FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151 question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151 question
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 9:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 20:11, thePorpoise wrote:
there is a vast difference btw Bac8 and Ron de Barrelito...

Agreed, they are different rums, and if I had my druthers and deeper pockets to keep the home bar stocked I'd always keep the 2 star and 3 star Barillito on hand as well. When I use Barrilito 3 star in recipes calling for an aged PR the resulting drink is usually quite acceptable, but I rarely have that and Bacardi 8 at the same time so I have yet to do much in the way of side by side cocktail comparison.

I have a soft spot for the unassuming Barrilito 2 star. Mixed with fresh coconut water over a couple of ice cubes, that is one of my favorite summer libations.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 9:41 pm   Permalink

Oh god I so want to insult you Bacardi lovers! but I will curb my proclivity for violence
this one time and say "Bacardi is not allowed in my Cocktail Dojo, not ever!"

Now kneel before Zod!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-23 2:51 pm   Permalink

IF you need a good aged gold puerto rican, try DonQ. Don't believe me? RumXP

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-23 14:51, Hale Tiki wrote:
IF you need a good aged gold puerto rican, try DonQ. Don't believe me? RumXP

DonQ Anejo is pretty much impossible to find here. Can get the gold anywhere, and the Gran Aneji too if you are willing to plunk down the money, but the regular anejo never shows up on local shelves.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-18 22:21, thePorpoise wrote:
wish i could find any of it in florida...

Just picked up a bottle of LH151 today at Roy's Liquors in Fort Pierce. There are four more bottles still on the shelf, as well as Smith and Cross and a couple of 1.75L bottles of Kohala Bay. Also picked up a bottle of Bittermens Elemakule Tiki Bitters that I am looking forward to finally playing around with.

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 2:28 pm   Permalink

Since we're talkin' Gold Puerto Rican, how about DonQ vs Cruzan? Cruzan is my usual go-to PR

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-24 14:28, Kill Devil wrote:
Since we're talkin' Gold Puerto Rican, how about DonQ vs Cruzan? Cruzan is my usual go-to PR

Cruzan is from St. Croix, but I assume you meant that Cruzan Gold is your go-to gold mixer. Based on the UK navy rum traditions of the Virgin Islands I am not sure the rum is supposed to be Spanish style, but the 5x column distillation doesn't leave much in the way of ester funkiness so I guess it's functionally more Spanish than English style. The 2 year gold is not one I have ever been too enamored of as a mixer. On the other hand, their now discontinued Estate Diamond (a 5 year expression iirc) was a favorite top shelf mixer that I miss very much.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 4:32 pm   Permalink

Hey Sunny & Rummy. Maybe we can trade. I'll send down some DonQ, you send up some Kaloha Bay!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 8:32 pm   Permalink

I use Brugal (from the DR) as my gold PR.

re Ron de Barrelito- I find that more similar to Pusser's, it has a whiskey character to it.

but back to LH 151-- aint there any in Tampa Bay?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-25 09:59 am   Permalink

So we have a method of turning LH 151 into LH 80. I have a case of old stock LH 80, is there a way to turn it into LH 151? Can I add PGA to it?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-25 7:38 pm   Permalink

Hale Tiki, I agree with you than Don Q Gold is a fine gold PR rum. I stock it as my standard gold for mixing.

Kill Devil, I'm not sure which Cruzan you consider to be a gold rum, Aged White, Aged Dark, Single Barrel? I have the Aged White and Single Barrel in stock and did a taste test of the Aged White vs. Don Q Gold this evening. I didn't include the Single Barrel as I consider it a very fine dark rum. I've always compared the Aged White to other white rums and didn't consider it a substitute for gold but after tonight's testing I think it would do in a pinch but I much prefer the Don Q Gold though. It's not my favorite white either as it is a little too funky to be considered a PR white. It is a fine rum but I'm not sure how to categorize it. I consider El Dorado White, El Dorado 3 Year, and Denizen very good whites for mixing but my favorite white is Bacardi 1909 Ron Superior. Don't confuse it with the standard Bacardi Superior, which tastes what I imagine rubbing alcohol to taste like. I haven't actually tasted rubbing alcohol though, really!

Anyone else care to mention their favorite white mixing rums?

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-25 7:45 pm   Permalink

Mount Gay or Barbancourt are my favorites.

I know how to make Lemonhart 80 into 151... Just half and half it with JB!

Anyone tried this Jamaican rocket fuel, JB? Anyone know where to get it here?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-25 9:38 pm   Permalink

My primary white mixing rum for most Tiki concoctions is Cruzan white. I am also one of those people who absolutely loves the way Banks 5 Island works in tropical cocktails that call for a hefty dose of white rum. That little bit of Batavia Arrak really makes that a white rum with depth.

For cocktails requiring a drier Cuban style white rum Flor de Cana 4 is generaly what I'll use. I judiciously nursed a stock of Havana Club 3 year Anejo for a year or so and once that was gone going back to Flor de Cana was somewhat underwhelming.

stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-02 7:40 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know of a liquor store in the Ft Myers area that carries Lemon Hart? I tried to see if Total Wine or ABC could order it for me but they said none of their distributors carried it. West Palm beach would be an option as I am always going to concerts @ the Cruzan. On the plus side ABC now has Ron Barilito 3 star.

Thanks
Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 06:04 am   Permalink

For a white mixer, I usually go with Cruzan Light or Flor de Cana Extra Dry. The latter is dryer, I think.

I'll also use Denizen or El Dorado 3 on occasion, both of which are nice. If I want to go top-shelf, I like Banks a lot.

Really, I think they're all good choices.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation