FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge 78th smoke-free day! (the great Tiki central mass stop-smoking thread)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
78th smoke-free day! (the great Tiki central mass stop-smoking thread)
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-08 4:21 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine quit a few years ago. He was so into quitting and so confident that he would... he wanted to reward himself after a year of being smoke free. So for the entire year, he would put money in a jar... the same amount and same pace that he would normally have bought packs of cigs.

At the end of the year, he thru the biggest party (smoke free, of course)... it was a blast. Thankfully he didn't try to quit drinking. The party wouldn't have been as festive.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 4:23 pm   Permalink

Well, put it this way...booze is bad, but in moderation, it is not so bad....same with herbal "supplements"...again, not so bad...because you generally are not doing it every day or all day..not perfect, but we have to have some fun in life, of course!

At my peak, I was probably at about 2 packs worth of tobacco a day. That's a lot. That's 40 cigarettes a day!!!!

But to not smell like smoke all the time...wow! What a difference!!

I replaced it with going to the gym and working out (now that I can breath better). I have actually been to the gym every single day for two months now!!

And the saving money part is awesome.

2 packs a day is 10 bucks a day, that's 300 a month on cigarettes alone!!

Even if you do one pack a day, that's about 150 a month. That's 1800 a year. That's a Hawaiian vacation, basically.

So, if you smoke a pack a day, and quit for 10 years, you just saved 18,000 dollars!!!

And that is at today's 5 buck a pack prices. I expect they will go up even more in the future.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 4:28 pm   Permalink

Another great thing about going public with this, is that I am putting a lot of pressure on myself to stick with it!

How stoooopid am I gonna feel if someone catches me smoking on one of my breaks at the catalina kitchen, for example!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 4:50 pm   Permalink

The nicotine withdrawls have probably made you a little crazy. But luckily you are a musician and you can channel that insanity into the music.

The bottom of the Hula Girls songs are probably going to get real intense.

Seriously though, good for you. Hang in there.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 10:06 am   Permalink

Lucas,
if I see you smoking can I smack you up side the head?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 10:26 am   Permalink

HUGE Congrats Lucas...This is a momentous achievement!

(I'm next up to take on the challenge)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 11:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-09 10:06, bigtikidude wrote:
Lucas,
if I see you smoking can I smack you up side the head?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I tell you what, I love you so much Jeff that you can give me a smack EVEN if I Don't smoke!!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-09 10:26, Babalu wrote:
HUGE Congrats Lucas...This is a momentous achievement!

(I'm next up to take on the challenge)

Document it HERE! (It's fun, and embarrassing at the same time!)

Really, it's not so bad once you make up your mind...the mind is a powerful thing! Only the first 7 days or so are really the worst. Stock up on your favorite comfort foods, drink tons of water and get some sleeping pills so you can retire by about 7:30 each night...!!

(sleeping as much as possible is really a good idea!!)

For my first day, I just did not have a smoke when I woke up. (I normally would) but you see, I already had 8 hours under my belt as a non-smoker..then I just added to it, and added to it. Like I said, the first day was actually kind of cool. There is a pleasant, euphoric, light headed feeling all the first day!

You can do it, Babalu, and I am here to help you if you need it!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 12:02 pm   Permalink

my mom and dad quit smoking about 20 years ago,
one of the things that they did to help with the cravings was.
take 10 long slow very deep breaths.

the theory behind this is, people say that smoking relaxes them.
but actually the Nicotine is a stimulant,
but the long drags off the cig are what actually relaxes people.
they say that when a person smokes their Blood pressure drops right then,
but after shoots real high, hence the want/need for another smoke.

can you say vicious circle?

keep up the good Work Lucas, and others.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 12:43 pm   Permalink

Well done, Lucas! I've never even met you, but am very proud of you right now! And kudos on going public with it, because you know the TC crew will now hold you accountable! Best wishes for continued success and a long healthy life!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 12:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Lucas! Congrats on kicking the habit! One day at a time, just like the 12 steppers. Lots of good advice here for others who want to get off the sticks. Stay with it! Replacing the bad habit with good ones (drinking water and going to the gym) is a great way to go. You won't be sitting around stuffing your face with food to fill the need to put something in your mouth.

I had a similar experience to Kirby. My Grandad was dying of cancer (lymphoma - bad bad bad) and he sat up in his hospital bed, pointed at me and said "See what smoking does to you?" Well, I told him "I quit, Grandad!" and I did that very minute. Whenever I wanted one, I just thought about him in that bed. It wasn't easy but I had a boyfriend who hated it so he was very "helpful" in reminding me (I call it "nagging"), but I did it for myself and for my Grandad. For years the smell of smoke was annoying and I would crave them when I was drinking. And sometimes newly minted non-smokers tend to get preachy, that's not usually very appreciated. Now I can be around it and it doesn't really bother me. Now my other habits. . . .

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 12:50 pm   Permalink

Good job Lucas.

I quit cold turkey in summer 2001. Haven't touched one since. I too realized that if I even so much as took a puff, I would be hooked again. Before that time I had quit for 9 months and fell off the wagon at my sister's wedding where someone was handing out cigars. I didn't think a cigar would do it, but I went back to it full hog.

BTW: Cigarettes are more than (or close to) $10 a pack up here in Canada, so I'm super happy about the savings aspect.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 1:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-09 12:48, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Hey Lucas! Congrats on kicking the habit! One day at a time, just like the 12 steppers. Lots of good advice here for others who want to get off the sticks. Stay with it! Replacing the bad habit with good ones (drinking water and going to the gym) is a great way to go. You won't be sitting around stuffing your face with food to fill the need to put something in your mouth.

I had a similar experience to Kirby. My Grandad was dying of cancer (lymphoma - bad bad bad) and he sat up in his hospital bed, pointed at me and said "See what smoking does to you?" Well, I told him "I quit, Grandad!" and I did that very minute. Whenever I wanted one, I just thought about him in that bed. It wasn't easy but I had a boyfriend who hated it so he was very "helpful" in reminding me (I call it "nagging"), but I did it for myself and for my Grandad. For years the smell of smoke was annoying and I would crave them when I was drinking. And sometimes newly minted non-smokers tend to get preachy, that's not usually very appreciated. Now I can be around it and it doesn't really bother me. Now my other habits. . . .

How long has it been?

Also, I am trying not to be preachy....after a while, I will probably stop talking about it (and even stop thinking about it hopefully!)

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 1:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-09 12:50, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Good job Lucas.

I quit cold turkey in summer 2001. Haven't touched one since. I too realized that if I even so much as took a puff, I would be hooked again. Before that time I had quit for 9 months and fell off the wagon at my sister's wedding where someone was handing out cigars. I didn't think a cigar would do it, but I went back to it full hog.

BTW: Cigarettes are more than (or close to) $10 a pack up here in Canada, so I'm super happy about the savings aspect.

That's 9 years! Excellent!

Yes, cigars are very good at getting you hooked again!

PS, I have always liked your username! Makes me think of a private eye!!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 1:26 pm   Permalink

Not only that,
but I heard that Cigarettes have something like 250 chemicals that the FDA won't allow in food, but its ok to smoke.

go figure.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation