FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tahitian Inn, Tampa, FL (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tahitian Inn, Tampa, FL (motel)
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 08:36 am   Permalink

Name:Tahitian Inn
Type:motel
Street:601 South Dale Mabry Highway
City:Tampa
State:FL
Zip:33609
Phone:

Description:

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 08:44 am   Permalink

The Tahitian Inn was built in 1954 by the twins Joe and Frank Pupello, and it has always stayed as a family run motel. Still operational today, but it has been heavily remodeled. There current website had a number of vintage images on it, and I found a few extra, including a matchbook from one of Dusty's old posts. I found a 1968 article about a string of robberies that happened at the motel, and I just thought the detective's name was quite fitting - Tyree.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 11:04 am   Permalink

People always seem to get this place confused with Hawaiian Village because of the similar theme and they are somewhat close in proximity on Dale Mabry. Tahitian Inn is suppose to have an excellent Sunday brunch.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 11:08 am   Permalink

Wowie...this place looks great.

Awesome signage,and nice MCM design.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 11:07 am   Permalink

One the the top ten motel signs for color and light. I have this postcard with that great night time shot.

Here is a close up of the matchbook art and the back description.

Here's the Corporate America version of the sign today.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 1:35 pm   Permalink

Sad to see what this place has turned into.....

Stucco, Taco bell Tuscanny, "upscale" Spa/Hotel

http://www.tahitianinn.com/index.html

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 04:39 am   Permalink

that is ugly all day......however i like the fact that the little old sign for the office had spears that illuminate too, just like tha main sign out front... what a nice design detail leftover from it's heyday....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 4:20 pm   Permalink

man... my parents used to take me there. the new place has a great little restuant, but is is nothing like it was in the past.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 06:11 am   Permalink

Here's a nice little slimline matchbook.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-31 1:47 pm   Permalink

Not exactly fresh copy off the presses and does anyone really care, but Tahitian Inn gets some national exposure courtesy of Lohan's dad
who who succeeded in falling off the wagon and then the balcony. With Lilo's dad in jail again, I guess that says the tree doesn't fall too far from the apple?
http://m2.tbo.com/content/2011/oct/27/281010/lindsay-lohans-father-michael-arrested-kate-major-/news-breaking/

[ This Message was edited by: senioraqua 2011-10-31 13:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: senioraqua 2011-10-31 13:59 ]

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 12:11 pm   Permalink

A postcard showing the rahter lush pool area.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 09:38 am   Permalink

I was just cruising around & found this part of the forum, and I thought I'd share my little contribution to the local tiki scene...

these are the tikis I did at the Tahitian Inn here in Tampa, where I live.

Still owned and operated by the original family that has owned it since 1952.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 11:29 am   Permalink

Wow, with the logo font in the sign shape - nice work, Mahalo for returning the spirit of Tiki to a classic site!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 5:08 pm   Permalink

I have some kinda good news...

It's been a year since I did the big tikis at the Tahitian Inn...

2 weeks ago I went back to speak to the owners of the Tahitian (who, by the way are the original family who started it in 1952)...and they were very happy with the customer response to the tikis over the last year, and I am putting a proposal together (at their request) to do a lot more of them over there for the next year, making it into a little bit of a tiki spot...

I'm very thankful that that owners are happy with what I did there before and are considering taking it to the next level...this is a place that's 5 minutes from my house...and their commission of the weeping tahitian & big tahitian were pieces that a lot of people consider to be some of my best stuff, so I feel quite a bit of loyalty to these folks. They were treated me & paid me well, and the job helped me build a bit of a local rep.

Anyway, talking about replacing all of the generic tiki-bar catalog stuff they've purchased in the past for authentic stuff more reminiscent of what one might actually see in Tahiti...

Hopefully this will happen and I'll have some nice stuff to show you here soon, and I can do what little I can to honor & preserve our local history, as well as further something authentic...

[ This Message was edited by: pjc5150 2012-11-08 17:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pjc5150 2012-11-08 17:14 ]

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-10 01:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-08 17:08, pjc5150 wrote:
....Anyway, talking about replacing all of the generic tiki-bar catalog stuff they've purchased in the past for authentic stuff more reminiscent of what one might actually see in Tahiti...

Hopefully this will happen and I'll have some nice stuff to show you here soon, and I can do what little I can to honor & preserve our local history, as well as further something authentic...

Way to go! Fighting for quality in the Tiki Revival, one Tiki at a time! I am looking forward to your pictures.
Does the family have any old photos or artwork from the hotel's heyday?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation