut off at the comma) certainly they should be able to ship from Miami to Tampa.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-19 04:07 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 05:43 am   Permalink

Jokeiii THANKS for the heads up on Lemon Hart suppliers. If you look hard enough LH can be found. Heard some say that the taste difference between the old red label & new label LH 80 proof is not noticeable. Also the readily available El Dorado 80 proof (5 yr) is just as good as LH 80 proof. Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 10:27 pm   Permalink

I have the old label Lemon Hart 151, Lemon Hart 80, El Dorado 5 year, El Dorado 12 year (just finished the 15 year) and Bacardi Select (among many others) in stock so I did a comparison of the others to Lemon Hart 80. I diluted the Lemon Hart 151 to 80 proof to compare apples to apples. The diluted LH 151 tastes very similar to LH 80 although it has a more prevalent spicy smell. That will be my choice once my supply of LH 80 runs out. Surprisingly the Bacardi Select is a close substitute for LH 80, closer than the El Dorado 5 year but the LH 80 has a slightly wider flavor spectrum. The El Dorado 5 year tastes great but is not as close in flavor to LH 80 as the others. It is mellower but not sweet like the El Dorado 12 year which isn't even close to LH 80.

I would have never thought of Bacardi Select as a substitute for LH 80 but a few years ago "Registered Astronaut" posted on Tiki Central about the similarity and I agree:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24303&forum=10 .

Martiki (a.k.a. Martin Cate) pointed out that Bacardi Select isn't nearly the rum that LH 80 is but I maintain that in a cocktail with several modifiers you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference. He writes:

"Bacardi Select is a molasses-based rum that is column distilled to 190 proof so that it is virtually vodka, then aged (as it is required by PR law) for 1 year. It is, however aged in stainless steel which imparts no character. It is then heavily colored, possibly flavored, and very lightly sweetened. It takes very little sugar to smooth out any spirit.

So what you are tasting with Lemon Hart is rum, and what you are tasting with Bacardi is sweetened flavored vodka. If you prefer it on your palate and in your drinks, then it's simply your taste preference, which is of course fine and up to you, but know that they are not particularly comparable."

By the way, the Lemon Hart is artificially colored as well so you can't hold that against Bacardi Select and while El Dorado 5 year is a fine rum it isn't the closest substitute flavor wise. Don't take this the wrong way as I always use top shelf rums when I make drinks at home but now that LH 80 is impossible to find one must be prepared to compromise. If the Bacardi label causes too much embarrassment one could fill an old LH 80 bottle but you are better off diluting LH 151 instead, if you can find it.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 9:06 pm   Permalink

Yes Drink Up NY has the new label, I still have the old label 151 LH & the new one, and am out of the LH 80 original

I have been using ED 12 year as a sub for it because I have not toned down the 151 bottle on my own yet

[ This Message was edited by: Dapuma1 2013-06-20 21:10 ]

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 08:21 am   Permalink

It's been years since I've found the LH 80, so I've been using the El Dordado 5. I've tried Bacardi Select as a substitute and definitely prefer the ED. While the Bacardi Select smelled promising I found the taste to be a rather plain, "alcohol" flavor. Since we're on the subject any other Bacardi rum worth trying out, like Bacardi 8?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 2:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 08:21, Kill Devil wrote:
It's been years since I've found the LH 80, so I've been using the El Dordado 5. I've tried Bacardi Select as a substitute and definitely prefer the ED. While the Bacardi Select smelled promising I found the taste to be a rather plain, "alcohol" flavor. Since we're on the subject any other Bacardi rum worth trying out, like Bacardi 8?

YES on Bacardi 8. It works well in most any cocktail specifically calling for gold PR rum, is typically easier to track down that Ron Barillito, and at ~ $20 a bottle is a bargain.. I think that is the only essential rum out of the entire Bacardi line.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 7:35 pm   Permalink

Agreed on the Bacardi 8. It's my go-to in any recipes calling for a gold PR rum.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 8:11 pm   Permalink

there is a vast difference btw Bac8 and Ron de Barrelito...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation